Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2022, 08:36 AM

5,513 posts, read 7,105,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
It used to be a great newspaper with columnists like Pete Hamill and Jimmy Breslin . There was a huge TV and movie section with reviews and interviews every day . I think this was when Newsday was only five or ten cents so guess that was kind of a while ago. There are no more columnists really , not in the op ed section anyway .
I used to love reading Marvin Kitman's reviews.

I had a Newsday route in the 70's, my brothers and I had the whole neighborhood. I remember daily and Sunday was 90 cents and you were tipped a dime for the week.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2022, 09:58 AM

57,253 posts, read 26,186,773 times
They have done an excellent job exposing corruption over the years in the police department, school districts and politicians. I recall Sydney Shanberg writing about the Nassau Coliseum and Al D'amato, more recently Sandra Peddie and Joy Brown. The Roosvelt Raceway debacle up through Mangano, Cuomo and Skelos and they more recently had an award winning series on Red Lining by real estate companies.

Great paper for the local news.

I forgot who the columnist that did the weekly columns on human interest stories on LI with the handle bar mustache, Ed Lowe.

Old 08-07-2022, 04:16 PM

39 posts, read 29,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post

I had a Newsday route in the 70's, my brothers and I had the whole neighborhood. I remember daily and Sunday was 90 cents and you were tipped a dime for the week.
I did too, and I KNOW certain people would avoid me when I came to ‘collect’ with that little green book we got.

Old 08-07-2022, 09:36 PM

615 posts, read 448,147 times
Years ago, I remember working with a guy who always complained about Newsday. I suggested he try the Daily News or the Post. He looked at me like I was crazy and said, "that's a city paper, no way!"

Old 08-08-2022, 07:43 AM

5,513 posts, read 7,105,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enptguy View Post
I did too, and I KNOW certain people would avoid me when I came to ‘collect’ with that little green book we got.
What did we know about charging late fees?

Old 08-08-2022, 08:33 AM

2,439 posts, read 1,216,282 times
Quote:

Jeez haven't heard that name in years, apparently, he is still alive.

Old 08-08-2022, 08:57 AM

11,635 posts, read 12,698,340 times
Quote:

I loved Marvin Kitman's television show reviews.

Old 08-08-2022, 10:20 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,518,716 times
I don't consider any mainstream sources to be good or reliable, including the so-called "right wing" ones. These are the same people who told us we needed to send 100 billion dollars to Ukraine while paying $5 a gallon for gas. Develop a network of your own reliable sources.

Old 08-08-2022, 11:16 AM

57,253 posts, read 26,186,773 times
I forgot about Murray Kempton.

This is a George Will column based on reading an article in the NY Post when Kempton worked for the NY Post.

Quote:
Arriving in the splendor of Grand Central Terminal, I plunked down a nickel for a New York tabloid in order to see what was going on in Gotham. This purchase of a New York Post was a life-changing event because in it I found a column by Murray Kempton.
I do not remember what his subject was that day, but his subjects generally were of secondary importance to his style, which reflected his refined mind and his penchant for understated passion, mordantly expressed. Here, for example, is a sentence from his October 1956 report on President Dwight David Eisenhower campaigning for reelection:

In Miami he had walked carefully by the harsher realities, speaking some 20 feet from an airport drinking fountain labeled “Colored” and saying that the condition it represented was more amenable to solution by the hearts of men than by laws, and complimenting Florida as “typical today of what is best in America,” a verdict which might seem to some contingent on finding out what happened to the Negro snatched from the Wildwood jail Sunday

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-of-happiness/

Old 08-09-2022, 07:56 AM

3,517 posts, read 5,699,928 times
its a great paper for lining your bird cage
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island