Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2023, 03:05 PM

93,587 posts, read 124,293,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tj2013 View Post
Many are saying insurance cost plus any HOA fees are more money then the crazy long island taxes.

Florida homes are grossly overpriced right now, you may be buying at the top of the bubble
I think what is being said is that it adds up in regards to costs, not that they are more than Long Island taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2023, 08:24 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,035,973 times
Quote:
Many are saying insurance cost plus any HOA fees are more money then the crazy long island taxes.

Florida homes are grossly overpriced right now, you may be buying at the top of the bubble
Just plain false... anything that starts with "many are saying" or "people are saying" is going to be always untrue.

It's not just FL, homes are "overpriced" everywhere... still... good luck calling the top of bubble, like trying to catch a falling knife.

Old 04-04-2023, 08:57 AM

5,296 posts, read 4,780,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Just plain false... anything that starts with "many are saying" or "people are saying" is going to be always untrue.

It's not just FL, homes are "overpriced" everywhere... still... good luck calling the top of bubble, like trying to catch a falling knife.
Yeah agree, although some HOA fees are ridiculous and more expensive than many think that's not common and certainly not the equivalent of paying 12-15k in property taxes in most instances.

Old 04-10-2023, 08:33 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,152,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

Correct, I've heard many people say that.

Old 04-10-2023, 09:59 PM

20,097 posts, read 20,903,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Correct, I've heard many people say that.
Yes me too. I have heard many are saying that people are saying that.

Old 04-11-2023, 01:44 PM

22,202 posts, read 19,490,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peconic117 View Post
Yeah agree, although some HOA fees are ridiculous and more expensive than many think that's not common and certainly not the equivalent of paying 12-15k in property taxes in most instances.
This is somewhat true, but keep in mind while not nearly as expensive as Long Island, Florida property taxes aren't exactly that cheap either. If you add in the HOA costs, and the more expensive HOI, it really starts to eat into the tax savings. Now is it still cheaper than LI? Yes, but the savings are often less overall than what is initially thought when looking strictly at the tax savings.

With that said, just like anywhere else, how expensive those things are in comparison to vary by location, some areas will be less expensive than others. Not to mention if someone is retired or not, what field someone is in, differing compensation within one location to the next (if any) are all things to consider when trying to decide if one area is cheaper in comparison or not.

Old 04-12-2023, 06:43 AM

121 posts, read 121,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
This is somewhat true, but keep in mind while not nearly as expensive as Long Island, Florida property taxes aren't exactly that cheap either. If you add in the HOA costs, and the more expensive HOI, it really starts to eat into the tax savings. Now is it still cheaper than LI? Yes, but the savings are often less overall than what is initially thought when looking strictly at the tax savings.

With that said, just like anywhere else, how expensive those things are in comparison to vary by location, some areas will be less expensive than others. Not to mention if someone is retired or not, what field someone is in, differing compensation within one location to the next (if any) are all things to consider when trying to decide if one area is cheaper in comparison or not.
Honestly you get beaten somewhere. My parents sold their home on LI and moved to Ft Lauderdale. They live in a condo, not a house, and they pay $6k in taxes, $550 in HOA, but their homeowners insurance is $3600 for a tiny little apartment. Their car insurance also doubled. All in, they’re not too far off from their 3200 sq ft house in Merrick. My mom said everyone thinks it’s so cheap when you come to Florida but that has not been her experience.

Old 04-12-2023, 07:48 AM

1,970 posts, read 2,714,222 times
Quote:

Florida housing prices right now are crazy. My son is looking for a home and the prices are at least 50-75% higher than about ten years ago.

Old 04-12-2023, 08:57 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,170,205 times
^ Well Florida is a peninsula and does not have infinite land to keep building on. It’s due to max out at some point just like LI.

Old 04-12-2023, 11:41 AM

22,681 posts, read 36,841,007 times
i posted earlier in the thread the costs here as opposed to LI taxes. I can't imagine how high an HOA fee would have to be to exceed LI taxes unless you live in a luxury building in a nice area (my sister does, and her HOA fees are probably around $12K a year, but her old house is over $30K in taxes, so).

If you don't buy into the FL lifestyle, there's no point in living there. My sister loves the beach, plays golf every day etc etc. Not having to shovel snow is nice too probably, but hurricanes are the tradeoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island