Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2022, 06:26 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,947,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
How are you sure if your facts are really facts? At this point if you aren't fact checking every source you're just believing what's being told by a biased source from one side or the other.
No one thing takes the place of a process, imho. The Conspiracy Theory Handbook has some good advice & describes a plausible process, for example here:
  • Do I recognize the news organization that posted the story? Does the information in the post seem believable?
  • Is the post written in a style that I expect from a professional news organization?
  • Is the post politically motivated?
https://www.climatechangecommunicati...ryHandbook.pdf

Regarding the role of conspiracy theories in the events of January 6? Personally I believe the various conspiracy theories played a large role. Our system of justice & the various processes involved are not perfect but vigilantism, or state-promoted vigilantism is not a functional replacement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2022, 07:01 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,163,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
No one thing takes the place of a process, imho. The Conspiracy Theory Handbook has some good advice & describes a plausible process, for example here:
  • Do I recognize the news organization that posted the story? Does the information in the post seem believable?
  • Is the post written in a style that I expect from a professional news organization?
  • Is the post politically motivated?
https://www.climatechangecommunicati...ryHandbook.pdf

Regarding the role of conspiracy theories in the events of January 6? Personally I believe the various conspiracy theories played a large role. Our system of justice & the various processes involved are not perfect but vigilantism, or state-promoted vigilantism is not a functional replacement.
A few problems with that.

"Do I recognize the news organization that posted the story? Does the information in the post seem believable?"
People can know the "news organization" but it isn't reporting facts. And people believe many things on the left and right that aren't true.

"Is the post written in a style that I expect from a professional news organization?"
That depends on what a person would expect. Do they know what a professional news organization is? Even if written in a style that passes that test is the information still factual?

For example: A source that isn't stating facts, gets reported as facts by a actual news source, and is believed by a number of people. And it turns out it was weasel words.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/1...disinfo-430276

https://youtu.be/JTFke7NUyOc?t=100

Old 10-31-2022, 05:11 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,947,130 times
Quote:

"Do I recognize the news organization that posted the story? Does the information in the post seem believable?"
People can know the "news organization" but it isn't reporting facts. And people believe many things on the left and right that aren't true.

"Is the post written in a style that I expect from a professional news organization?"
That depends on what a person would expect. Do they know what a professional news organization is? Even if written in a style that passes that test is the information still factual?

For example: A source that isn't stating facts, gets reported as facts by a actual news source, and is believed by a number of people. And it turns out it was weasel words.

To expand on yours in a general sense, a source, or an individual, that tweets a conspiracy theory can potentially reach as many people as mainstream media. For example:

Elon Musk tweets and deletes link to article pushing unfounded conspiracy theory about Paul Pelosi attack

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-mu...nica-observer/

Tweet-promoted vigilantism is not a functional replacement for our Justice Systems & processes. It is like George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four with Social Media.

Old 10-31-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
To expand on yours in a general sense, a source, or an individual, that tweets a conspiracy theory can potentially reach as many people as mainstream media. For example:

Elon Musk tweets and deletes link to article pushing unfounded conspiracy theory about Paul Pelosi attack

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/elon-mu...nica-observer/

Tweet-promoted vigilantism is not a functional replacement for our Justice Systems & processes. It is like George Orwell’s Nineteen Eighty-Four with Social Media.
A few things:
Let's start with Musk's Tweet and what started it:

Linking to a Los Angeles Times story about Pelosi's alleged attacker, Clinton wrote, "The Republican Party and its mouthpieces now regularly spread hate and deranged conspiracy theories. It is shocking, but not surprising, that violence is the result. As citizens, we must hold them accountable for their words and the actions that follow."

Now that isn't inflammatory, right? Nothing in there to say to "citizens" to go after those others and "hold them accountable". Nothing like implied vigilantism. Nope, just best wishes and not her own deranged conspiracy theory.

What inside knowledge did Hillary have about David Depape? Likely none, but that doesn't stop her from Tweeting.

BTW Here's what Depape's ex-partner says about him:

"He is mentally ill. He has been mentally ill for a long time," said Taub, who last year was found guilty on 20 counts, including the attempted abduction of a 14-year-old boy near his Berkeley high school.

"He came back in very bad shape. He thought he was Jesus. He was constantly paranoid, thinking people were after him," Taub said. "And it took a good year or two to get back to, you know, being halfway normal."

To expand on yours in a general sense, a source, or an individual, that tweets a conspiracy theory can potentially reach as many people as mainstream media.

Very possible, but what makes a Tweet go much further? Reporting on a Tweet in main stream media over and over as opposed to letting it die. Making sure you get that deleted idea out there and make that the story.

Once again, we're not getting facts from politicians or media (both have become intertwined at this point) and it's hard to trust either at face value.

So at this point almost all facts are alternative-facts and have been for awhile.

Old 11-01-2022, 09:38 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,530,241 times
These days, a "conspiracy theory" is just something that intelligent people who notice patterns observe before the rest of the world gets the memo.

Old 11-01-2022, 05:23 PM

Or just make up.

These days most politicians and media people are seeing conspiracies, of course denying that they are conspiracies unless you're the opposition.

Old 11-02-2022, 08:18 AM

226 posts, read 129,931 times
Insert X-Files theme

Old 11-03-2022, 11:41 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,044,796 times
Quote:

What you are missing is how prevalent Confirmation Bias is in our society nowadays... it is compounded by how easily one can find a "source" to get confirmation of whatever you believe... whether it's Hunter's laptop, the Steele dossier, or as far down the rabbit hole as Pizzagate, you can very easily keep getting confirmation.

The posts here are a perfect microcosm of the bigger issue... talking point after talking point used to discount any news story related to Jan 6th... it's easily the biggest coup of Trump's ascension when you can get so many to ignore the "evil MSM" and made "fake news" or "alternative facts" the mainstream... it is now normalized to ignore stories that don't align to his greatness and perfectness... they don't even realize they are doing it, they have been completely assimilated into his thinking... anyone else is a "radical" and "evil" person... he can talk about a person being the greatest ever one day and the next day when they wake up to see him as he really is, they are torn to shreds... all he needs is a cute nickname or catch phrase...done.

What he and his "legal team" did leading up to Jan 6th is absolutely criminal... just put aside the events of that day for a second... Eastman needs to go to jail... but none of that matters when you can go on Twitter and see jokes about Pelosi's husband being attacked by a crazy in his underwear... just keep winning... when he's a winner, they are all winners by association... the truth doesn't matter... I wonder if it ever did.

P.S. next step almost complete... destroy any trust in federal law enforcement... with the DOJ and FBI hamstrung, SCOTUS politicized, and believers believing... check and balances almost gone... I plan to vote accordingly.

Old 11-03-2022, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
What you are missing is how prevalent Confirmation Bias is in our society nowadays... it is compounded by how easily one can find a "source" to get confirmation of whatever you believe... whether it's Hunter's laptop, the Steele dossier, or as far down the rabbit hole as Pizzagate, you can very easily keep getting confirmation.

The posts here are a perfect microcosm of the bigger issue... talking point after talking point used to discount any news story related to Jan 6th... it's easily the biggest coup of Trump's ascension when you can get so many to ignore the "evil MSM" and made "fake news" or "alternative facts" the mainstream... it is now normalized to ignore stories that don't align to his greatness and perfectness... they don't even realize they are doing it, they have been completely assimilated into his thinking... anyone else is a "radical" and "evil" person... he can talk about a person being the greatest ever one day and the next day when they wake up to see him as he really is, they are torn to shreds... all he needs is a cute nickname or catch phrase...done.

What he and his "legal team" did leading up to Jan 6th is absolutely criminal... just put aside the events of that day for a second... Eastman needs to go to jail... but none of that matters when you can go on Twitter and see jokes about Pelosi's husband being attacked by a crazy in his underwear... just keep winning... when he's a winner, they are all winners by association... the truth doesn't matter... I wonder if it ever did.

P.S. next step almost complete... destroy any trust in federal law enforcement... with the DOJ and FBI hamstrung, SCOTUS politicized, and believers believing... check and balances almost gone... I plan to vote accordingly.
Oh, I'm not missing confirmation bias at all and it's rampant on both sides of most any issue these days.

This is a very good example of what the average viewer is up against. The person in question, former CIA officer David Priess, was a signer of the Hunter Biden/Russia Letter. I don't remember anybody reporting that the letter didn't present any facts and was just disinformation. The only Fox News show I watch is the 6pm news, and maybe some of The Five. It would seem those involved in Federal Law Enforcement and Intelligence are doing a bang up job of destroying trust all on their own.

https://youtu.be/JTFke7NUyOc?t=103

Old 11-07-2022, 09:46 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,044,796 times
Quote:
Oh, I'm not missing confirmation bias at all and it's rampant on both sides of most any issue these days.

This is a very good example of what the average viewer is up against. The person in question, former CIA officer David Priess, was a signer of the Hunter Biden/Russia Letter. I don't remember anybody reporting that the letter didn't present any facts and was just disinformation. The only Fox News show I watch is the 6pm news, and maybe some of The Five. It would seem those involved in Federal Law Enforcement and Intelligence are doing a bang up job of destroying trust all on their own.

https://youtu.be/JTFke7NUyOc?t=103
Agreed... and it's definitely both sides. But, my main concern was specifically 45s disinformation campaign... sow doubt in media (check), sow doubt in elections (check), sow doubt in law enforcement (in progress)... you can argue that there's some truth in there and you'd be right... whether it's things like clinton / lynch meeting on a tarmac or feds texting each other about how much they hate him, it ignores that this has always happened... the correlation and causation fallacy is at play here and right over most people's heads.

It is simply a consolidation of power play and many are buying into it... simple or basic facts are ignored, because the correlation to something else is attributed to causation of it ALL being "fake"... all crooked... all radical... check and balances are going away... it is in progress.

Don't you ever wonder for an instant why we get all the dirt on dems... like a full DNC email dump, everything on display, but they can't even see something as simple as tax returns on the other side... nobody will even testify... subpoenas are meaningless...

Democracy was always just an experiment... seems that it has run its course at this point... I feel bad for the generations coming up... maybe they will wake up and vote, I hope at that point "voting" even matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island