Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2023, 07:15 AM

187 posts, read 450,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
OP you should pay heed to the environment you will be throwing your daughter into with Great Neck. People here are not trying to steer you wrong. Most likely she will just fall between the cracks since that's what happens with academically average kids in schools like that. Combine this with the fact that your daughter won't have a friend group when she arrives you could be creating a difficult situation for her. Is she involved in any sports, clubs or other ECs that can give her a way to make friends and feel good about herself in that enviroment? We have a similar situation here with our HS, and sent one kid to Catholic school to get away from it, DD did go there but she can excel in different ways.
thank you for this information

What town in LI or Westchester would you recommend for a good high school that would less likely to have this problem, provided a convenient commute into Grand Central and the ability to live in an apartment within walking distance from the train station?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2023, 07:26 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeoNYC View Post
Yes, we don't want to live in a SFH, even if we could afford it in such an affluent place. We are just not used to that, and I think in Westchester it is probably the same where most families prefer SFH. So anywhere we go in the suburbs we will probably have this issue. We are looking to move in 1 year, so I hope LIRR will work out all the Grand Central scheduler by then.
According to all the statistics I see, and I checked several sites (I don't question your analysis, just trying to figure things out), the North high school is only 19% Asian and 70% white:
https://www.greatschools.org/new-yor...h-High-School/

My daughter is good, just not amazingly excellent. 95-97% in all the subjects, aside from math where she is around 90%. Yes, this type of hyper competitiveness is a concern.

Great Neck is very competitive, with that said, from the sounds of it your daughter is an great student as it is. Would there be additional pressure in Great Neck? Likely, yes, although I think some of assumptions may have been based on the thought she was an average student.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:32 AM

915 posts, read 562,491 times
If you have a reasonable choice between mainland vs LI, choose mainland. You then don't have the city as an obstacle in your way.

Old 04-24-2023, 07:59 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
thank you for this information

What town in LI or Westchester would you recommend for a good high school that would less likely to have this problem, provided a convenient commute into Grand Central and the ability to live in an apartment within walking distance from the train station?
Tuckahoe and Eastchester. Both are good, small school districts with good train access. https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000035654

https://data.nysed.gov/profile.php?instid=800000035649

If you are looking to go private, the Fleetwood area of northern Mount Vernon would be a good choice due to being a very walkable area, with good train access and a short commute to GCS. https://www.fleetwoodsquare.com/news...d-neighborhood

https://www.fleetwoodneighbors.org/index.html

Also, given your other thread, private schools in the Bronx such as Fieldston, Riverdale, Horace Mann, etc. or those in Westchester such as The Hackley School in Tarrytown, The Masters School in Dobbs Ferry, etc. are some worth looking into, if you go with Westchester.

In terms of Long Island, I'm wondering if new Hyde Park would be a happy medium for the OP...

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-24-2023 at 08:11 AM..

Old 04-25-2023, 02:43 AM

788 posts, read 486,798 times
Quote:
we are secular Jews, but honestly here in Manhattan we have something similar. So many different groups of people, not all of them mix well. But where in LI do you think the community feel is much better than GN where the commute to Manhattan is still pretty good?
I only drive on weekends, have driven to Westchester from Manhattan thousands of times. But I get your point. However, objectively, the crime statistics in GN and Pelham are very similar, just checked.
The town over is called Manhasset. However mostly expensive single family homes. I'd also consider Roslyn. which is a bit past Manhasset. Great schools.

I'm sure the statistics WITHIN the towns are similar. It's the surrounding areas that should always concern you. And with the Bronx on my doorstep, I'd never feel safe.

Old 04-25-2023, 06:36 AM

93,342 posts, read 123,972,828 times
^Isn’t the NE Bronx more of a generally middle class area?

Old 04-25-2023, 10:19 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
Your daughter is academically strong, just sounds like you are trying to avoid the uber-competitve kids and their parents.

What about Mineola? Your daughter would probably have the opportunity to be a top performer in her class and there's plenty close to the train station.

Old 04-26-2023, 09:04 AM

973 posts, read 1,411,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
The town over is called Manhasset. However mostly expensive single family homes. I'd also consider Roslyn. which is a bit past Manhasset. Great schools.

I'm sure the statistics WITHIN the towns are similar. It's the surrounding areas that should always concern you. And with the Bronx on my doorstep, I'd never feel safe.
This last comment is simply crazy, and comes from someone who is uninformed. Pelham is a top notch, and safe, suburban town. Unsafe areas of the Bronx do not border, nor are they close to, Pelham. Absolutely no one in Pelham perceives a problem from the Bronx.

Old 04-28-2023, 12:48 AM

788 posts, read 486,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 987ABC View Post
This last comment is simply crazy, and comes from someone who is uninformed. Pelham is a top notch, and safe, suburban town. Unsafe areas of the Bronx do not border, nor are they close to, Pelham. Absolutely no one in Pelham perceives a problem from the Bronx.
It's passing thru the Bx that is the problem. And try telling all the people in Westchester being carjacked by hood rats from the Bronx that the Bronx isn't a problem. Same problems here in Queens/LI. They are coming down from the Bronx to certain areas and heading back to the Bronx after their "handywork" is completed.

You need to wake up and start telling people the truth.

Old 04-28-2023, 08:31 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanders2021 View Post
It's passing thru the Bx that is the problem. And try telling all the people in Westchester being carjacked by hood rats from the Bronx that the Bronx isn't a problem. Same problems here in Queens/LI. They are coming down from the Bronx to certain areas and heading back to the Bronx after their "handywork" is completed.

You need to wake up and start telling people the truth.
I didn't realize we were in the middle of a carjacking epidemic. Oh wait, we're not.

There's the truth and then the paranoid ramblings of the unhinged. Hopefully the OP can sift out the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island