Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 11:23 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,050,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
LOL "voter suppression" right there your entire ridiculous rant was exposed for what it was. Not even going to bother to argue with you on that ridiculous point because I know it will be like talking to a wall. And no, Im no Trump guy, he was a great disappointment as president and is now self imploding, he also likely won't even be able to run as he almost certainly will be indicted at this point by either the DOJ or Atlanta DA (or both).
Triggered! lol - your use of "we" throughout tells us all we need to know about your identity politics... your team is all that matters, even if the candidate is atrocious.

As for "suppression", use whatever word you want that means "less votes"... it's proven that when less people vote, the better the GOP does... so, it's that simple... simmer down and relax.... I thought I was pointing out the obvious.

If you believe that he won't run, you're not thinking straight... he can only call the "attacks" on him political if he's actively running for office, so it's critical to him that he is running... and since he's running, his ego will continue to trash anyone who is not "loyal" to him and kiss his ring... and you will vote for him regardless because he's your team.

Quote:
And I don't think you understand how the house works. We likely will have the speakership and all committee chairs. Outside of budget, the speaker decides what goes to the floor for a vote with very few exceptions. The GOP also follows the "Hastert" rule meaning only votes the conference overwhelmingly supports goes to the floor. This is why immigration reform failed years ago, the dems likely had enough GOP defectors in the house to squeak it by, but since the conference was against it, it never got to the floor for a vote. Pelosi also would never bring anything to the floor she wasnt sure would pass, nor did any GOP legislation ever see the light of day. Face facts the Biden agenda is effectively DOA for the next 2 years, there is no "flipping a few key votes" when those votes will never happen. Its the same in the senate which will likely be 50/50, Schumer decides what goes to the floor for a vote so the GOP dosent have a chance to flip someone like manchin.
You're looking at what I said backwards... I wasn't referring to the minority party getting legislation passed, I was referring to being close enough to "flip" and prevent majority legislation ever getting voted on / passed... which you seem to agree with... and it looks like the numbers will play out exactly that way... standstill.

Quote:
Oh and the GOP won the popular vote this time, by millions of votes. They turned Florida once a purple state, deep red pretty much taking off the table. Texas dosent have a single democrat in statewide office anymore. They made further gains with hispanic voters, held a key senate seat in blue Wisconsin, and flipped NV gov in a blue state. NY will also have the largest GOP congressional delegation in decades. Red wave certainly didn't happen, GOP got cocky and the polls were wrong, Trump was certainly a factor as was some absolutely awful candidates he pushed. Still Ill take the house (slim of a margin as it is) and halting any further damage any day over the alternative.
Let's be honest... all that is like telling me she has a good sense of humour heading into the blind date... it's just trying to find good in bad... the GOP should have destroyed the mid-terms, it should have been significant majorities in both chambers... significant gains in governors... it was a terrible showing... 45 was more than "a factor", his continuing to live in the past, his ego, etc... being the face of your party is a terrible look... and, most importantly, what you conveniently ignore by being blinded with identity politics is that policy and issues matter... abortion played a huge role in this election and it will continue to weigh on 2024 if there's continued state legislation taking the country back into the dark ages... a hot button topic like that matters to many people... it doesn't matter to you because you only care about your team... maybe you should take a step back and re-eval how 2024 will go with 45 out front of the party and continued shoving of faith based laws down people's throats... you better hope votes get suppressed to have a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 12:42 PM

5,300 posts, read 4,801,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Triggered! lol - your use of "we" throughout tells us all we need to know about your identity politics... your team is all that matters, even if the candidate is atrocious.

As for "suppression", use whatever word you want that means "less votes"... it's proven that when less people vote, the better the GOP does... so, it's that simple... simmer down and relax.... I thought I was pointing out the obvious.

If you believe that he won't run, you're not thinking straight... he can only call the "attacks" on him political if he's actively running for office, so it's critical to him that he is running... and since he's running, his ego will continue to trash anyone who is not "loyal" to him and kiss his ring... and you will vote for him regardless because he's your team.

You're looking at what I said backwards... I wasn't referring to the minority party getting legislation passed, I was referring to being close enough to "flip" and prevent majority legislation ever getting voted on / passed... which you seem to agree with... and it looks like the numbers will play out exactly that way... standstill.

Let's be honest... all that is like telling me she has a good sense of humour heading into the blind date... it's just trying to find good in bad... the GOP should have destroyed the mid-terms, it should have been significant majorities in both chambers... significant gains in governors... it was a terrible showing... 45 was more than "a factor", his continuing to live in the past, his ego, etc... being the face of your party is a terrible look... and, most importantly, what you conveniently ignore by being blinded with identity politics is that policy and issues matter... abortion played a huge role in this election and it will continue to weigh on 2024 if there's continued state legislation taking the country back into the dark ages... a hot button topic like that matters to many people... it doesn't matter to you because you only care about your team... maybe you should take a step back and re-eval how 2024 will go with 45 out front of the party and continued shoving of faith based laws down people's throats... you better hope votes get suppressed to have a chance.
No it dosent mean "less votes" it means voting shouldn't be a "free for all" with minimal regulations. Voter ID isn't "suppression", regulating voter harvesting and mail in ballots isn't "supression" no matter how you try to twist it. NONE of the things above stops anyone from voting. Im sure you are among those that think Georgia's tightened voting regulations "suppressed" the vote yet the voting numbers were record there and democrat superstar Abrams still got walloped.

I never said he wouldn't run, (he obviously is) I'm saying if he is indicted his chances of winning a primary are slim to none. I know you will say "the trump cult will vote for him no matter what blah blah blah" his base is eroding daily, this isn't 2016 anymore the GOP is moving away from trump slowly even though I'm sure you are dying for him to stick around. I guess we will see.

That's not what you seemed to say at all, but...ok. The House will only vote on legislation it has the votes locked in to pass, so again the chances of a "flip" are slim to none. This is standard, Pelosi held back votes all the time she knew she couldn't pass because of a few rebel members of the squad etc. And even when the GOP does pass legislation (and it will) it will be symbolic because Schumer will never let it go to the floor for a vote in the senate. Welcome to divided government. The GOP wasn't given the majority to rubber stamp more of Biden's agenda.

There is nothing wrong with finding good in the bad going forward, I fully admit the red wave was a total dud, but in some areas and regions it was not. Abortion wasn't as big of an issue as you think it was, and will continue to fade as the years go by as everything does, as this country has an attention span of a 2 year old. Roe v Wade ended and life went on, the world didn't explode and become the handmaid's tale. Most states already have their abortion laws set, it's doubtful much will change, oh and what you call the "dark ages" millions call protecting unborn lives. Its a state issue now as it always should have been. The GOP underperformed this election largely because of Trump and a slate of awful candidates, plus a lot of other smaller factors there is no one thing. And in many of the races we lost, we BARELY did even with some very poor candidates on the ballot. If the country is so outraged over abortion, Trump, etc then why wasn't there a blue wave? Why did the GOP still win the house? Why didn't the Dems win 6-7 senate seats with a much more favorable map (you can't blame Gerrymandering on that one) and instead just barely held it?

And please, save it with your typical blowhard sanctimonious "I'm above all of this" crap. That's been your laughable schtick on this forum for years, yet each of your political holier than thou posts just show how much of a hypocrite you are, and no different from anyone else. Give it a rest Mikey.

Last edited by peconic117; 11-16-2022 at 12:59 PM..

Old 11-16-2022, 06:05 PM

57,405 posts, read 26,398,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
Yep, came into the 2020 election with 199 the Repubs will end up with about 227. More than enough to prevent another green initiative.

We should all strive to vote for gridlock.
This country has many problems, praising gridlock is counter-productive. Both parties need to find compromise and move towards solutions.

Climate change is real.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:59 PM

1,351 posts, read 1,694,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
This country has many problems, praising gridlock is counter-productive. Both parties need to find compromise and move towards solutions.

Climate change is real.
You are correct we do have problems.

You must mean the societal acceptance of killing the unborn and government policies focused on death instead of the sanctify of life.

Or, government policies and legislation regarding compelled speech?

Or, government pressure to censor opinions in social media?

Or, government attacks on citizens at BOE meetings?

Or, the problem of having the government mandate a vaccine that doesn't work?

Old 11-16-2022, 07:20 PM

Quote:

Climate change is real.
One thing I can guarantee you, that you will not see in the next 2 years is any type of climate change legislation pass whatsoever. Sorry to be the bearer…

Also nothing counter productive about halting an awful agenda.

Old 11-16-2022, 07:52 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,777,993 times
Climate change legislation is dead. Capitalism is undefeated. The goobers will swear it doesn't exist right up until their couch is floating down sunrise HWay.

Old 11-17-2022, 06:26 AM

13,068 posts, read 18,229,359 times
All I can say is, I won't be here, but this world in another 25 years is going to be a total you know what storm. People have been complaining about SS running out of money for years and some how it always gets extended. Well with the debt we have and are continuing to add to exponentially that will certainly be gone along with other things, but the free will continue.

Old 11-17-2022, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmrlongisland View Post
You are correct we do have problems.

You must mean the societal acceptance of killing the unborn and government policies focused on death instead of the sanctify of life.

Or, government policies and legislation regarding compelled speech?

Or, government pressure to censor opinions in social media?

Or, government attacks on citizens at BOE meetings?

Or, the problem of having the government mandate a vaccine that doesn't work?
That’s quite the list. Don’t worry Twitter now has free speech, someone can claim insulin is free thanks to Rlon Musk. I don’t know of citizens being attacked but I do know there is a vocal minority that disrupts BOE meetings with their agenda. The vaccine doesn’t work? News to me.

Old 11-17-2022, 09:13 AM

Quote:
That’s quite the list. Don’t worry Twitter now has free speech, someone can claim insulin is free thanks to Rlon Musk. I don’t know of citizens being attacked but I do know there is a vocal minority that disrupts BOE meetings with their agenda. The vaccine doesn’t work? News to me.
LOL the vaccine does absolutely NOTHING to prevent transmission. NOTHING. If you cant see that you are either blind or brainwashed. It was an epic fail on that front yet still some are being forced to take it or be fired.

Now they just moved the goal posts to "if you take the vaccine you wont get it as bad". There is no way to even possibly prove that claim. Ridiculous.

Last edited by peconic117; 11-17-2022 at 09:24 AM..

Old 11-17-2022, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
One thing I can guarantee you, that you will not see in the next 2 years is any type of climate change legislation pass whatsoever. Sorry to be the bearer…

Also nothing counter productive about halting an awful agenda.
Yes the Republican Party in the US is a world outlier when it comes to climate change, what do those crazy elite scientists at NOAA know. Now they can claim it’s a hoax and make believe the temperature of the planet isn’t increasing.

Blocking climate change legislation is bad news for everyone on the planet earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island