Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2022, 03:49 PM

958 posts, read 1,106,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
Oh I see.Sounds stupid if you ask me.
NY state Law is very anti Self defense using a "LEGEAL " firearm. I know Police officers when off duty and with spouse or family that do the same thing. NYPD OCCB Queens 25 years. And SCPD 2nd Squad 33 years. Both family.
First, if the thug [s] are looking for cash Bingo there it is right there on the sidewalk. , I just gave it up and am walking away without a confrontation.
Second It proves I am not looking for a confrontation as I had already given up the cash .

I would like to ask you A simple question . How long have you be legally carrying A handgun ?
What caliber do recommend ? Do you feel that A Pistol has the advantage over A revolver.??
I ask because you sound like An expert, so I may learn something from you
Thank you for your time

Old 03-08-2022, 04:19 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevar242 View Post
NY state Law is very anti Self defense using a "LEGEAL " firearm. I know Police officers when off duty and with spouse or family that do the same thing. NYPD OCCB Queens 25 years. And SCPD 2nd Squad 33 years. Both family.
First, if the thug [s] are looking for cash Bingo there it is right there on the sidewalk. , I just gave it up and am walking away without a confrontation.
Second It proves I am not looking for a confrontation as I had already given up the cash .

I would like to ask you A simple question . How long have you be legally carrying A handgun ?
What caliber do recommend ? Do you feel that A Pistol has the advantage over A revolver.??
I ask because you sound like An expert, so I may learn something from you
Thank you for your time
I am not an expert but I have had good mentors ….

For civilians a great self defense weapon is something like the S&w hammerless 640 ….

While 5 shot it is perfect for street carry ….

Civilians are not in shootouts over a distance ..these are belly guns for use within literally just a few feet .

It has no safety to fumble with , it always goes bang with no jamming and most important it is highLy concealable .

But it’s greatest benefit is it has no hammer to snag and it can be fully useable from a robe or jacket pocket without ever being taken out .

That is important , because if you introduce it into a situation where it is not totally

warranted you can be charged with brandishing .

So by being able to get off five shots from within a pocket if need be , yet never exposing it , is a big plus to be able to pull off .

That is massad ayoob’s recommended choice .

I like the 640 with 38 p+ hollow points or even MagSafe or glaser safety rounds ….MagSafe and glaser made ammo for the sky Marshall’s ….they contain little shot pellets that can do nasty damage in secondary wound channels , yet not over penetrate and go in and come out hitting a bystander.

The more recent models can use not only .38 but also .357 magnum

But that .357 load is a mother , in a snubby ..but hey if you can handle it go for it .

Personally I think it is to over penetrative for this use .

The MagSafe and glaser rounds can penetrate a wood barrier yet likely won’t pass through a coke can .

Since it is small the 640 can be carried many different ways .

A wallet holster in a jacket is perfect ….in warmer weather thunderware is excellent , but it does have to be displayed to use …

If it is for use in a car , a shoulder holster under a baggy shirt is best. There isn’t much you can get to sitting .

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-08-2022 at 04:34 PM..

Old 03-08-2022, 04:29 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,771,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry87124 View Post
interesting indeed.

What are the accuracy you guys are getting?
lmao!!

Old 03-08-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
I am not an expert but I have had good mentors ….

For civilians a great self defense weapon is something like the S&w hammerless 640 ….

While 5 shot it is perfect for street carry ….

Civilians are not in shootouts over a distance ..these are belly guns for use within literally just a few feet .

It has no safety to fumble with , it always goes bang with no jamming and most important it is highLy concealable .

But it’s greatest benefit is it has no hammer to snag and it can be fully useable from a robe or jacket pocket without ever being taken out .

That is important , because if you introduce it into a situation where it is not totally

warranted you can be charged with brandishing .

So by being able to get off five shots from within a pocket if need be , yet never exposing it , is a big plus to be able to pull off .

That is massad ayoob’s recommended choice .

I like the 640 with 38 p+ hollow points or even MagSafe or glaser safety rounds ….MagSafe and glaser made ammo for the sky Marshall’s ….they contain little shot pellets that can do nasty damage in secondary wound channels , yet not over penetrate and go in and come out hitting a bystander.

They can penetrate a wood barrier yet likely won’t pass through a coke can .

Since it is small the 640 can be carried many different ways .

A wallet holster in a jacket is perfect ….in warmer weather thunderware is excellent , but it does have to be displayed to use …

If it is for use in a car , a shoulder holster under a baggy shirt is best
Don’t know where you get your info from but air marshals carried sig 229’s in .357sig and now Glock 19s in 9mm. They use standard hollow points no special ammo. That is a myth.

Old 03-08-2022, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Don’t know where you get your info from but air marshals carried sig 229’s in .357sig and now Glock 19s in 9mm. They use standard hollow points no special ammo. That is a myth.
Cant tell you what the sky Marshall’s use now but the glaser safety rounds were certainly invented for sky Marshall use .

“About The Glaser Safety Slug

Glaser Silver Safety Slugs were invented in 1974, specifically for air marshal use. Since air marshals do their work on planes, they need a round that is safe to fire without over penetrating. These rounds are designed not to ricochet and dissipate all of their energy in 7"-9" of penetration, making them great for self defense applications where bullet pass though is a concern.”

Old 03-08-2022, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Cant tell you what the sky Marshall’s use now but the glaser safety rounds were certainly invented for sky Marshall use .

“About The Glaser Safety Slug

Glaser Silver Safety Slugs were invented in 1974, specifically for air marshal use. Since air marshals do their work on planes, they need a round that is safe to fire without over penetrating. These rounds are designed not to ricochet and dissipate all of their energy in 7"-9" of penetration, making them great for self defense applications where bullet pass though is a concern.”
Ok that’s possible back in the day (they were called sky marshals in the 60s-70s when they were under customs) and back then they carried 38’s. I thought you were referring to today.

Old 03-08-2022, 05:29 PM

Nope , I don’t stay on top of who uses what , but I do know the history of the glaser and MagSafes

Old 03-09-2022, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Ok that’s possible back in the day (they were called sky marshals in the 60s-70s when they were under customs) and back then they carried 38’s. I thought you were referring to today.
Actually , doing some research on the switch away from fragmentation rounds , it seems the reason they moved away from the fragmentation bullets is back in the 1970s and early 80’s they did testing in to things like wet newspaper and other proxies as good ballastic gel didn’t exist yet for testing .

So the fragmentation rounds did show deep penetration.

But The pellets did not penetrate the new more accurate ballistic gel deep enough to meet the fbi specifications consistently ..

So many agencies dropped them following the fbi specs.

There are lots of reliability issues in pistols too with the fragmentation stuff ..

They don’t feed reliably so while fine in revolvers , semi auto pistols were a different story.

Because you probably cannot afford to fire enough Glasers to establish that it feeds reliably in your pistol because they are so expensive , they were not recommended for autoloading pistols. The Walther PPK, H&K P7 series and SIG P230, for example, are notorious for this failure-to-cycle problem with Glaser Safety Slugs.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-09-2022 at 03:15 AM..

Old 03-09-2022, 09:58 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,145,674 times
“So by being able to get off five shots from within a pocket if need be , yet never exposing it , is a big plus to be able to pull off .”

Yeah, that will be a fun one for you to explain to the DA.

Serious question, do you actually carry?

Old 03-09-2022, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
“So by being able to get off five shots from within a pocket if need be , yet never exposing it , is a big plus to be able to pull off .”

Yeah, that will be a fun one for you to explain to the DA.

Serious question, do you actually carry?
I never disclose what I do …..what I do is my own business

Shooting through a pocket when warranted is just fine …whether you are justified or not has zero to do with how you handle the situation if you are .

It is no different than a wallet holster that looks like a wallet and can be fired while holding it .

The fact that a hammerless snubby can fire without being shown is irrelevant if you are justified
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: