Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2022, 10:32 AM

983 posts, read 730,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
Go for it!!!! We shut off the spigot and stopped the red dribble .
Unfortunately, as opposed to most civilized countries in the world, here I risk being shot dead for celebrating that in public.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 01:14 PM

13,068 posts, read 18,229,359 times
Another problem with politics in general here in the US is that votes are "bought". I will offer a few examples, in the 2020 election, Biden said early on that he would have a female running mate. He hit the trifecta with a female, minority and a nitwit. We are paying off $10k - 20K of school debt.

Personally as a female who competed with males in my business career, while I was disappointed when I lost out on a promotion to a male, the only time it really bothered me was when I was the better qualified. I find it rather sad that politicians nominate and in certain cases if applicable, we as voters will vote for a woman - qualified or not based solely upon her gender. I also will say that I find it an insult to nominate a minority provided there are more qualified people out there. In Biden's case as scary as he is - I personally prefer him to "word salad Harris."

I want the most qualified person to run this county and I don't care if they are green and have antenna - so long as they are smart, savvy and not a career politician.

The more the "free" the better they love the messenger. Lest, anyone think that I am suffering as a senior note than others and that is why I want the opposition - I can assure you, that is not the case. I will probably benefit more staying the course with the Dems. My problem is unless someone can explain to me how we are going to be able to dig ourselves out of the debt hole we are in, I am concerned for the future generation.

Lastly if they wanted to pay off school debt, it might have taken a bit longer bit they should have made payments directly to the institutions and not to the students who are now the recipient of a check. Wonder how many that have received them already are actually paying the loans down?

Old 11-13-2022, 02:45 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,169,051 times
Quote:
That's a great way to pick up the black vote. Should be on every flyer
Hey, those were riots, not protests, plain and simple. Do I care why there were riots over protests? No.

Old 11-13-2022, 04:30 PM

93 posts, read 42,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrpepelepeu View Post
Unfortunately, as opposed to most civilized countries in the world, here I risk being shot dead for celebrating that in public.
lol wat

Old 11-13-2022, 05:16 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,801,078 times
Quote:
???

Old 11-14-2022, 07:41 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,777,993 times
Quote:
Nope..my yard signs are out. Loud and proud. I can survive the dirty looks.

Old 11-14-2022, 07:48 AM

8,518 posts, read 3,777,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Another problem with politics in general here in the US is that votes are "bought". I will offer a few examples, in the 2020 election, Biden said early on that he would have a female running mate. He hit the trifecta with a female, minority and a nitwit. We are paying off $10k - 20K of school debt.

Personally as a female who competed with males in my business career, while I was disappointed when I lost out on a promotion to a male, the only time it really bothered me was when I was the better qualified. I find it rather sad that politicians nominate and in certain cases if applicable, we as voters will vote for a woman - qualified or not based solely upon her gender. I also will say that I find it an insult to nominate a minority provided there are more qualified people out there. In Biden's case as scary as he is - I personally prefer him to "word salad Harris."

I want the most qualified person to run this county and I don't care if they are green and have antenna - so long as they are smart, savvy and not a career politician.

The more the "free" the better they love the messenger. Lest, anyone think that I am suffering as a senior note than others and that is why I want the opposition - I can assure you, that is not the case. I will probably benefit more staying the course with the Dems. My problem is unless someone can explain to me how we are going to be able to dig ourselves out of the debt hole we are in, I am concerned for the future generation.

Lastly if they wanted to pay off school debt, it might have taken a bit longer bit they should have made payments directly to the institutions and not to the students who are now the recipient of a check. Wonder how many that have received them already are actually paying the loans down?
I agree. Best person for the job period. That's great and honorable but that's not how American politics works. If that was the case Trump would never have been elected and Sarah Palin wouldn't have been a thought in John McCains mind. Politics is not and never has been a clean game. Democrats can't win without the black vote. That ten percent is a game changer and can flip a red seat to blue overnight. It has always been the wildcard. That is changing as more Latin voters are entering the electorate. Their parents came illegally but they were born here and want to kick the ladder down now that they are here benefiting . Those are your next GOP voters.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:15 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,169,051 times
And as the spouse of a Hispanic person, damn glad to have them.

I'd love to also welcome the black vote to the independent or GOP, but for some reason those voters seem to believe more of the same is going to somehow benefit them one day. You only have power if you're willing to put your vote elsewhere.

Old 11-14-2022, 08:22 AM

5,300 posts, read 4,801,078 times
Quote:
I agree. Best person for the job period. That's great and honorable but that's not how American politics works. If that was the case Trump would never have been elected and Sarah Palin wouldn't have been a thought in John McCains mind. Politics is not and never has been a clean game. Democrats can't win without the black vote. That ten percent is a game changer and can flip a red seat to blue overnight. It has always been the wildcard. That is changing as more Latin voters are entering the electorate. Their parents came illegally but they were born here and want to kick the ladder down now that they are here benefiting . Those are your next GOP voters.
Depends on where though, the black vote holds a lot more sway in certain seats and virtually none in others. One thing is for sure the black vote is absolutely crucial for democrats in presidential elections, I think I read that if they ever lost something like just 20% of the black vote they would have virtually no chance of winning. Thats also a very narrow minded view of the Hispanic electorate, they are not a monolithic voting block like blacks are, nor did all their parents come here illegally (a ridiculous blanket statement). Example, Desantis won FL puerto ricans by like 8%, there are exactly zero illegals in that group.

Old 11-14-2022, 09:04 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,050,561 times
My "hardcore" GOP friends, especially the vocal 45 supporters, are just plain blown away that they didn't get the red wave he promised... they can't believe it... frankly, it's just plain lazy... all their posts about stealing and electing a zombie in PA, etc... they never even consider for a second how strong the identity politics are... identity politics that they are participating in themselves... no consideration that the majority would rather have an inanimate object representing them then let the train wreck continue... still whining and screeching about "stealing", still ignoring the ridiculous policies on huge hot button issues like abortion... no regard that they are on a sinking ship.

If they're smart they'll actually wake the GOP up to policies that matter... 2 more years of conspiracy theories is going to just give a mind addled Biden 4 more years... and yes, that's WAY better than putting 45 back in... the truth hurts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island