Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 12:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,257 times

Advertisements

Wow! That was my first reaction when my sister Leslie told me about this blog. Like so many others, I have been looking for any thread that would connect to the ASR. I actually want to become involved with the organization again.

I was in Battalion 9 out of P.S. 138 in Rosedale. I joined in 1963 when I was 8 years old and I stayed until I was 23 in 1978. My final rank was Lt. jg and I was the Executive Officer.

Too many great memories to list. The Camp, Valley Forge, Washington D.C., Canada, Kings Point, Rocking Hoarse Dude Ranch. They are all in my memory forever. The girls. Oh the girls. How great they were.

The Drill Team was what every Ranger aspired to. We all hated Battalion 5. With good reason. They were really good. I remember 1968 in particular
when Johnny Cippolina (A Ranger and fresh out of the Navy) Decided that it was time to beat Battalion 5. He unveiled his vision for the Trick Drill for that season. A tribute to the Flag raising at Iwo Jima.

It was the time of the Hippies and disrespect for the establishment. Many young boys were growing their hair long. I was one of them. We were teenagers that acted like teenagers. However, we all showed up every Friday Night. Our custodian opened up the Gym on Saturday mornings during the winter so we could practice. When it got warmer, we went to Brookville Park so we could practice on the grass. When that day in May finally arrived, two questions remained to be answered. Who would not show up because they were told to get a hair cut and didn't, and who would show up with long hair. The answers are; everyone showed and we all had military cuts.

When we finally got to Kings Point and marched up to give our 3 1/2 minute Trick Drill, all of the disipline and all of the guidence that was instilled in us by the Staff was in the front mind of every Ranger. At that time, we were not teenagers, we were men.

We went through our paces and created a circle symbolizing the island of Iwo Jima. Four Rangers plus the guide-on bearer (me) went to the center and took the pose of the five soldiers that raised the Flag. As our American Flag unfurled and began waving in the breeze, the Marines who were judging us snapped to attention and saluted.

We were awarded first place that year at the review. Later on however, we were told that the count was wrong and Battalion 5 actually won. Boy were we p.o.'d. In the end, it didn't matter. We knew Battalion 9 was good and we knew Battalion 5 was good. And we were all Sea Rangers.

The message that this story is about is a direct connection with the prime directive of The American Sea Rangers. "To combat juvenille delinquency" through disipline and the understanding of the values of what it is to be an American. I salute The American Sea Rangers.

By the way, if there is anyone from Battalion 9 out there, I'd really like to here from you.

Scott Webb
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:03 AM

18 posts, read 70,630 times
Default The good ol' days

Truckmen,

You were probably in when my brother Scott was in, he may remember where the camp was located. What battalion and location were you in? I was in Battalion 15 in Rosedale in the 50's and early 60's.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckmen View Post
Can anyone tell me where exactly is the camp upstate? Or at least the location of where it was? I would like to take a drive to there.
I remember going up there in the late 60s. we also visited Farmer brown who, I believe, had a small farm adjoining the camp. I also remember the pond. I remember there were bungalows and a canteen up the hill behind them. The officers (and my parents too, for that matter) slept in the house down the hill from the bungalows and near the pond. That's how I remember it.

A mention of Kings Point.
As young 11 year-olds, my twin brother and I were in the ASR for only a few years. I remember the first time we were at Kings point. We were amazed there were so many other Rangers. And that there were other battalions. during the review, it became very hot. We were all standing at attention and having recently seen the movie Zulu, thought it was kinda cool to see fellow kids dropping like flies for the heat. I remember thinking it was like in the movies where the ranks were getting thinned but the discipline was still there. Isn't that crazy?
Truckmen,

You were probably in when my brother Scott was in, he may remember where the camp was located. What battalion and location were you in? I was in Battalion 15 in Rosedale in the 50's and early 60's.

Old 10-08-2009, 04:57 PM

90 posts, read 302,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie W View Post
Truckmen,

I was in Jamaica in Battalion VI during 1967 and 1968.
LT. CMDR J. Mason was in charge

I am also searching for a friend, Kevin McDonough who was in this battalion with my brother, Claus Bohm and me.

Ralph

Old 10-09-2009, 08:19 AM
PBR

16 posts, read 32,528 times
I thought I was the only person who still remembered the Sea Rangers. Carle Place in the late 60's. Still have the shirt, can't believe how small it is.

Old 10-09-2009, 10:27 AM

It must have shrunk over the years! ;-)

Old 10-09-2009, 02:35 PM

Quote:
I was in Jamaica in Battalion VI during 1967 and 1968.
LT. CMDR J. Mason was in charge

I am also searching for a friend, Kevin McDonough who was in this battalion with my brother, Claus Bohm and me.

Ralph
I don't know who Kevin and Claus are. I was out by '67. Any suggestions for my brother, Scott, as to how to go about getting involved again?

Leslie

Old 10-09-2009, 03:19 PM

If he is in NY, he may attend one of the meetings on Friday evenings. I am in Maine and cannot participate or else, I would for sure if close enough to the city.

Old 10-15-2009, 08:53 AM

Quote:
If he is in NY, he may attend one of the meetings on Friday evenings. I am in Maine and cannot participate or else, I would for sure if close enough to the city.
Do you know exactly where on Long Island meetings are held, what locations?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:37 AM

20 posts, read 59,482 times
rmeag Hi Ralph. Long Time> I too have some great memorys of the ASR. Would Like to chat some time. I'm suprised that Tony P, John C, and so many others have not found this site yet. Gary Palmese
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island