Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2022, 05:54 AM

412 posts, read 290,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
A red area. The horror! you must be terrified to go anywhere near there outside of your safe space in your blue echo chamber.
I'm not scared. And I'm in a red echo chamber. And red isn't necessarily MAGA.

Last edited by isles08; 10-03-2022 at 06:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2022, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Lol! I think you’re onto something there!

Also, when did living in modernized micro manicured suburb require the need for a lifted 4X4 pickup truck with sewer pipe exhaust, a winch, push bar, headache rack, and 35” mud tires?
“Bro-dozers” haha!
Yep that's exactly it.

I've been to rural areas with much less pickup trucks. And somehow those working folks are able to get by with trucks older than 5 years old and without a lift kit.

It frankly comes down to feelings of inadequacy. And I'm not talking about you know what. It's about status and place in society...folks feel threatened, and these big toys make them feel safer. Frankly, having that 60k in the bank instead of having been spent on a new truck would make me feel safer.

Old 10-03-2022, 07:40 AM

20,089 posts, read 20,897,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
Yep that's exactly it.

I've been to rural areas with much less pickup trucks. And somehow those working folks are able to get by with trucks older than 5 years old and without a lift kit.

It frankly comes down to feelings of inadequacy. And I'm not talking about you know what. It's about status and place in society...folks feel threatened, and these big toys make them feel safer. Frankly, having that 60k in the bank instead of having been spent on a new truck would make me feel safer.
It’s quite comical. Seeing these meatheads driving around “Strong Island” with their all purpose apocalypse ready bro dozers. Too funny. Especially given that 99.8% of these trucks never leave pavement.
“The Punisher” and “Salt Life” stickers on the back windows of nearly every one lol!!! What a bunch of boneheaded retards.

I now live in an extremely rural area and you just don’t see this ridiculousness.
Every household has at least one pickup truck, but they are not bastardized into a rolling tard cart.
Here, they actually are a necessity. We have a decent sized 2nd homeowner population around these parts so I still see these morons around occasionally.

Old 10-04-2022, 12:43 PM

544 posts, read 942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hasn't been Matzoh for quite a while. Many left, mostly for Plainview, Syosset, Jericho, and the North Shore, from Roslyn to Three Village. This has been going on for twenty years.

Temple closings area significant indication of Jewish population in any town. Many of you are Catholic. Or were raised that way. Catholics are supposed to go to church (Mass) every Sunday. After years of persecution, Jews do not want to live in an area that is devoid of other Jews. All Jews do not - and never did - attend Temple every week. Protestants don't either.

Jews want to know that there is a place to observe the High Holy Days, Bar-Bat Mitzvahs, access to a Rabbi, a Jewish Education for their children, and many other reasons.

My husband - Jewish and sitting next to me, just said "Jews don't move to places with closed Temples." He is Jewish but never goes to temple. Yet, he wants one nearby. He also said that "empty Temples are worse. It means they moved out.
Temples in 3V are shrinking, too. Gradual uptick in ethnicities who are some from of Christian or Muslim.

Old 10-07-2022, 07:41 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,934,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isles08 View Post
I'm not scared.
Me neither although I am often I guess one might say ‘bemused’. It reminds me of the culture joke where one asks, “What’s the difference between (one names the place ) & yogurt?”

Answer: “Yogurt has an active living culture.”

Many moons ago the named place was often LA as often compared to NY. Culture wars. What a concept.

Old 10-08-2022, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Me neither although I am often I guess one might say ‘bemused’. It reminds me of the culture joke where one asks, “What’s the difference between (one names the place ) & yogurt?”

Answer: “Yogurt has an active living culture.”

Many moons ago the named place was often LA as often compared to NY. Culture wars. What a concept.
That's a good way to put it...I'm bemused...often entertained...but just as often disappointed...and annoyed.

Old 10-13-2022, 07:11 AM

1,110 posts, read 673,280 times
Plainview = Complainview

Old 10-15-2022, 11:16 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,934,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA Bubbleup View Post
Plainview = Complainview
Hahaha, although customers of this store in Plainview have legit reasons to complain:

Long Island ‘boutique’ owner nabbed with $40M in fake designer goods

https://nypost.com/2022/10/11/long-i...er-goods-cops/
Nassau County detectives recovered 22 printing presses at the store that were used to create “thousands of synthetic heat-sealed counterfeit labels,” which Castelli would then attach to the cheap clothing items before jacking their price way up, police said.

“A simple $10 sweatshirt, you put the Chanel brand on it, it sells for $5,300,” Nassau County Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder said at a press conference.

“They would take a hat, a $3 hat, a 50-cent item on the side. They would heat-seal it onto the hat and sell the hat for $300,’’ Ryder said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island