Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2016, 01:53 PM

55 posts, read 78,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MobileVisitor09 View Post
The Legend provides the following information:

1) Airport Boundary of JFK
2) County Boundary between Queens and Nassau (you can discern the N/S boundary line on the map)
3) "Backbone" Arrival Flight Tracks for JFK (the solid red tracks), 33 in total
4) Arrival Subtracks for JFK

The solid red tracks in the image, are the most frequently used "superhighways" in the sky, for 22L Arrivals.

The solid red lines, especially in this map, concentrate heavily within particular regions of Nassau and Queens (part of BK as well but to a lesser degree). As I've indicated in the past in my posts throughout the months here, which CRV helped illustrate with critical data, you'll note that this runway, which sees 28% of all of JFK's arrivals, is targeting SE Nassau, Eastern Nassau, NE Nassau, and then funnels into the Floral Park JFK descent corridor. Further, this is only one runway, and, only arrivals for said runway. You tack on arrivals and departures for other runways, and, this statistic becomes even more troublesome. It helps explain and validate items residents have been reporting.

The subtracks, from what I understand, are supplemental flight tracks that can be used in the event of weather, congestion, etc., but, are used less frequently. However, you'll also note the subtracks are very close to the main backbone tracks. In essence, concentrating these super highways into legitimate noise ghettos, ghettos that undeniably are creating public health issues that warrant further review.
Thank you for clarifying. Parts of Bklyn yes, fortunately for them, the airplanes are much higher while they cut across (still sucks). By the time the arrivals reach Massapequa, they are below 4000 feet. By the time the airplanes reach 'The Arc', and start to make their turn southwards, they are 2000 feet and below.

ILS 22L is the worst thing ever. These RNAVs need to go!

Here's a newsletter from the JFK Part 150 Study mailing list:

http://panynjpart150.com/AdminPages/...ter%202016.pdf

This is the second in a series that the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is distributing to those interested in learning more about the JFK’s Part 150 Study process
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 02:09 PM

FYI, my understanding of the Part 150, they are only collecting data to better manage the NEM (noise exposure map) and noise contours around the airport (within 2 miles of the runway). So for those of us who live 'far' from the airport, we're SOL.

Which really reaffirms our positioning on the matter. We're angry because we're no where 'close' to JFK yet, exposed to a very high frequency of noise, yet, we aren't taken into account to their study.

Old 03-11-2016, 04:08 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domodude View Post
FYI, my understanding of the Part 150, they are only collecting data to better manage the NEM (noise exposure map) and noise contours around the airport (within 2 miles of the runway). So for those of us who live 'far' from the airport, we're SOL.

Which really reaffirms our positioning on the matter. We're angry because we're no where 'close' to JFK yet, exposed to a very high frequency of noise, yet, we aren't taken into account to their study.
Yes, funny how that was engineered. The data demonstrates back from ~2005 that particular regions were being hit more extensively, and farther out of the JFK airport vicinity. This is the same kind of pattern you are seeing across the Country, including San Francisco and Phoenix (presently involved in litigation with the FAA).

The present Port Authority study should be based upon the concentration of flights, flight paths, and applicable data, including frequency, altitude, decibel readings, vibration, (and components beyond noise, including particulate exposure and air quality), rather than proximity to the airport. Proximity to airport no longer serves as the qualifying (once logical) factor underlying noise exposure.

You can reside in parts of Woodmere, and experience little to no noise now via NextGen, whereas you will be bombarded with a 2,000 foot flying plane every 1-3 minutes in Syosset.

Something is quite wrong with this picture.

Old 03-11-2016, 06:46 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
Quote:
Thank you for clarifying. Parts of Bklyn yes, fortunately for them, the airplanes are much higher while they cut across (still sucks). By the time the arrivals reach Massapequa, they are below 4000 feet. By the time the airplanes reach 'The Arc', and start to make their turn southwards, they are 2000 feet and below.

ILS 22L is the worst thing ever. These RNAVs need to go!

Here's a newsletter from the JFK Part 150 Study mailing list:

http://panynjpart150.com/AdminPages/...ter%202016.pdf

This is the second in a series that the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is distributing to those interested in learning more about the JFK’s Part 150 Study process

ugh, if this is any consulation, (and I know it isnt)
here in brooklyn, we have the planes landing at LGA every 30 seconds for 20 hours a day, like clockwork.

I too am miles away from an airport, Im 3 blocks from gravesend bay, yet I have them too?????

shouldnt this part 150 or noise study have started the day the new flight paths were implemented?
I would think so.

I am hearing them as I type this right now, there goes another one......................

Old 03-11-2016, 10:10 PM

We need Chucky Schumer to speak up. He only cares about making more legroom on airplanes. We won't get anywhere without our Senators. Gillibrand is even worse, not a single mention regarding this issue. At least Schumer has a canned email saying that they're looking into it... LOL

Old 03-12-2016, 08:44 PM

Quote:
We need Chucky Schumer to speak up. He only cares about making more legroom on airplanes. We won't get anywhere without our Senators. Gillibrand is even worse, not a single mention regarding this issue. At least Schumer has a canned email saying that they're looking into it... LOL

neither one of these 2 clowns have ever done anything regarding this issue. it has been going on since june 2012, and they have done zip, zilch, nada, nothing, zero............

schummer and gillibrand need to be voted out of office once and for all!!!!!

Old 03-12-2016, 09:19 PM

781 posts, read 1,196,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
ugh, if this is any consulation, (and I know it isnt)
here in brooklyn, we have the planes landing at LGA every 30 seconds for 20 hours a day, like clockwork.

I too am miles away from an airport, Im 3 blocks from gravesend bay, yet I have them too?????

shouldnt this part 150 or noise study have started the day the new flight paths were implemented?
I would think so.

I am hearing them as I type this right now, there goes another one......................
Yes, the Port Authority is responsible for both airports, and, I find air traffic for both airports weaves throughout different regions quite a distance from the main data collection zone. In addition, these patterns have been occurring for quite some time, the data, the maps demonstrates this.

So, yes, Part 150 should focus on all areas impacted. Especially if the objective is to design new flight patterns and paths, mediate issues, handle noise effectively. If it hones in on a specific zone where air traffic is not at its maximum, well, how effective with this entire effort be?

Keep reporting via WebTrak, and, start keeping a log of times in a notebook, which is what I've been doing, of days and times the noise is unbearable, consistent, and a description of the noise (rumble, the Airbus whine, etc.).

I also downloaded a neat decibel app on my phone, have a friend with a legitimate decibel reader who is going to start measuring. I'm going to notate this data also in my notebook, for reference sake. This way, more information from areas quite impacted can be sent and shared with the Port Authority and our representatives who clearly need to take this issue seriously as it's progressively becoming worse.

Scary part is, NextGen has not been fully rolled out--there will be more waves, more planes, we have not yet reached airport saturation. I can't imagine it getting worse, but, if so, we need to all come together and start addressing this collectively. I can appreciate the need for flight efficiency, reducing delays, however, not at the cost of human health and safety. A balance, a reasonable balance, where profit and bottom line is not fully driving the decision making.

Old 03-14-2016, 01:26 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,996,805 times
Default The quiet era

Today's aircraft operations are really quiet. In fact the noise footprint of a modern 787 is 90% less than the aircraft flown in the classic jet era. Who can remember the graceful but extremely loud operation of the Concorde from JFK? This aircraft arrived daily- like clock work from London over my school at 09:15 daily. The sound was perhaps ten times louder than the aircraft operating now.

With such quiet aircraft, the once noisy flight paths (especially arrivals) over populated areas are now nearly whisper silent. With scientific information in-hand the politicians know that flights over Long island are not a problem and only a very special group of folks will complain. The following video will demonstrate just how quiet the modern aircraft operations are;

Old 03-14-2016, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samyn on the green View Post
Today's aircraft operations are really quiet. In fact the noise footprint of a modern 787 is 90% less than the aircraft flown in the classic jet era. Who can remember the graceful but extremely loud operation of the Concorde from JFK? This aircraft arrived daily- like clock work from London over my school at 09:15 daily. The sound was perhaps ten times louder than the aircraft operating now.

With such quiet aircraft, the once noisy flight paths (especially arrivals) over populated areas are now nearly whisper silent. With scientific information in-hand the politicians know that flights over Long island are not a problem and only a very special group of folks will complain. The following video will demonstrate just how quiet the modern aircraft operations are;

Wrong ! --- they are NOT really quiet !!!

Wrong !----they are no where near a whisper silent!!!

Only a handful of airplanes that pass over my neighborhood every 30 seconds, for 20 hours a day are a little quieter, yes, that I have noticed, just a handful......so what is that, 20 planes? Then I have the other 1,425 planes that are loud.......................................

Now, the 4 planes that just passed right outside my kitchen windows as I sat here reading and writing this were NOT one of those quiet planes.

and they shouldn't fly over our homes no matter how quiet they can be made, they still give off jet fuel, which BTW causes cancer.............................and this is the whole reason both of our airports are built on the water????????????????????????????????????????????? ????

so why they would re route the planes over our homes is insane.

there goes another one, and this one is faaaaaaaaaaar from quiet.........

Old 03-15-2016, 04:22 PM

577 posts, read 979,601 times
Meng Expresses Disappointment over Passage of Short-Term FAA Bill; Legislation Does Not Include Any Provisions to Combat Airplane Noise over Queens | Congresswoman Grace Meng
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island