Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2022, 02:47 PM

544 posts, read 939,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suesbal View Post
That doesn’t necessarily mean fewer Jews, does it? More likely fewer who regularly attend services.
https://www.liherald.com/stories/syn...bellmore,82293

Many of my friends' families attended Beth-El.

Quote:
A change in Massapequa’s demographics necessitated the merger, Miller said. Many longtime Jewish families have moved out, often down South, as they have retired, he said. At the same time, fewer Jewish families have moved in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2022, 03:04 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P Larsen View Post
Mine is much more likely to be Euro + south and east Asian.
More like just south Asian eventually

Old 10-02-2022, 10:46 AM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Given the closures of local temples in my neck of Massapequa, there's a lot less Matzoh. Still plenty of pizza.

Long Island is a huge place. The ethnic composition of one area is certainly not the same throughout.
Hasn't been Matzoh for quite a while. Many left, mostly for Plainview, Syosset, Jericho, and the North Shore, from Roslyn to Three Village. This has been going on for twenty years.

Temple closings area significant indication of Jewish population in any town. Many of you are Catholic. Or were raised that way. Catholics are supposed to go to church (Mass) every Sunday. After years of persecution, Jews do not want to live in an area that is devoid of other Jews. All Jews do not - and never did - attend Temple every week. Protestants don't either.

Jews want to know that there is a place to observe the High Holy Days, Bar-Bat Mitzvahs, access to a Rabbi, a Jewish Education for their children, and many other reasons.

My husband - Jewish and sitting next to me, just said "Jews don't move to places with closed Temples." He is Jewish but never goes to temple. Yet, he wants one nearby. He also said that "empty Temples are worse. It means they moved out.

Last edited by sheena12; 10-02-2022 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: added comment.

Old 10-02-2022, 11:26 AM

412 posts, read 289,095 times
Magapequa.

Old 10-02-2022, 12:41 PM

3,450 posts, read 2,777,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hasn't been Matzoh for quite a while. Many left, mostly for Plainview, Syosset, Jericho, and the North Shore, from Roslyn to Three Village. This has been going on for twenty years.

Temple closings area significant indication of Jewish population in any town. Many of you are Catholic. Or were raised that way. Catholics are supposed to go to church (Mass) every Sunday. After years of persecution, Jews do not want to live in an area that is devoid of other Jews. All Jews do not - and never did - attend Temple every week. Protestants don't either.

Jews want to know that there is a place to observe the High Holy Days, Bar-Bat Mitzvahs, access to a Rabbi, a Jewish Education for their children, and many other reasons.

My husband - Jewish and sitting next to me, just said "Jews don't move to places with closed Temples." He is Jewish but never goes to temple. Yet, he wants one nearby. He also said that "empty Temples are worse. It means they moved out.
Christian denominations - including Catholics - are declining, too.

Old 10-02-2022, 01:46 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atypicalLIer View Post
Given the closures of local temples in my neck of Massapequa, there's a lot less Matzoh. Still plenty of pizza.

Long Island is a huge place. The ethnic composition of one area is certainly not the same throughout.
Agree with this completely.

There are far fewer Jewish families living in Massapequa now than there were twenty or thirty years ago. That said, demographics of one town do not automatically mean that it’s the same kinds of changes everywhere.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:12 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Magapequa.
Lol! I think you’re onto something there!

Also, when did living in modernized micro manicured suburb require the need for a lifted 4X4 pickup truck with sewer pipe exhaust, a winch, push bar, headache rack, and 35” mud tires?
“Bro-dozers” haha!

Old 10-02-2022, 08:20 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,768,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Magapequa.
A red area. The horror! you must be terrified to go anywhere near there outside of your safe space in your blue echo chamber.

Old 10-02-2022, 08:29 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
A red area. The horror! you must be terrified to go anywhere near there outside of your safe space in your blue echo chamber.
I still thought it was funny.

Old 10-03-2022, 05:53 AM

412 posts, read 289,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
I'm not scared.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island