Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:37 AM

208 posts, read 914,781 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
You are saving money for sure........you have great settings. Keep it up!
do you mean you save money by going from 60 to 68 or by keeping the temps close together throughout the entire day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2008, 07:00 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,608,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
now here is a question. you set your temp to 60 at night and when you're away so you don't heat an empty house, now you come home and turn it up to 68, do you think you are saving energy by doing this, or is the energy required to heat the house from 60 (in the dead of winter I assume you could get an actual 60 degree or less house) back to 68 negate the savings or even cause you to use more energy??
Actually, two different plumbing/heating guys told us exactly the same thing: That you actually use less oil if your thermostat is set at a single reasonable temperature and kept there, rather than ping-ponging up and down. Especially if your house is not optimally insulated in every respect. We keep the house at 68 pretty much all winter, day and night.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:06 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,407,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Wow, electic heat ughhhhh! I'm sorry....bet the pellet stove helps
The pellet stove is one of the best things I ever did for that house. More cost effective than switching to gas or oil too. Cost me $700 for the stove, pipe kit and mat (all on clearance from Lowes), I put it in myself (no cost) and though pellets have skyrocketed in price, it's still less than I would have paid to convert and to heat with oil or gas. Now my only problem is that it gets too warm sometimes and I have to open a window! So much better than shivering all night because I couldn't afford to heat the house.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:46 AM

23 posts, read 61,275 times
I keep our programmable thermostat at 68 at all times. I don't see the point of lowering it at night, because that is when you want to be warmest! So 68 at all times. And keep our central air at 74 at all times in the summer.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:51 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,561,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xbure9x View Post
do you mean you save money by going from 60 to 68 or by keeping the temps close together throughout the entire day?
60 to 68 is the way to go.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:52 AM

103 posts, read 378,192 times
60 at night and 62-64 during the day. I'm installing a programmable stat soon.

As you increase the differential between the inside and outside air temps, the RATE of heat loss increases. So keeping the temp down whenever possible will be more efficient. The fact that the burner needs to run for a while to raise the temp when the thermostat goes from a lower setting to a higher setting is offset by the fact that the burner can go for a long time without running at all when the temp goes from a high setting to low setting.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:54 AM

103 posts, read 378,192 times
I think I sleep better when the house is chilly and I'm under a nice warm blanket.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:55 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,561,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
Actually, two different plumbing/heating guys told us exactly the same thing: That you actually use less oil if your thermostat is set at a single reasonable temperature and kept there, rather than ping-ponging up and down. Especially if your house is not optimally insulated in every respect. We keep the house at 68 pretty much all winter, day and night.
sorry they are wrong.....the water of your boiler is set to 185 degrees so getting your house back to tempature is a small factor of time extended during the time to get your home to the day time temp. Setting the temp
back at night prevents and delays how many times the boiler fires, saming you money.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:01 PM

496 posts, read 1,252,864 times
we're waiting on a guy to put in our pellet stove, which we brought with us when we bought this house. in meantime during the day we put the thermostat at 71 (i am home with two kids), and at night 73. i know for a fact my kids get uncovered at night and end up sick the next day if too cold.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:11 PM

208 posts, read 914,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlorak View Post
we're waiting on a guy to put in our pellet stove, which we brought with us when we bought this house. in meantime during the day we put the thermostat at 71 (i am home with two kids), and at night 73. i know for a fact my kids get uncovered at night and end up sick the next day if too cold.
did you ever consider a portable space heater for the kids' rooms? I have one set up in my son's room, it has a timer on it, so I set it to go off at midnight, and shut off again at 5:00. Definitely keeps the room warm enough for him, as he like your kids doesn't sleep with a blanket yet, well with a blanket on him let's just say, hehe.

It is the type that looks like a radiator, it's not one of those little fan propelled ones, if you are concerned with safety. It just gets hot like a regular radiator, I place it in the middle of the room and all's well, and I can set my thermostat to 64 or so to save oil.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island