Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2009, 03:47 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyc4582 View Post
Thank you for his e-mail address... I will certainly be one of the people forwarding this thread to Steve Levy and Tom Suozzi while we're at it.

Concerned C-D Taxpayers/Forward this thread to Steve Levy @ county.executive@suffolkcountyny.gov with your comments.

Old 01-03-2009, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dregg View Post
How do you know they're police officers? It was assumed in this very thread that i'm a police officer, yet i'm not. All based on my opinions. Oh, and don't forget, there's a lot of trolls that pose as others on public message boards.
....and you go to l.i. politics?....lol, troll city.

Agreed

Ill start a Long Island Politics Thread

All in favor af making it sticky please say aye

Old 01-04-2009, 08:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Agreed

Ill start a Long Island Politics Thread

All in favor af making it sticky please say aye
Yes, that way we avoid thread after thread being put up on this subject and them getting shut down. The mods should delete posts with personal attacks, not lock the whole thread.

It's not the taxpayers responsibility to put guys with High School diplomas in Corvettes an Mercedes.

This topic should come up at every party,backyard barebecue, and social event. I've had to defend my wifes profession for years, now these arrogant SCPD cops should have to defend themselves.

Watch out, though, you say something to them and you might have somebody waiting to pull you over when you leave for work in the morning. You think they won't? Don't underestimate the arrogance and vindictiveness of some cops.

I'm thinking of filing an IA complaint against one cop...an ex of my wifes friend...who got an entire event catered for free because he patrols the area the catering hall was in...like they aren't making enough coin already, they need to save $1,000 on catering.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:38 AM

143 posts, read 299,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm thinking of filing an IA complaint against one cop...an ex of my wifes friend...who got an entire event catered for free because he patrols the area the catering hall was in...like they aren't making enough coin already, they need to save $1,000 on catering.
Please do it... you owe it to yourself and the rest of us taxpayers to report this dirtbag... stories like this drive me crazy.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 AM

64 posts, read 234,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Very good discussion in this thread, and cheers for Steve Levy!

I think anyone who isn't a police officer or relative of one can agree, something needs to be done about the extremely disproportionate compensation we taxpayers are funding for these two departments. For most people on LI, the Police portion of your property tax bill is going to be the single largest sum outside of school taxes. Likely more than double anything else....it's completely out of whack.

What would the result of the county execs just telling the unions to shove it, ending negotiations entirely and putting nothing but a "take it or leave it" offer on the table? Does anyone really think any SCPD/NCPD employee is going to quit with even half their salary and half their benefits still intact? Even if they do, there would still be tens of thousands of people willing to take those vacancies. Help Wanted section in Newsday is down to less than a full page, these are rough times. Try finding work with nothing but a high school diploma in the private sector.... you'd be lucky to pull fifteen bucks an hour and limited health coverage...and that's only if you have tons of experience and interview/bs really well.

Look at the world around us, a lot of families are really struggling. I think it's beyond disgraceful that we should be talking about putting more money into these departments while the people funding them are losing the shirts off their backs. I think it's a pretty good indication of how concerned these two police forces are with protecting and serving anything but their own self interests.
The police have binding arbitration. So if their negotiations between the union and the county are at an impasse, an arbitrator is called in to decide the contract. Whatever the arbitrator decides to award as a contract becomes the contract.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammieS View Post
The police have binding arbitration. So if their negotiations between the union and the county are at an impasse, an arbitrator is called in to decide the contract. Whatever the arbitrator decides to award as a contract becomes the contract.
The Taylor law is ridiculous and must be abolished... the combination of the taylor law and a corrupt county executive looking for votes (gulotta) lead to this problem. The county executive is gone but the taylor law is still there

Old 01-05-2009, 07:27 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
The Taylor law is ridiculous and must be abolished... the combination of the taylor law and a corrupt county executive looking for votes (gulotta) lead to this problem. The county executive is gone but the taylor law is still there

I can't see how any arbitrator can continue to justify paying MBA level salaries with even better benefits,for a position that has tens of thousands of applicants with no higher education. It just doesn't make sense anymore..it never did, but in this economy, it would be a crime to allow this to go on.

What gets me even more is that some of these guys..mostly very working class in disposition..take on the mentality of Republican corporate types..one guy on LI politics was bragging about how he's traveled all over the world, stayed in the most expensive hotels, and how he thinks that he pays too much in taxes to support teachers salaries. The hubris ..and irony..is unmatched.

Old 01-05-2009, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I can't see how any arbitrator can continue to justify paying MBA level salaries with even better benefits,for a position that has tens of thousands of applicants with no higher education. It just doesn't make sense anymore..it never did, but in this economy, it would be a crime to allow this to go on.

What gets me even more is that some of these guys..mostly very working class in disposition..take on the mentality of Republican corporate types..one guy on LI politics was bragging about how he's traveled all over the world, stayed in the most expensive hotels, and how he thinks that he pays too much in taxes to support teachers salaries. The hubris ..and irony..is unmatched.
There's a paragraph in the Taylor Law that states that the arbitrator must look to neighboring counties to determine appropriate compensation. When Gulotta started giving the Nassau PBA the giant raises... the Suffolk PBA was able to win the large awards in arbritration. When Suffolk won a large award, Nassau would go to arbritration and win a larger award.

The cycle continued because Nassau and Suffolk competed with eachother and it spiralled into the current mess of the 150k a year cop with an uber amount of time off and a free pension and medical insurance.

Old 01-05-2009, 11:09 AM

Quote:
There's a paragraph in the Taylor Law that states that the arbitrator must look to neighboring counties to determine appropriate compensation. When Gulotta started giving the Nassau PBA the giant raises... the Suffolk PBA was able to win the large awards in arbritration. When Suffolk won a large award, Nassau would go to arbritration and win a larger award.

The cycle continued because Nassau and Suffolk competed with eachother and it spiralled into the current mess of the 150k a year cop with an uber amount of time off and a free pension and medical insurance.
Moderator cut: language

Last edited by nancy thereader; 01-05-2009 at 11:44 AM..

Old 01-05-2009, 11:21 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:

Well then howcome the Nassau County Sheriff's Department has a much higher grossing pay scale then the Suffolk County Sheriff's Office?

Nassau County deputies make like $20,000 more then Suffolk County deputies. Of course there's only about 70 Nassau Sheriff's deputies as opposed to about 300 in Suffolk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island