Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 01:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,872 times

Advertisements

Congrats on becoming a village. It will take you a lot of work to clean it up if that is even possible at this point but we all want to see a bad town do good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 02:04 PM

600 posts, read 2,092,253 times
I agree. Like the Bible and building nuclear power plants, I thought we were done! Good for them for pursuing a noble civic purpose: however expensive it may be.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:07 PM

600 posts, read 2,092,253 times
Here's a map of NYS's newest village.

Streets very difficult to see....

http://www.masticbeach.org/images/map_large.jpg

Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,702 times
Yes, congratulations to all the people who gave their time and brain power to for the betterment of their community and fellow citizens!!! God Bless

Old 09-01-2010, 02:56 PM

244 posts, read 540,509 times
Yes, let's hope that they become like Lindenhurst, where you can't even park your vehicle on the grass over the weekend while cleaning up the yard (my 2001 pickup truck) because some neighbor calls on you in mistaken retaliation for either 1) Code Enforcement picking on them about parking vehicles in the street for months on end without using them (1 week limit) or 2) just for the heck of it.

I loved what I heard when they were planning all this as a "zero cost to the tax payers".

Who's going to enforce the new village ordinances, Code Enforcement officers? Who's going to write it up, publish it, store it, house it, etc? Who's going to pay the Code Enforcement officers? Etc. etc.

I used to live in Mastic, and often visited Mastic Beach and while it wasn't paradise, I can easily see a whole slew of either lawsuits or non-compliance to the point where it's going to be useless without someone footing the bill for enforcement and court time.

In these times of rising taxes and sinking property values, this is the PERFECT time to do this - not.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:18 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Unless I'm mistaken, the vote to establish the Village of Mastic may have been invalid.

According to my understanding of New York State village law, the vote to establish a village, similar to a vote to establish any special independent taxing district, is supposed to be by property owners only and weighted by property value, and not, as occurred, a vote of all the residents of the area.

So, the story of the Village of Mastic may not yet be complete ...

Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,691,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
I loved what I heard when they were planning all this as a "zero cost to the tax payers".

Who's going to enforce the new village ordinances, Code Enforcement officers? Who's going to write it up, publish it, store it, house it, etc? Who's going to pay the Code Enforcement officers? Etc. etc.

It is not always true that property located in villages pay more property tax than would a similar property in an adjoining hamlet within the same town that the village is located. Many times, being in a village offers protection from certain town taxes that add up to more than the village taxes, meaning that a property in a village pays less property tax than does a similar property in a hamlet within the same town as the village is located.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:23 PM

20,050 posts, read 20,867,177 times
Oh boy...

Old 09-01-2010, 03:24 PM

74 posts, read 207,507 times
I hope that the vote goes through. I think that the area has way too many great people to be brought down by a small, but noticeable amount of "garbage.". Since I do live in the area, I hope taxes go up and protect those of us who are professionals who have nice families and houses.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:27 PM

244 posts, read 540,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
It is not always true that property located in villages pay more property tax than would a similar property in an adjoining hamlet within the same town that the village is located. Many times, being in a village offers protection from certain town taxes that add up to more than the village taxes, meaning that a property in a village pays less property tax than does a similar property in a hamlet within the same town as the village is located.
You are absolutely correct. However, I question whether or not the intention of incorporating as a village is so that they can "clean up" the village. That "clean up" is not going to be easy and it's going to cost money to accomplish.

In a village like Lindenhurst that has been incorporated for a certain amount of time, taxes (or at least costs of operation) have leveled off, revenue is taken in in terms of taxes and fines/levies, and everyone sees a generally flat-line in income versus expenditure.

Not so in Mastic Beach, methinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island