Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2022, 11:01 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,090,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Your carrier does not know who has informed delivery unless that person tells him and he remembers it. In any case the type of person who would make a complaint had likely made a complaint in the past, often over not receiving the weekly market ad and that delivery point would not have the single letter rule applied.

Now if the entire block, building, street did not receive letters the informed delivery means nothing at all because that is not an unauthorized skip of a delivery point but policy to get back in time. He will get into more trouble for going into overtime or double overtime pay status in order to finish the route and segments of other routes that postal management hopes that he could get to that day.

The only change since informed delivery is that you have a peak at the sausage being made in the postal service. Before computers were able to give you that information a 2 by 4 inch slip of paper with the carrier's explanation to C.Y.A. the station over that mail not being delivered was all there was.
If a mail carrier skipped part of his route on any given day, would the local post office know about it other than from complaints? Could he just leave the mail in his mail truck overnight or does someone look in the trucks at the end of the day? (I assume they use the same truck each day.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2022, 11:16 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,164,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
If a mail carrier skipped part of his route on any given day, would the local post office know about it other than from complaints? Could he just leave the mail in his mail truck overnight or does someone look in the trucks at the end of the day? (I assume they use the same truck each day.)
Technically speaking the carrier is supposed to call back and get permission from the closing supervisor. In fully staffed offices she may have carriers with work hours available that she can draft for help.
Where nobody is available if she denies permission the clock still ticks and at 12 hours she might get stuck with undelivered parcels at which time the fake scanner reports go into the system. The carrier merely fills out that half sheet report form describing what classes of mail he returned

Old 06-06-2022, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Technically speaking the carrier is supposed to call back and get permission from the closing supervisor. In fully staffed offices she may have carriers with work hours available that she can draft for help.
Where nobody is available if she denies permission the clock still ticks and at 12 hours she might get stuck with undelivered parcels at which time the fake scanner reports go into the system. The carrier merely fills out that half sheet report form describing what classes of mail he returned
Thanks for the reply but I was referring to a carrier who wasn’t following the rules and was intentionally skipping part(s) of a route to do less work or some similar reason and delivered the mail the next day. Such a person wouldn’t call for permission or help or fill out a report. I was asking if the post office would know that the carrier didn’t work his full route and if he could just leave the mail in his truck for the next day.

That is what I suspected my carrier was doing. When I asked the postal supervisor if he would know if the mailman didn’t deliver letter mail any given day would they know and he said it couldn’t happen. When I asked why not he said the trucks have GPS but who would be checking unless there was a complaint.

Old 06-06-2022, 02:16 PM

If it is say Monday and the carrier is pressed for time and all you got was a credit card offer he very well may defer it to ride along with a market ad he has to take on Tuesday. Will some also defer first class mail,yes. But inspectors also ask questions on why first class mail comes back. A supervisor can look at his GPS history but the system only alerts and highlights when a carrier is stationary for 3 minutes

Old 06-18-2022, 04:31 PM

Quote:
If it is say Monday and the carrier is pressed for time and all you got was a credit card offer he very well may defer it to ride along with a market ad he has to take on Tuesday. Will some also defer first class mail,yes. But inspectors also ask questions on why first class mail comes back. A supervisor can look at his GPS history but the system only alerts and highlights when a carrier is stationary for 3 minutes
I’ve been getting my mail ok since I complained but today I saw my mailman skipping other parts of his route. The carrier’s normal routine is to park at the end of my block and deliver mail to both sides of the block and then he drives across the next avenue and parks and delivers the mail for that block. After finishing that block he does the same across two more avenues on my street. Today he delivered my mail and then 10-15 minutes later I saw him drive down the street and leave. Usually after I get my mail if I go out within a half hour I see his truck parked down the street across the avenue and him walking around delivering mail. Today he was not around when I went out about 20 minutes later.

My mailman knows he has to deliver my mail if I have any because I have Informed Delivery (and have complained) but he skipped the rest of the street today across the avenues. I believe he drops off any packages with tracking but is still skipping letter mail at least today for part of the street. Of course I can’t prove it and I am getting my mail so I can’t complain but it is amazing he gets away with skipping letter mail delivery on part of his route. I believe he does it because he has a bad knee as I’ve been told and he does wear an Ace type bandage around his knee which is visible when he wears shorts. If no one else complains he will continue to get away with it.

Old 06-19-2022, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I’ve been getting my mail ok since I complained but today I saw my mailman skipping other parts of his route. The carrier’s normal routine is to park at the end of my block and deliver mail to both sides of the block and then he drives across the next avenue and parks and delivers the mail for that block. After finishing that block he does the same across two more avenues on my street. Today he delivered my mail and then 10-15 minutes later I saw him drive down the street and leave. Usually after I get my mail if I go out within a half hour I see his truck parked down the street across the avenue and him walking around delivering mail. Today he was not around when I went out about 20 minutes later.

My mailman knows he has to deliver my mail if I have any because I have Informed Delivery (and have complained) but he skipped the rest of the street today across the avenues. I believe he drops off any packages with tracking but is still skipping letter mail at least today for part of the street. Of course I can’t prove it and I am getting my mail so I can’t complain but it is amazing he gets away with skipping letter mail delivery on part of his route. I believe he does it because he has a bad knee as I’ve been told and he does wear an Ace type bandage around his knee which is visible when he wears shorts. If no one else complains he will continue to get away with it.
Actually he sounds like my letter carrier. So one who is too hurt to complete the assignment but the local district nurse doesn't think so. If they are able to get a couple of hours out of him a long term substitute can not be guaranteed his route so the sub chooses another it that almost vacant route goes into rotation for delivery when he returns with the undelivered part.

Generally speaking most offices zero out, delivery everything even push out ads before the advertiser's target date on the Saturday before a Monday holiday weekend in an attempt to make the Tuesday more bearable. Judging by the thin market ads and lack of advertising for a sale weekend businesses have not adjusted to having the Juneteenth holiday yet, or are holding on for the 4th of July and many places in my zone were skipped because they didn't even have the single piece of "junk" mail.

Old 06-19-2022, 12:58 PM

615 posts, read 448,935 times
Sounds like someone's mailman has a stalker.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourn traveller View Post
Sounds like someone's mailman has a stalker.
Stalker? My mail delivery has been skipped numerous times for well over a year. Observing from my home when he does and does not deliver to see if I am getting mail delivery is hardly stalking him. You are a bit of a drama queen to equate that with “stalking”.

Old 06-20-2022, 05:46 AM

13,057 posts, read 18,133,701 times
Quote:
Stalker? My mail delivery has been skipped numerous times for well over a year. Observing from my home when he does and does not deliver to see if I am getting mail delivery is hardly stalking him. You are a bit of a drama queen to equate that with “stalking”.
I agree. In fact, there are many people who rely upon the US Mail for medication and if a mail man is skipping delivery that could have serious consequences for people. I think the documentation you can provide is invaluable.

Not sure if this is the case anymore, but before we moved we had the same mailman forever. If he was off there was the same sub for years. Sometime in the last 10 years, they hired part time employees (read no benefits) to do the route. My former neighbor's say they don't see the same person very often.

Old 06-20-2022, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I agree. In fact, there are many people who rely upon the US Mail for medication and if a mail man is skipping delivery that could have serious consequences for people. I think the documentation you can provide is invaluable.

Not sure if this is the case anymore, but before we moved we had the same mailman forever. If he was off there was the same sub for years. Sometime in the last 10 years, they hired part time employees (read no benefits) to do the route. My former neighbor's say they don't see the same person very often.
The purposes for the of skipping letters and flats "mail" is to leave enough time to delivery "baby chicks and medications for our veterans" as the cry went out two years ago when in many districts 6 day delivery collapsed due to lack of staff. In fact it is now anything with a bar code. And due to the Amazon contract many carriers expend 8 to 12 hours out of their available 60 weekly hours delivering exclusively for Amazon on Sundays and holidays.

From the description of your specific situation I can't tell if it is a city or rural route but technically part time limited benefit carriers are not hired to do the route, but rather to fill in for a missing regular. If you off, as in once a week, on a city route that is another regular carrier who receives a small bump in pay and he rotates among 5 routes and covers everyone's off day. If we are talking covering for vacations, jury duty etc. then that substitute would have been considered part time flexible (PTF), but a career employee with full benefits and in smaller districts with little turn over many remain in that status for an entire career if those with seniority never retire.

But about ten years ago the city carriers union lost a fight in binding arbitration and the USPS created a new lower tier employee with limited benefits and not earning carrier seniority status that the PTF did was established. The new City Carrier Assistant (CCA) faced the same wait to become a regular carrier without the benefits and econ 101 worked as many quit to find something better to do and bingo lack of staff.

At the beginning of Covid the USPS relented and CCA service was capped at 2 years at which point surviving CCAs became career PTFs and started earning benefits. And a month ago still faced with shortages in 22 districts the service went back to hiring directly to PTF in an attempt to staff those places most short staffed. But it was to late as the system broke and CCAs faced never ending 12 hour work days and never knowing what day of the week they would have off. They could literally be a minute away from going home and then be drafted for 4 more hours of work. In my district of every 5 new hires we are lucky to see 2 make it through probation to be issued a uniform and since they see all the regulars around them also working 12 hours in an attempt to cover for lack of staff they quit to do something which allows the opportunity for school and family life.

On the rural carrier side with which I have zero experience you have the problem of the workload expanding because of the ever increasing parcel load and carriers are expected to provide their own vehicle
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island