Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2022, 08:12 AM

1,404 posts, read 1,542,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland34 View Post
Hello All,
We recently found out we have mouses running in the yard and left behind dropping around. If we caught them live, where can we release them?
It is illegal. Technically, all animals in NYS are the property of the state.

Per the NYS DEC:

Quote:
Relocating an Animal

It is illegal for you to move or relocate an animal off your property. You cannot live trap an animal and release it in a park, on State land or anywhere other than on the property where it was captured.
Mice are considered nuisance animals. As such, you can take them (e.g. kill) without a hunting license if they are a nuisance or damaging property. You can not relocate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 11:41 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,277,595 times
If anyone has a doubt that humans are the cruelest creatures on this earth, just read some of these posts.

To answer your question, put some catch and release traps in your house so if they come in, you can relocate them in a park or the woods. There is no reason to kill them. They are just trying to survive, like all of us.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:02 PM

462 posts, read 286,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post
If anyone has a doubt that humans are the cruelest creatures on this earth, just read some of these posts.

To answer your question, put some catch and release traps in your house so if they come in, you can relocate them in a park or the woods. There is no reason to kill them. They are just trying to survive, like all of us.
But, if everyone did that, we would be overrun with them. Ever hear the term, they breed like rats. It's like hunting, thin the herd, the stronger ones survive.
edit....I do agree that poisoning them is cruel. A snap trap and it's done in a second or two.

Old 10-20-2022, 12:26 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYLIER View Post

LOL are you kidding? they are filthy creatures that carry disease. If they enter my house they die. Period. Would you say the same if there were large rats in your house?

Old 10-20-2022, 05:29 PM

20,937 posts, read 28,438,415 times
I have used snap traps, those black plastic ones. I get a mouse in my house here and there. I just caught one this morning. Little field mice as I call them. Last time I had one was 1 year ago. They seem to be coming from the basement. I keep a trap by the basement door in my spare room. I also have birds and seeds get everywhere even though I constantly Swiffer and vacuum.

Old 10-20-2022, 06:48 PM

412 posts, read 289,784 times
My neighbors are nuisance animals.

Old 10-21-2022, 12:33 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
My neighbors are nuisance animals.
So are the Kardashians.

Old 10-21-2022, 06:44 AM

983 posts, read 725,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logical95 View Post
Recently found one running around the basement in the wash room, and turns out, there was a family of 5 down there that somehow got in the house. Don't know actually how they did, as I did not see any cracks in the foundation and where the basement windows are around the house we have metal grates in front of the windows, so i actually have no idea how they got in.

Needless to say, a combination of the glue traps and Tomcat mouse killer with the block of poison in it worked very well. Killed all of them in 3 days.

Just know that if you see one, there is usually more running around.
These glue traps are terrible. Inhumane. Baby killer.

In my opinion it's better to have a cat.
If you can't, trap them with humane traps and release them in any green area: a park, a botanic garden, a large green area next to a highway... I'm sure there will be animals in those places that either will eat them, naturally, or will die form other natural causes.

These are the ones I used successfully: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 10-21-2022, 07:30 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,773,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
These glue traps are terrible. Inhumane. Baby killer.

In my opinion it's better to have a cat.
If you can't, trap them with humane traps and release them in any green area: a park, a botanic garden, a large green area next to a highway... I'm sure there will be animals in those places that either will eat them, naturally, or will die form other natural causes.

These are the ones I used successfully: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
To me nothing is more effective than poison as they bring it back to the nest and it kills the nest too. Traps only trap 1 at a time.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:43 AM

983 posts, read 725,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
To me nothing is more effective than poison as they bring it back to the nest and it kills the nest too. Traps only trap 1 at a time.
I only catch them if they are inside. Honestly, I release them outside my own house. So I don't mind doing one at a time. It doesn't take long. And if you have kids, they can see the mouse and experience releasing it. Much better than telling them that you're killing them with poison after they watch a cartoon with a mouse being the main character.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island