Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2023, 04:49 PM

9 posts, read 5,488 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am a single 32-year-old female looking to buy a condo in Suffolk. I wouldn't want to move east of Nicoll's road. Ideally, I would like to be in a complex close to the LIE or northern state parkway.

I have about $110k saved up. I originally planned on buying a home, but my pre-approval returned for only $350k. I have been having difficulty finding a home at this price, so I am turning to condos now.

Does anyone have recommendations for condos? I want to be in a safe area.

The condo should have at least two bedrooms. I would love for it to have a designated parking spot and pool.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2023, 05:16 PM

7,922 posts, read 9,147,374 times
After taxes and condo association fees you will probably find out you will be better off renting while you save more money and wait for the real estate market to correct more.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:25 PM

Renting isn't that much cheaper, to be honest.

Old 03-26-2023, 06:33 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suffolk1204 View Post
Hello,

I am a single 32-year-old female looking to buy a condo in Suffolk. I wouldn't want to move east of Nicoll's road. Ideally, I would like to be in a complex close to the LIE or northern state parkway.

I have about $110k saved up. I originally planned on buying a home, but my pre-approval returned for only $350k. I have been having difficulty finding a home at this price, so I am turning to condos now.

Does anyone have recommendations for condos? I want to be in a safe area.

The condo should have at least two bedrooms. I would love for it to have a designated parking spot and pool.

Thanks in advance for your insight!
There are a couple out there in your price range. What was the amount the lender used for RE taxes and HOA fees? If that amount is too high, you should be able to qualify for more, or vice versa

Buyers often forget the impact taxes (and where applicable HOA/maintenance charges) have on affordability/pre-approval.

Also, if you're a first time homebuyer (haven't owned in the last three years), you might qualify for a first time homebuyer grant...

Old 03-26-2023, 07:13 PM

2,948 posts, read 1,257,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
There are a couple out there in your price range. What was the amount the lender used for RE taxes and HOA fees? If that amount is too high, you should be able to qualify for more, or vice versa

Buyers often forget the impact taxes (and where applicable HOA/maintenance charges) have on affordability/pre-approval.

Also, if you're a first time homebuyer (haven't owned in the last three years), you might qualify for a first time homebuyer grant...
Banks won't lend much against a single income due to increased risk. Banks rather lend $1MM to a dual income household making $150K than a single income household making $200K.

Old 03-26-2023, 09:20 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,144,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esacni View Post
Banks won't lend much against a single income due to increased risk. Banks rather lend $1MM to a dual income household making $150K than a single income household making $200K.
It helps if you know lenders. Besides, OP has a substantial downpayment, which limits the lender's exposure.

Also, we're not taking about a million dollar property here.

Old 03-26-2023, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post

Yes, I am a first-time home buyer. What grant would that be?

Old 03-26-2023, 11:30 PM

Yes, I know lenders. I may reach out to Meadowbrook Financial. My extended family has worked with them. I might be able to get a higher pre-approval. If you know of any, I am all ears.

FYI - I am part of the NYS teachers union and faculty at a state college. I wonder if there are any grants through them?

Would you happen to know which complexes are better? I've been reading about a few and it seems some are worse than others.

Old 03-27-2023, 01:18 AM

785 posts, read 483,610 times
I just got back from Boca Raton looking at condos. My advice is move down there instead. There will be zero safe spots on Long Island within 5 years. I mean zero. And make that 2 years if Hochul gets her way and hoodifies every town on LI within a few miles of the LIRR. That's her plan.

Thugs are following women from supermarket shopping and then car jacking them at gas stations, car washes, driveways. You name it. Just do a google search on "Long Island car jackings."

Is this really a place where you want to lay down long term roots by buying into a condo/coop?

https://www.cbsnews.com/newyork/news...-own-driveway/

Old 03-27-2023, 06:35 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
I have a two friends that live in the Anchorage in Copiague and love it. I have no idea re:availability or pricing now but I know it has a pool and dedicated parking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island