Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2022, 05:54 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times

Advertisements

I am confused. I guess it is now legal to smoke pot here in NY. When I drive to work on the LIE and other parkways, I smell strong wags of it. That has to be a lot of smoke to blow into my car at 65 mph. Wouldn’t smoking while driving be considered driving under the influence? If you can’t drink and drive, how can you smoke and drive? I ask because I smell it every when I am driving so it is happening everywhere. Every street and every parkway. I don’t really care other than it stinks and is not the pot smell from my younger days. But if these people are impaired, I should care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2022, 06:00 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trusso11783 View Post
I am confused. I guess it is now legal to smoke pot here in NY.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z5n0XGHMFM

Old 12-21-2022, 06:27 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
I am confused. I guess it is now legal to smoke pot here in NY. When I drive to work on the LIE and other parkways, I smell strong wags of it. That has to be a lot of smoke to blow into my car at 65 mph. Wouldn’t smoking while driving be considered driving under the influence? If you can’t drink and drive, how can you smoke and drive? I ask because I smell it every when I am driving so it is happening everywhere. Every street and every parkway. I don’t really care other than it stinks and is not the pot smell from my younger days. But if these people are impaired, I should care.
It is illegal to smoke weed and drive it’s considered DUI. But like you I smell it all the time on the highways. Right now it’s a free for all.

Old 12-21-2022, 06:35 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,757,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
It is illegal to smoke weed and drive it’s considered DUI. But like you I smell it all the time on the highways. Right now it’s a free for all.
Growing pains . It's like the wild wild west out there. I smell it all the time as well while driving.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:39 PM

3,288 posts, read 2,360,116 times
I thought it was just me. I guess most people are DUI’ing these days. How would the cops prove anything other than the smell? So, if there are two people in the car, the driver will say the passenger is smoking. Pot strays in your system for 30 days so there can’t give you any test. Maybe they would treat this like driving with an open bottle of liquor whether you are drinking it or not.

Old 12-21-2022, 07:46 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,772,847 times
Quote:
I thought it was just me. I guess most people are DUI’ing these days. How would the cops prove anything other than the smell? So, if there are two people in the car, the driver will say the passenger is smoking. Pot strays in your system for 30 days so there can’t give you any test. Maybe they would treat this like driving with an open bottle of liquor whether you are drinking it or not.
Nope. I’ve heard a ton of other people mention it too. It’s out of hand. According to NYS it’s the same as driving drunk. It’s also illegal for anyone else to smoke in a motor vehicle under the open container law. But like you said an enforcement mechanism needs to be developed.

https://trafficsafety.ny.gov/system/...3212022jm.pptx

Old 12-21-2022, 07:51 PM

708 posts, read 578,148 times
It is everywhere! It wafts in my car driving down the interstate. Just this week, I drove through 4 states and it is commonplace. I have noticed how many people reek of it as I walk by them in a store. The cashier at the grocer had the smell permeating off her. WTH!

Old 12-22-2022, 01:51 AM

789 posts, read 487,339 times
Quote:
Yep. It's not so much that weed is now legal, it's that the cops (Nassau/Suffolk/NYPD) refuse to pull people over anymore for traffic violations, thus potheads are waking and baking and smoking all day and night while driving. Think about it, in the past if you had tinted windows or if you ran a stop sign or whatever, you likely didn't smoke weed in the car freely because you knew it was illegal plus the cops could search for additional drugs/weapons.

After the BLM riots of 2020, the weed and driving phenomenon took off. I saw it first had. As a doordash/uber driver, I'm on the road all day/night in Nassau/Queens. I couldn't believe the number of accidents I was seeing and why. Then it clicked. You started to smell the weed or even see people lighting up at red lights or coming out of a store/deli and lighting up. The accidents are out of control. There was just a study released that showed in 2021 that half the accidents in the country were are result of drug use.

It's going to get worse now that weed is actually legal. Until the cops start policing it, drive very carefully. Especially around young men, mostly hispanic and black males. Like it or not, weed is a big part of hip hop culture. There's no rockers left. lol.

Old 12-22-2022, 04:54 AM

1,184 posts, read 720,671 times
Ya I was at the drive thru at Wendy's the other day man smelled like weed lol...

Old 12-22-2022, 04:56 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,532,295 times
I was in NYC last week, you get high just walking around!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island