Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2022, 05:09 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,784,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Nope , you know better …..

You can teach us all.

The idea is not to be a Rambo but to avoid shooting someone as much as you can
Unless you are in your home, how would you be carrying on the street here anyway to even be in that situation? Concealed carry permits are virtually impossible to get here.

Old 03-02-2022, 07:38 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,156,107 times
Quote:
One of the first things I learned in training is to avoid a confrontation at all costs if you are not at risk .

They taught us if we were going to carry a handgun to take a matchbook at the time ….wrap a bunch of singles with a 10 or 20 on top around the match book held with rubber bands ..

We had to practice flinging that as far as we could .

The idea is now at a hint of a confrontation that looks like it will turn nasty , just say you don’t want any trouble and to buy the guys beers on you ….then fling it as far as you can .

It looks like a big wad of bills so hopefully they go for the wad of money giving you a chance to get away ….

If not and you ended up shooting these punks it looks good in court that you tried to even buy them off.

So avoiding a confrontation is primary
So avoiding a confrontation is primary. Very good.
The rest, meh, every situation and everybody is different.

And yes, I have a CCP. And yes I have training. And yes, I am not an expert. And yes I like Mas (mostly good information) but I also know his real world experience is short.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I thought I would share this with my fellow long Islanders. This happened to me the other day.

I went to Walmart in Farmingdale and walked out to my car at 7:30 pm, my hood over my head on in the rain. I was walking in the middle of the parking lot, with cars parked on my left and right. I was almost at my car when I heard a woman screaming “next time you better wear your f#@cking mask.” I looked back and saw a black women staring me down about 5 or 6 cars away (or, 30’ or so). I said “excuse me? Last I heard, the mask mandate was lifted last week and no one has to wear a mask anywhere in public anymore. (I would estimate that half of shoppers in the store wore them). She said “Go ahead and cough again. I f@cking dare you.” So, I looked at her and said “ok” and then coughed. Again, I was 30’ away so there was no way it would get near her. . Well, she made a bee line for me and punched me in the shoulder with all her might. Gotta admit, that hurt. I asked her if she was crazy? She went in combat stance and screamed “what’s up! What’s up?, What’s up?” I said she was going to be arrested for assault and battery. All the while, her two young girls (maybe 7 and 9) were crying “mommy no”. I took pictures of her license plate as she backed out and sped off, almost crashing into another car at the end of the lot.

After calling 911, I was told that if I had no major medical bills, this will be considered harassment and there is no crime. I spoke to other police officers and I got the same answer. So, just know that anyone can come up to you and belt you, and as long as you aren’t severely injured, it’s ok. No crime has been committed. I don’t even care. I only think she shouldn’t get away with that behavior and she must be nuts to put her two young girls in danger. How did she know I wasn’t as crazy as she was? Why isn't this considered a hate crime? Or does that only go one way? This reminds me of the riots going on in 2020 where the police just stood down and did not enforce the law.
You should have just gotten into your car. The coughing routine possibly escalated the situation. Not a good move in most any case unless you were trying to provoke an altercation. Sometimes a simple "sorry" and going on your way is all that is needed. At least that's my experience in the real world.

Old 03-02-2022, 08:58 AM

4,534 posts, read 8,350,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woody516 View Post
I can't believe that she can assault you and get away with it because your injuries weren't bad. Seems wrong. I'm sorry this happened to you. That woman will likely go and do it to someone else in the future.

Sad thing is she could pick someone who will escalate it more into an extremely bad situation and it won't end well.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:56 AM

106,883 posts, read 109,133,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Unless you are in your home, how would you be carrying on the street here anyway to even be in that situation? Concealed carry permits are virtually impossible to get here.
While I don’t endorse carrying without a carry permit , long islands target hunting permit in the eyes of the law is a carry permit .

It is just stamped restricted to hunting and target shooting as per your request .

There is no such permit in state law as a target hunting permit , it’s actually a carry permit that is restricted

Since in order to get the permit you have to check the reason you want one . If you don’t check the box for target , hunting you won’t get the permit.

So if you get caught carrying it is only an administrative violation and they can revoke your permit . But it is not a crime.

See People v Parker (70 A.D.2d 387

That has nothing to do with whether you will be charged or not for the shooting .

Before they changed us over in New York City from the restricted carry to premise permits , everyone i knew carried …

So the permit issued in nyc would have criminal ramifications to it now unlike Long Island

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-02-2022 at 10:41 AM..

Old 03-02-2022, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
So avoiding a confrontation is primary. Very good.
The rest, meh, every situation and everybody is different.

And yes, I have a CCP. And yes I have training. And yes, I am not an expert. And yes I like Mas (mostly good information) but I also know his real world experience is short.
He is the first and foremost expert testimony in court in the country …

So a lot of what he teaches is based on actual court cases he was part of ,so a lot of the steps he teaches are from experience defending those accused in self defense .

His training techniques come from some of the most experienced professionals in the world . It does not have to be from his own experiences .

No doctor has all the diseases they learn to treat.

we learn by mastering a compilation of techniques from lots of different experts and compiling them into your own styles.

That is how I learned to be a drummer.

That is how the techniques at lethal force institute came to be.. they are a compilation of the best of the military and law enforcement tactics used round the world as it applies to self defense

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-02-2022 at 10:47 AM..

Old 03-02-2022, 10:52 AM

Quote:
He is the first and foremost expert testimony in court in the country …

So a lot of what he teaches is based on actual court cases he was part of ,so a lot of the steps he teaches are from experience defending those accused in self defense .

His training techniques come from some of the most experienced professionals in the world . It does not have to be from his own experiences .

No doctor has all the diseases they learn to treat.

we learn by mastering a compilation of techniques from lots of different experts and compiling them into your own styles.

That is how I learned to be a drummer.

That is how the techniques at lethal force institute came to be
First and foremost mostly because he was the first with the foremost of knowledge in the area. He found a great niche.

I've been lucky in that my dad was NYPD during the swinging 60s and 70s. Also over the years my circle has allowed me to be trained by former SF and MCMAP instructors, along with a few nice ranges that have some good setups including a kill house.

So onward and upward, how does one carry on Long Island these days? What's a typical EDC setup?
Here it's open carry without a permit, but that does tend to rile the Karens up, so better off getting the CCP.

Old 03-02-2022, 11:17 AM

How one Carry’s is all over the map ..but my favorite is thunderware.

For use in a car though a shoulder holster under a baggy flannel shirt works well .

Worst of the lot is the sob or small of back holsters …not only is retention very difficult but if you fall on your back you can break bones .

I assume that is what is meant by how does one carry ?

As far as what is used ? For civilians something like the S&W hammerless snubby , 640 is recommended by LFI.

It always goes bang , has no safety to worry about and most important can shoot through a jacket or robe pocket multiple times with out ever coming out like a pistol would have to be presented .

P+ hollow points or nyclads in standard loading are recommended as ammo

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-02-2022 at 11:44 AM..

Old 03-02-2022, 02:03 PM

1,332 posts, read 1,678,780 times
Reading this thread I feel like I am in The Streets of San Francisco or King of New York or GoodFellas!

Old 03-02-2022, 02:09 PM

3,290 posts, read 2,369,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
The bottom line is yes technically she could have been arrested, the problem is it’s just your word against her’s now without video or witnesses, or a real injury to show for it, there isn’t much of a case to prosecute.
It would all be on Walmart’s security video but they would not give me access to it. The police would need to request it but from their lack of concern, I would imagine that will not happen. It may have been recorded over a week later so that proof is probably lost. The police botched it all up because this is a big nothing to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: