Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2022, 05:31 AM

57,382 posts, read 26,294,968 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
Newsday also sees racism everywhere on Long Island and did a big investigation about real estate agents supposedly keeping blacks away from white neighborhoods and in another investigation they blamed the police and county for the death of a black woman who kept going back to an abusive boyfriend.

Quote:
Three Long Island real estate brokerages have agreed to settle claims their agents engaged in illegal housing discrimination based on evidence documented in a Newsday investigation, Attorney General Letitia James and Gov. Kathy Hochul announced Tuesday.

Keller Williams Greater Nassau in Garden City, Keller Williams Realty Elite in Massapequa and Laffey Real Estate in Greenvale agreed to pay a combined $115,000, which will support fair housing enforcement and training for real estate agents.
https://www.newsday.com/business/kel...ation-s9alxgu6
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2022, 06:15 AM

4,198 posts, read 4,097,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
$115,000 is a minimal amount to make this issue go away. I would call it a win for the real estate agents when they settle for a pittance when the governor and attorney general apply all their resources against you. They can make it up with commissions from the sale of a one or two homes.

Old 08-31-2022, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjsxx View Post
$115,000 is a minimal amount to make this issue go away. I would call it a win for the real estate agents when they settle for a pittance when the governor and attorney general apply all their resources against you. They can make it up with commissions from the sale of a one or two homes.
Back in 2021 there were other firms this is just the most recent and doesn't include the removal of real estate licenses.

It's difficult to investigate every firm but the importance is they have been put on notice and will likely change behavior.

Old 08-31-2022, 12:34 PM

2,641 posts, read 1,237,618 times
No

Old 09-01-2022, 07:28 AM
exm

3,732 posts, read 1,789,584 times
I still don't understand the argument against the real estate agents. Those RE agents have one goal, and one goal only: to make a commission. If I go to a RE agent looking for a house, do you think they'll guide me to Hempstead or maybe to a place like Rockville Center? So if you're an African American client, doesn't it makes sense to initially show them areas who are mostly black (or if you want to turn it around, not white)? I don't think this is racism at all, just the RE agent trying to find the best location for their clients. But hey, Newsday alerted our Uber-partisan AG and they found 'racism' with some RE agents. Silly them. Next time show them Manhassat, Garden City or Old Westbury.

Old 09-01-2022, 01:46 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,336,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
I still don't understand the argument against the real estate agents. Those RE agents have one goal, and one goal only: to make a commission. If I go to a RE agent looking for a house, do you think they'll guide me to Hempstead or maybe to a place like Rockville Center? So if you're an African American client, doesn't it makes sense to initially show them areas who are mostly black (or if you want to turn it around, not white)? I don't think this is racism at all, just the RE agent trying to find the best location for their clients. But hey, Newsday alerted our Uber-partisan AG and they found 'racism' with some RE agents. Silly them. Next time show them Manhassat, Garden City or Old Westbury.
A property we invested in, a black family served the developer group for racism! They offered 976k with 5% down. We sold to a white family that offered 968k all cash. The 976k wasn’t even 2nd best had 974k 20% down. All cash wins, one of the investors is a lawyer! It’s not racism if a minority doesn’t get the house when the bid isn’t the best. I wouldn’t be shocked if it actually went to court the evidence is so clear they will most likely drop it.

Old 09-01-2022, 04:49 PM

1,330 posts, read 1,676,416 times
Quote:
I read that Newsday report and did not find it very convincing. Very few agents were identified as participating in redlining. Newsday also conveniently left out any data related to black RE agents/brokerages whose business practices would also be considered redlining.

"Three Long Island real estate brokerages have agreed to settle claims their agents engaged in illegal housing discrimination based on evidence documented in a Newsday investigation, Attorney General Letitia James and Gov. Kathy Hochul announced Tuesday."

Old 09-06-2022, 12:21 PM

4,198 posts, read 4,097,251 times
Another thing with Newsday is their extensive coverage of high school sports. Players and their families must love it but it’s a waste of space for the rest of the readers. It seems like every day there are multiple pages of high school sports coverage and a pull out section on Sunday. They have cut out a lot of other content over the years but not high school sports. In over 40 years of reading Newsday there hasn’t been one time I read their high school sports section. Why would I care about some football player from Sachem or Ward Melville?

Old 09-07-2022, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by exm View Post
Real estate agents that placed black families in white neighborhoods in the past were not favored by local residents.

When you say black residents should be placed in in Black neighborhoods that is the exactly the problem that was recurring, attempting to push blacks into Hempstead as opposed to Garden City pretty much defines the problem. If you were a local real estate agent and placed a black family in a white neighborhood good luck community support.

Yes they singled out some real estate agents, naive to believe this wasn't happening across the island. Newsday didn't have unlimited funding to do this for each agency.

Old 09-08-2022, 11:26 AM
exm

3,732 posts, read 1,789,584 times
Quote:
Real estate agents that placed black families in white neighborhoods in the past were not favored by local residents.

When you say black residents should be placed in in Black neighborhoods that is the exactly the problem that was recurring, attempting to push blacks into Hempstead as opposed to Garden City pretty much defines the problem. If you were a local real estate agent and placed a black family in a white neighborhood good luck community support.

Yes they singled out some real estate agents, naive to believe this wasn't happening across the island. Newsday didn't have unlimited funding to do this for each agency.

Your missing my point. It wasn't that the realtors are "racist". The vast majority of them are not, they just want to make money. So if they are guiding clients to areas where they think a sale is more likely, more power to them. If the clients want to go see Garden City or any other place, I'm sure that the realtor would gladly take them there after asking if that's within the buyer's budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island