Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 06:15 AM

20,998 posts, read 28,576,880 times

Advertisements

I paid 160.00 which I think is cheap. no way was my snow blower going through 3 feet of snow at the end of my driveway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2022, 09:35 AM

450 posts, read 391,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
I paid 160.00 which I think is cheap. no way was my snow blower going through 3 feet of snow at the end of my driveway.

You can tell I am a rookie with no experience, I really thought 3 feet should not be an issue for a snow blower, but then again, how did you get 3 feet of snow? When you say at the end of your driveway is that from the snow plows piling snow on your side?

Old 02-07-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
You can tell I am a rookie with no experience, I really thought 3 feet should not be an issue for a snow blower, but then again, how did you get 3 feet of snow? When you say at the end of your driveway is that from the snow plows piling snow on your side?
yes from the snow plows and Live on a corner.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:01 PM

13,531 posts, read 17,084,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
yes from the snow plows and Live on a corner.
Yes, this is why I did a preliminary run including getting as much as a I could away from the front of my driveway, including going in the street starting about 20 feet before my driveway opening. This gives the plow less crap to push into the void left by your driveway. When they are forecasting feet of snow, you should really get out there when there is a foot on the ground. Not many snow blowers you can buy will get through 3 feet, especially if it is chunked up snow, ice, slush, rocks, and dirt that the plows leave you with.

Old 02-07-2022, 02:22 PM

450 posts, read 391,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Yes, this is why I did a preliminary run including getting as much as a I could away from the front of my driveway, including going in the street starting about 20 feet before my driveway opening. This gives the plow less crap to push into the void left by your driveway. When they are forecasting feet of snow, you should really get out there when there is a foot on the ground. Not many snow blowers you can buy will get through 3 feet, especially if it is chunked up snow, ice, slush, rocks, and dirt that the plows leave you with.
I suppose you never know which side will get lucky, right? If the plow goes one direction vs other?

Old 02-07-2022, 03:45 PM

13,069 posts, read 18,236,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tailgunner_ed View Post
I suppose you never know which side will get lucky, right? If the plow goes one direction vs other?
Most plows are at least in TNH are fixed mount and angled to the right, so the plow driver will reverse the direction he is driving in. So he will plow left to right and the opposite side will be right to left. Now I am only speaking about the large fixed mount trucks not a smaller pick up.

Old 02-08-2022, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Not going to happen. It's much easier to pay someone else.

Old 02-08-2022, 11:02 AM

659 posts, read 1,066,155 times
I know folks like to wax poetic about the good ol days, but do any kids shovel snow anymore.
With the going rates of what people are paying, kids could make a real good coin by shoveling and I'd certainly support any teenager doing it as a side hustle.
But I haven't seen a kid walking with a shovel in ages and I'd imagine most would be aghast at the idea.

Old 02-08-2022, 01:15 PM

4,500 posts, read 3,956,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVR1997 View Post
I know folks like to wax poetic about the good ol days, but do any kids shovel snow anymore.
With the going rates of what people are paying, kids could make a real good coin by shoveling and I'd certainly support any teenager doing it as a side hustle.
But I haven't seen a kid walking with a shovel in ages and I'd imagine most would be aghast at the idea.
It's very hard to shovel and read your phone at the same time.

Old 02-11-2022, 04:05 PM

724 posts, read 627,375 times
Do it like the good old days and shovel by hand.
300 dollars to blow a driveway is highway robbery
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: