Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:56 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,180 times

Advertisements

I believe that unless there is some major initiative that is approved by a majority of registered voters, that property taxes should not be allowed to go any higher than that year's increase in median incomes for that area.

I am a big believer in public schools. I'm not part of the GOP-Taliban movement that wants to dismantle them. But I think to operate under the assumption that the money is always there, you just have to tap it, if offensive and harmful. Taxes here are crushing my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 02:10 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,838 times
Blame it on the greedy teachers' union. There needs to be a reality check - they're really worth about half of what they currently make in salary.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:29 PM

5 posts, read 22,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I am a big believer in public schools. I'm not part of the GOP-Taliban movement that wants to dismantle them..

Getting in before the spiral downward. With a statement like the one above you are generalizing everyone who wants Education reform with the extreme. Most of the people who would like to see our education system reformed do not want to dismantle it just change it so there is no longer a monopoly over it by the government.

I do not understand all of the hostility, that I find more and more of, for Republicans/Conservatives. Seems as though the Media has accomplished it's goal of shaping the veiws of people instead of reporting the news. There are some people with a mind of their own out there but not too many of them.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:35 PM

20,026 posts, read 20,835,571 times
U.S. Citizens=Media Sheep

Old 01-30-2009, 02:48 PM

852 posts, read 2,017,180 times
Default Funny, so funny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacAFSSgt View Post
Getting in before the spiral downward. With a statement like the one above you are generalizing everyone who wants Education reform with the extreme. Most of the people who would like to see our education system reformed do not want to dismantle it just change it so there is no longer a monopoly over it by the government.

I do not understand all of the hostility, that I find more and more of, for Republicans/Conservatives. Seems as though the Media has accomplished it's goal of shaping the veiws of people instead of reporting the news. There are some people with a mind of their own out there but not too many of them.
I find it funny that you would express concern over generalizations, and then make some tin-foil-hat remark about the press telling me what to think. I used to be a Republican, and then I moved to Florida for 5 years. There, I saw what the GOP was really up to. They want to dismantle the schools. You need to know who you are aligned with. The south doesn't like public schools. These "citizens councils" that support the GOP all over the south, that feed its leadership, are former klan associations with new names. They have always been against public schools. The only southern state with a public schools system until 1871 was North Carolina. The rest fought it tooth and nail. Once they existed in any form, the effort to desegregate them brought the same folks out to dismantle schools.

I won't bite on the "vouchers" and "competition" lozenge. That's a pile to dookie. If the GOP had cared for years about the education system there, they wouldn't have put corporate hacks in charge of it. If there was an ounce of earnestness to this, we'd admit that the solution would put the private schools out of business, if they ultimately are intended to improve the public schools. By the way, why haven't the private schools worked already? Anyway

Don't ever believe that the GOP wants to improve anything government does. They want to undermine it. BAD schools accomplishes this, because it upsets confidence in the performance of public institutions. That's just what they want. The less you believe government works, the less you are willing to be taxed. They less you want to get taxed, they less they get taxed. You save $100. They save $1,000,000,000.

Last edited by DeadPool1998; 01-30-2009 at 03:01 PM.. Reason: change

Old 01-30-2009, 03:02 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Default I hate to bring this up, but ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
These "citizens councils" that support the GOP all over the south, that feed its leadership, are former klan associations with new names.
... this sounds kind of "tin-foil hattish" too. What's up with that?

Old 01-30-2009, 03:43 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
Blame it on the greedy teachers' union. There needs to be a reality check - they're really worth about half of what they currently make in salary.
reality check:

the MEDIAN salary is $75K, and 95% earn under $100K, in even well paying LI districts. Getting to $100K requires 20+ years experience. This is for a profession that requires a master's degree and is in a high cost area. Please tell me where you're going to find anyone halfway decent who will work for half that.

Now, tell me how you're going to stem the huge rise in unfunded mandates and special education, which is pushing up the cost of education everywhere.

Old 01-30-2009, 04:17 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,168,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post

Please put down the pipe.

What do you think teachers make?

My wifes ready to quit and be a cop.

crooks

Old 01-30-2009, 05:28 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
AndreaII has mentioned in much earlier posts that she is involved with one of the local school districts, and at some point in time, it was to a rather significant extent.

She hasn't been one to spout off in the past -- maybe she is aware of something in the district that she is involved in that the rest of us are not?

Old 01-30-2009, 05:48 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,155,036 times
Crooks tell her to forget the cop..learn a trade and join a building trades union. In 5 years they make around 90k not counting OT. And the benifits arent to shabby either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island