Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 01:29 PM

8 posts, read 41,462 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend some school districts on Long Island that have great Special Education services for a child with ADD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 02:27 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,014 times
I have a special needs child, down syndrome to be exact my district is really great with her and she requires a lot of support services, it is Patchogue Medford, Sachem is also very good and I have heard that Lindenhurst is good also. I worked for Middle Country about 6 years ago and they were good too. I also know someone that has a child who is blind and a little slow, and is in East Islip. The other day I heard that while West Islip, Commack and Smithtown were all outstanding districts for regular education they were a little lesss like to provide for a child with special needs. I hope this helps.Good Luck recently there was an episode with a child with add/adhd it was really very good. Please let me know if this helps have a great day!

Old 03-16-2007, 07:19 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,033 times
My son is learning disabled & he attended Connetquot from 4th grade through graduation. I was especially pleased w/the district in the lower grades, but overall the services were great.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:14 PM

161 posts, read 1,049,354 times
Nassua or Suffolk?

Old 03-17-2007, 09:18 AM

Thanks to all. I actually am in the East Islip discrict. There are some parents here who are happy with Special Ed, but many horror stories. Ours is not a horror story, but bad enough to move. To my knowledge, Commack has a great rep for special ed where Smithtown and West Islip get mixed reviews.Thanks for the info.

I am interested to hear more about Connetquot if KellyFG has time. It is close and my son's issues are more like a learning disability even though he doesn't have that label.

Glen NY, I am willing to go just about anywhere where I can deal with caring people. Of course all the other factors of a move come into play, but getting my son what he needs is primary, so a district with good services is our starting point.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:32 AM

As far as Nassau districts, areas I've heard positive feedback on are N. Bellmore and RVC. From internet information, it looks like many of the North Shore towns are good for services, but so pricey for homes. The North Shore School district for example spends quite a bit on special ed and has a somewhat high IEP percentage. But I know full well that #s don't tell the whole story.

Old 03-17-2007, 12:18 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,070,116 times
I'm in the Islip district and I had to fight tooth and nail to get my son services. It's like a big game (let's all act clueless). Finally he gets OT, PT and Resource Room.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:59 PM

This is why I am trying to get as much personal experience information as I can. Islip was specifically recommended to me as a district that works well with children like my son by someone who polled several advocates. I have gone to an Islip SEPTA and met the former Spec Ed Director who recently was promoted to Asst. Supt. Do you still have to fight, or do you feel they are doing right by your son now?

Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 PM

7 posts, read 34,672 times
Levittown is one of the best on the island when it comes to special education. My son has been in the system for 7 years and they have always accomodated me. I have gotten everything I've asked for without any hassles. My son goes to a school in Glen Cove because thats what best for him , but I know Levittown has their own program here that kids come from other districts to attend. There are parts of Seaford and Wantagh that are in the Levittown school district. So you have different towns to choose to live. Levittown is District 5.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:21 AM

Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island