Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2022, 09:41 AM

8,517 posts, read 3,788,737 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
And as the spouse of a Hispanic person, damn glad to have them.

I'd love to also welcome the black vote to the independent or GOP, but for some reason those voters seem to believe more of the same is going to somehow benefit them one day. You only have power if you're willing to put your vote elsewhere.
And you would have the black vote if you didn't have alt right marchers in VA chanting with tiki torches and guys wrapped in MAGA flags making nooses.

Black voters ARE the Democratic party. They have dysfunctional cities and enclaves but it's THEIRS. The GOP has tries to have it both ways with the wink and nod to the supremacists in the party like Jeff sessions and then say hey come join us . Nope.

That strategy works better with Latinos cause a lot don't like black people anyway and come from deeply racial divided countries. But the GOP comes up with great ways to even drive away THOSE voters. Amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2022, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Depends on where though, the black vote holds a lot more sway in certain seats and virtually none in others. One thing is for sure the black vote is absolutely crucial for democrats in presidential elections, I think I read that if they ever lost something like just 20% of the black vote they would have virtually no chance of winning. Thats also a very narrow minded view of the Hispanic electorate, they are not a monolithic voting block like blacks are, nor did all their parents come here illegally (a ridiculous blanket statement). Example, Desantis won FL puerto ricans by like 8%, there are exactly zero illegals in that group.
This may be anecdotal evidence lol but my Peruvian friends all came here illegally . Their stories are fascinating . One thing they all have in common is that they don't want any MORE Peruvians coming here. They enjoy being the ones who MADE it and have great pride at being able to flaunt their NY wealth in the faces of their friends and family back "home". And when I say illegal I mean sneaking across border in back of truck full of fruit. That is kicking the ladder at its finest. GOP should have no problem picking up those voters.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:53 AM

5,314 posts, read 4,821,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
And you would have the black vote if you didn't have alt right marchers in VA chanting with tiki torches and guys wrapped in MAGA flags making nooses.

Black voters ARE the Democratic party. They have dysfunctional cities and enclaves but it's THEIRS. The GOP has tries to have it both ways with the wink and nod to the supremacists in the party like Jeff sessions and then say hey come join us . Nope.

That strategy works better with Latinos cause a lot don't like black people anyway and come from deeply racial divided countries. But the GOP comes up with great ways to even drive away THOSE voters. Amazing.
Didn't drive them away this election, did even better with Hispanics than 2020.

Old 11-14-2022, 10:15 AM

Quote:
This may be anecdotal evidence lol but my Peruvian friends all came here illegally . Their stories are fascinating . One thing they all have in common is that they don't want any MORE Peruvians coming here. They enjoy being the ones who MADE it and have great pride at being able to flaunt their NY wealth in the faces of their friends and family back "home". And when I say illegal I mean sneaking across border in back of truck full of fruit. That is kicking the ladder at its finest. GOP should have no problem picking up those voters.
LOL Anecdotal dosen't even begin to describe that "example"

Old 11-14-2022, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Didn't drive them away this election, did even better with Hispanics than 2020.
Winning is the key right? You need a massive shift . A lot can happen in two years and the Democrats have time to focus on the Latin electorate.

Old 11-14-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Winning is the key right? You need a massive shift . A lot can happen in two years and the Democrats have time to focus on the Latin electorate.
The shift has been massive and is part of the reason FL really isn't in play for democrats anymore. Not a single democrat holds statewide office in Texas (which for years dems claimed would start to turn blue). It just isn't enough nationwide. Yet. These kinds of voting shifts don't happen in 1 election cycle. The Dems literally have their entire future staked on the assumption that Hispanics will automatically just vote for them en masse until the end of time, instead less of them do with every election. Yep a lot can happen in 2 years. Buckle up. The dems have one of their toughest Senate maps in decades coming up in 2024.The GOP had a tough map this year but likely kept it 50/50 and despite not much of a red wave dud, still looks like it will flip the house. If you call that "winning" congrats I guess.

Last edited by peconic117; 11-14-2022 at 01:14 PM..

Old 11-14-2022, 01:51 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,181,933 times
Quote:

Umm, no. The black vote has been locked up by the Dems long before Trump.

So black voters would rather have dysfunctional crime ridden cities with bad schools than prosperous ones with top schools? Interesting, and generally not my experience. I think the truth for why many black people vote Democrat is that they just do it as part of their identity (which is common for many including at one point my immigrant family). Which also makes their power weak. If they want real power they'd be pure purple instead of red or blue, and every election pols would be fighting for their votes. And don't kid yourself, black voters are not the Democratic party, they are used by the Democratic party, the same way the Republicans use various groups.

So it's all because white people, Asian people, Hispanic people all hate black people? If that's true (it's not in my house) then you should ask yourself why that is? What do those groups see that makes them feel that way?

Old 11-14-2022, 02:49 PM

226 posts, read 130,788 times
Quote:
The black vote has been locked up by the Dems long before Trump.
Have you ever asked yourself why that is? Especially since for many, many, many decades, the few black Americans who could vote unimpeded tended to vote for the Republicans seeing as how Honest Abe was a Republican and the pro-Jim Crow Dixiecrats were Democrats?

Could the fact that the former Dixiecrats became Republicans after 1964 possibly have anything to do with that? Or is that too obvious and too simple an explanation?

Old 11-14-2022, 05:56 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,181,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renifer Erop View Post
Have you ever asked yourself why that is? Especially since for many, many, many decades, the few black Americans who could vote unimpeded tended to vote for the Republicans seeing as how Honest Abe was a Republican and the pro-Jim Crow Dixiecrats were Democrats?

Could the fact that the former Dixiecrats became Republicans after 1964 possibly have anything to do with that? Or is that too obvious and too simple an explanation?
Yes I have and it wasn't really the Dixiecrats. The first big move was under FDR, with the second move under LBJ with the Civil Rights Act, which his opponent, Barry Goldwater, voted against. Not a good move to which MLK did a big get out the vote drive which sealed the deal. Oddly enough Goldwater was pro-gay rights, pro-abortion and MLK even admitted that Goldwater wasn't a racist but that his ideas for small government and moving things to the States would be used by racists, and while I'm a small government person I agree with MLK on this.

But black Americans were already majority Democrat with another good reason of desegregating the armed forces (which I agree with) and I think opening up jobs to blacks in the Federal government (fact check me on that).

The Republicans really dropped the ball back then, which set blacks up to now traditionally vote D, but those explanations don't account for why black Americans, who haven't done exceptionally well under Democrats in more recent times, stay voting Democrat rather than using their vote to better their situation.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Umm, no. The black vote has been locked up by the Dems long before Trump.

So black voters would rather have dysfunctional crime ridden cities with bad schools than prosperous ones with top schools? Interesting, and generally not my experience. I think the truth for why many black people vote Democrat is that they just do it as part of their identity (which is common for many including at one point my immigrant family). Which also makes their power weak. If they want real power they'd be pure purple instead of red or blue, and every election pols would be fighting for their votes. And don't kid yourself, black voters are not the Democratic party, they are used by the Democratic party, the same way the Republicans use various groups.

So it's all because white people, Asian people, Hispanic people all hate black people? If that's true (it's not in my house) then you should ask yourself why that is? What do those groups see that makes them feel that way?
I said it's theirs. They are in power. And yes it's their identity. There is no Democratic party without blacks. Simple as that. for my republican friends let that sink in. Everytime you say "black folks need to get off the democratic plantation" it just makes blacks triple down on it. Not a good startegy. Better strategy is to offer a package blacks can vote for. MAGA ain't it. If you think rednecks in lifted pickup trucks with huge F Brandon and Kamala flags Rolling coal on cyclists is the answer then keep doing it. It's the equivalent of "defund the police " nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island