Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 10:46 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times

Advertisements

The renting vs buying debate is one that will go on and on for years. There are many reasons that people choose to rent over buying and after owning every home I ever lived in I understand why renters might feel they are better off. I personally still prefer to own, but homeownership does not mean that you will come out ahead of the game. We lost money on the sale of DH co-op. Sold in 1997 and you could not give it away. Stunning prewar building in RVC. Still stunning today but he could not give it away back then and he had lived there for many, many, years. Sometimes renting is the better option depending upon circumstances and timing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2023, 02:27 PM

249 posts, read 124,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Commenter View Post
I’ve known folks who think they’ve made a huge profit after selling a home after 15 years and they look a little sad when I quiz them on the costs of ‘owning’ the home (purchase price, mortgage interest paid, taxes, repairs, maintenance, insurance, inflation adjustment…
Purchase Price: As an owner, you can recoup that when/if you sell. (If you rent, you never recoup those monies.)

Mortgage Interest/Taxes: You get to deduct these on your tax returns. (If you rent, you are paying the landlord's mortgage interest and taxes, with no tax benefit to you.)

Repairs/Maintenance: In condos, the HOA takes care of any repairs/maintenance of common elements, which includes big ticket items like roofs, roads, facades, landscaping, water, heat, etc.

Insurance: Condo HOAs take care of insurance on the structure. As an owner, you'd only be responsible for insuring your personal contents. (If you rent, the equivalent would be renter's insurance.)

Inflation Adjustment: Inflation affects everyone, homeowners and renters alike.

As a homeowner, you are funding your investment. As a renter, you'd be funding someone else's investment. At the end of your mortgage term, you have hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity available to you. As a renter, you have squat.

I've rented, I've owned a home, and I'm now in a townhouse style condo and I love it.

Old 03-29-2023, 02:34 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As always, Elke is a wealth of knowledge. Back in 2012, I had conversations with her regarding my own situation. I had a trusted broker but I wanted to get a so called second opinion and she supported what I had been told. Thanks for being a wonderful resource for all on CD for so many years.
Thank you! Your comment is much appreciated

Old 03-29-2023, 08:14 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VivienL View Post
Purchase Price: As an owner, you can recoup that when/if you sell. (If you rent, you never recoup those monies.)

Mortgage Interest/Taxes: You get to deduct these on your tax returns. (If you rent, you are paying the landlord's mortgage interest and taxes, with no tax benefit to you.)

Repairs/Maintenance: In condos, the HOA takes care of any repairs/maintenance of common elements, which includes big ticket items like roofs, roads, facades, landscaping, water, heat, etc.

Insurance: Condo HOAs take care of insurance on the structure. As an owner, you'd only be responsible for insuring your personal contents. (If you rent, the equivalent would be renter's insurance.)

Inflation Adjustment: Inflation affects everyone, homeowners and renters alike.

As a homeowner, you are funding your investment. As a renter, you'd be funding someone else's investment. At the end of your mortgage term, you have hundreds of thousands of dollars in equity available to you. As a renter, you have squat.

I've rented, I've owned a home, and I'm now in a townhouse style condo and I love it.
Every situation is unique. I will say that very few lose money if they choose to own (especially in the NYC metro area) but not everyone is up big at the end of the day.

The key factor is rental cost and how much money the owners dumped into "renovations". Some dump hundreds of thousands into their homes over the years and others only on necessities. Some individuals find/maintain very favorable rental rates and if they're disciplined with saving and investing, they come out ahead.

The problem is that most people aren't disciplined with saving and aren't savvy investors so home ownership is a means of forced savings for this cohort.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:31 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,262,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattyneighbor View Post
It IS sound advice. Renters lose 100% of their rent payments. Owners might not recoup 100% of their purchase price - but they haven't LOST anything since they've been getting tax credits and still had equity to lean on. Loss of home value over 100% rental loss? I'm in for the purchase any day.
You have to take into account rental v ownership difference and the investable return on that difference. The problem is that most people who rent aren't disciplined enough to save/invest that premium. In turn, homeownership becomes a forced savings vehicle which is a benefit unto itself.

Old 03-29-2023, 08:32 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Thank you! Your comment is much appreciated
You are so very welcome and deserving.

Old 03-30-2023, 06:44 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
It IS sound advice. Renters lose 100% of their rent payments. Owners might not recoup 100% of their purchase price - but they haven't LOST anything since they've been getting tax credits and still had equity to lean on. Loss of home value over 100% rental loss? I'm in for the purchase any day.
Yup. Some others just arent that smart

Old 03-30-2023, 06:45 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:

Buying is a bit of a gamble but most of the time you come out ahead.

You will lose money 100% of the time when you rent

Old 03-30-2023, 07:17 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,763,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post

Buying is a bit of a gamble but most of the time you come out ahead.

You will lose money 100% of the time when you rent
of course some people are "smart" enough to know when it's good idea to buy and when it's not a good idea.
Others, not so much.

Old 03-30-2023, 10:59 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,161,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
You have to take into account rental v ownership difference and the investable return on that difference. The problem is that most people who rent aren't disciplined enough to save/invest that premium. In turn, homeownership becomes a forced savings vehicle which is a benefit unto itself.
Your assumption is based on the rent being less than the mortgage payment.
On Long Island, that often isn't so - at least at this time. I've had a few clients who decided to buy instead of rent, because it was less costly. Plus they didn't have to worry about the landlord maybe selling, etc.

Of course individual circumstances can make a difference. If a possible move looms in the near future (less than five years), buying is probably not a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island