Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2023, 04:49 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,273,545 times

Advertisements

I have gotten Newsday for more than fifty years . I enjoy reading it and once Wednesday or Thursday come , I do the crosswords .

Years ago , Newsday had great TV articles by people like Marvin Kitman .

Ed Lowe wrote a story about my daughter once . There were auto columns ( concerning traffic ) all the time and wonderful columnists
like Harriet Van Horne , Pete Hammill and Jimmy Breslin . Now there are no columnists whatsoever . I am not sure why . Are there any
columnists anywhere ?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-05-2023 at 07:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2023, 04:49 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
Currently it seems like the only institution willing to call out the corruption of the SCPD, ie the abomination that was the David Mascarella coverup. For that reason alone they serve an important role. I'm not sure if this incident would have ever come to light if not for Newsday. It doesn't matter how many cops you have in your family or how much you think the island will be overrun with crime if we actually expect cops to have to follow the same rules as everyone else. You don't have a soul if you are willing to look the other way at this story. That means you, "good" cops, and everyone else. The fact that they had the audacity to test the victim and not the perp because he was a cop....the FBI should be digging deep into this department.

https://reason.com/2022/08/24/a-cop-...the-cop-wasnt/

Old 01-03-2023, 09:35 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,645,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Newsday also sees racism everywhere on Long Island and did a big investigation about real estate agents supposedly keeping blacks away from white neighborhoods and in another investigation they blamed the police and county for the death of a black woman who kept going back to an abusive boyfriend.
It's one thing to expose injustice, for such is laudable, but it's quite another to gin something up: I remember in the 90's, they tried to gin up something over Farmingdale, which they described as being "Little Latina" - or something like that.

A writers' bias is ever present with most media outlets, but when someone pushes and instigates a narrative, it's divisive.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:14 AM

57,226 posts, read 26,178,741 times
They did a great investigative report on internal affairs for the two police departments and how they protect cops rather than hold them accountable. Police dislike them intensely because they were exposed of their abuse.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...affairs-e13007

Old 01-04-2023, 06:45 AM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They did a great investigative report on internal affairs for the two police departments and how they protect cops rather than hold them accountable. Police dislike them intensely because they were exposed of their abuse.

https://www.newsday.com/long-island/...affairs-e13007
Makes sense. Leftists hate cops.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:29 AM

57,226 posts, read 26,178,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Right wingers support Internal Affairs that rather than investigate cops end up protecting them.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Right wingers support Internal Affairs that rather than investigate cops end up protecting them.
Totally.

Old 01-04-2023, 05:10 PM

39 posts, read 29,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allergg View Post
Anything that is remotely political , Newsday will ALWAYS be biased in favor of the leftist side . On non-political issues , Newsday is often very good . However, i stopped reading Newsday about 14 years ago . I can't trust Newsday to give me accurate info regarding political stuff .
I find it good sport to look at CNN, then Fox, and see the different outlooks. Somewhere between the two lies the truth. Like Newsday and the NY Post.

Old 01-04-2023, 05:33 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Should David Mascarella have been allowed to maim children with no criminal prosecution because he's a cop and it's a tough job? Check that soul bro.

Old 01-04-2023, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Should David Mascarella have been allowed to maim children with no criminal prosecution because he's a cop and it's a tough job? Check that soul bro.
If a cop is a ****ty cop, which probably is a generally ****ty person, then yeah, screw ‘em.
Take ‘em down, Lock ‘em up.
My prior comment was “generally speaking”. And I think that should be obvious.
I mean c’mon really? Like anyone would want to see a clown like Tom Valva for example, skate just because he’s a cop.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island