Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:31 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,370 times

Advertisements

I did not sign on to City-Data for two days and I can't believe this thread got to be like 11 pages long in that time. I just recently had a crappy experience with a LI walmart and I am so aggrevated I do not think I will shop at one again. As previous posters have stated, sometimes quality is better than the price paid so people are willing to spend more for it. I feel the same way. I try to research everything I buy and it drives my wife nuts sometimes. So, I had to buy a car battery and after some research I was able to narrow down battery brand names and their manufacturers. After even speaking with the manufacturer to inquire about the different brand names, I found the battery walmart sold was a good quality for the price. I actually wanted to buy a battery from my local mechanic but he was more expensive and he has a policy of having to put his own parts in and he charges a fee to do it on top of the cost. If he would have waived the fee, I would not have minded spending the extra money on giving him the business. So, since I intend to do the work myself, I visit the Westbury walmart, which was my first mistake. My second mistake was going there in the evening. My third mistake was asking for help . I even sought out an employee that "looked" like he had some semblance of customer service training. He radios the office to send someone to the automotive section. I wait, and wait and wait....and as I suspected, no one came. Now the point of my inquiry was because NY state charges a battery fee that is waived if you trade in an old battery. So I wanted to know what do do with my old battery to get the credit--I never found out. I ate the fee, bought the new battery and left. I want to complain but it will probably fall on deaf ears--who would I even complain to?

Whats amazing is that when a walmart opens, the stores are so nice and clean. They really build a nice new store but then again, anything new is usually nice. Then, its as if you are watching the store self destruct, and "DE-Build" itself. They turn into crapholes so fast. Westbury never had a chance. The Walmart in Massapequa had potential--it has lost its luster. Being attached to the Dirt Mall...err...Sunrise mall does not really help it. Islandia on Vets Hwy--horror show. Rt 110 on the Farmingdale/Amityville area--shoot me if I ever consider it again.

For those of you who have shopped at Walmarts or Supercenters or Super Targets in other states, the shopping experiences are usually relatively normal and straight forward. I would not say I am a dedicated frequent shopper there but my experience here in Florida and on LI have been night and day. However, I am convinced that Walmarts on LI are all doomed to degrade as the months go on. Maybe its the demographic, maybe its the quality of the management or the employees, or maybe its even the customers but something is wrong with these stores. Can you even ask yourself if you would consider asking for help in these stores--can you think of the response you may get? And as a side note, some Targets are no better but they are nowhere near the crapholes the walmarts become. This is just my experience and my two cents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 07:41 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,469 times
walmart has crappy customer service, it's a low-end store. people don't like walmart primarily for this reason.

it's like a dining experience, it's not just the food but the ambiance and customer service.

i never said walmart was great because it's downright annoying (almost zero customer service). it's just got lower prices. i like to buy tires there (good prices) and get an oil change on the car etc.

there are too many walmarts, i think that's whats aggravating people and the lack of other 'reasonably-priced' choices (stores). also, over-exposure. it's like 'crap, i've got to go to wal-mart to get that at this or that price'.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Hey, if you ever need a ridiculously cheap car battery go to One Stop Auto in Wantagh (on the corner of Wantagh & Park Avenues). They sell rebuilt batteries that I've been buying for years and last just as long as the cheaper name brands.....price range is $15-$30, it's awesome.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:46 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
I didn't realize Hallmark was a status symbol??? I was using the website to send e-cards of Hoops and YoYo, whom I just love! However, they redid the whole thing and are charging for alot of the cards! I emailed them and told them I enjoyed the cards but I'm done!
That is something I don't "need". I "want" it, yes, but is it worth it?
When I went to the Middle Island Wal-Mart, I found it to be clean and neat. The people shopping there were not the dregs of society. I bought Dr Scholls shoes for work for a mere $20. That was a bargain! I bought light bulbs, garbage pails (cuz I just moved back here) and a few other items I "needed". Is that wrong? Should I go to a shoe store for shoes and pay more? Then hit a hardware store for light bulbs and garbage pails and pay more? Then run to the grocery store to buy a gallon of milk and pay more? and on and on. Why should I spend my time and gas and use more of my hard earned money? Wal-mart took care of my "needs" and did it for less.
My "wants" are many but I also want a gazillion dollars and that ain't gonna happen! LOL So, I work hard, cover my needs as efficiently as possible, and my wants are on the back burner. I don't need designer brands, I don't need the newest, the latest, the most expensive. When asked what I want for my birthday, I will ask for a bird feeder or something else that gives simple pleasure.
I guess, in this way, I fit in well in Pa. LI is a hard place to survive if you are a single woman. Wal-mart is not evil. It fills a need for many and that does not make me inferior to the people that prefer Macy's.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:53 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
I didn't realize Hallmark was a status symbol??? I was using the website to send e-cards of Hoops and YoYo, whom I just love! However, they redid the whole thing and are charging for alot of the cards! I emailed them and told them I enjoyed the cards but I'm done!
That is something I don't "need". I "want" it, yes, but is it worth it?
When I went to the Middle Island Wal-Mart, I found it to be clean and neat. The people shopping there were not the dregs of society. I bought Dr Scholls shoes for work for a mere $20. That was a bargain! I bought light bulbs, garbage pails (cuz I just moved back here) and a few other items I "needed". Is that wrong? Should I go to a shoe store for shoes and pay more? Then hit a hardware store for light bulbs and garbage pails and pay more? Then run to the grocery store to buy a gallon of milk and pay more? and on and on. Why should I spend my time and gas and use more of my hard earned money? Wal-mart took care of my "needs" and did it for less.
My "wants" are many but I also want a gazillion dollars and that ain't gonna happen! LOL So, I work hard, cover my needs as efficiently as possible, and my wants are on the back burner. I don't need designer brands, I don't need the newest, the latest, the most expensive. When asked what I want for my birthday, I will ask for a bird feeder or something else that gives simple pleasure.
I guess, in this way, I fit in well in Pa. LI is a hard place to survive if you are a single woman. Wal-mart is not evil. It fills a need for many and that does not make me inferior to the people that prefer Macy's.

F Hallmark and Wal Mart

"When you care enough to hit send"
http://www.someecards.com/upload/som..._downturn.html
crooks

Old 02-25-2009, 07:54 PM

814 posts, read 2,307,469 times
haha, what i find annoying about walmart is all the stores are going to have the same stock. there is little variance so you feel limited in your choices but still have to shop there because it's the only decently priced store in the area. it's like the feeling of being force-fed the same food every day. you just crave a change.

that i can definitely understand. when i was shopping at the ala moana wal-mart, i wasn't that annoyed as it had a lot of products geared toward and to appeal to the area. lots of ethnic and quirky stuff. still annoyed but not as much. lol

Old 02-25-2009, 08:12 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
LMAO! Love the cards, Crooks!
BTW, I have had no problem getting assistance in Wal-mart so far. The Pa store was great and when I had questions in the Middle Island store, the associate was helpful and polite. Now, mind you, that was my first trip there ever so who knows.
And as far as all the stores having the same merchandise, I guess I am a creature of habit cuz I like that. I can go to any Wal-mart and find what I need easily. I am not a mall shopper, haven't been to a mall in a number of years. I am not a browser. I go to the store only when I have to and want to get in and out as quickly as possible. Knowing where things are and what is carried is to my benefit. I hate shopping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe all the people who go to Wal-Mart are closet shopaphobics??? LOL Should I start a support group???

Old 02-26-2009, 02:47 AM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
haha, what i find annoying about walmart is all the stores are going to have the same stock. there is little variance so you feel limited in your choices but still have to shop there because it's the only decently priced store in the area. it's like the feeling of being force-fed the same food every day. you just crave a change.

that i can definitely understand. when i was shopping at the ala moana wal-mart, i wasn't that annoyed as it had a lot of products geared toward and to appeal to the area. lots of ethnic and quirky stuff. still annoyed but not as much. lol

Shop somewhere else, pay more...you get the change of store scenery you want, and you can pay more $$$$.

People "shop", the way they want...I don't mind, NOT being entertained, when I go shopping.

Old 02-26-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
QUESTION: You NEVER go shopping at Wal Mart...for ANYTHING ?

Old 02-26-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaana View Post
walmart has crappy customer service, it's a low-end store. people don't like walmart primarily for this reason.

it's like a dining experience, it's not just the food but the ambiance and customer service.

i never said walmart was great because it's downright annoying (almost zero customer service). it's just got lower prices. i like to buy tires there (good prices) and get an oil change on the car etc.

there are too many walmarts, i think that's whats aggravating people and the lack of other 'reasonably-priced' choices (stores). also, over-exposure. it's like 'crap, i've got to go to wal-mart to get that at this or that price'.

"Who" depends on ANYONE, IN ANY STORE, to help them ? I think it was when Burger King invented those picture punch Cash Registers, that I realized that "people" who work there, don't have to think...they just eat up the oxygen and take up space.

Clerks, are basically, superfluous, these days. If they can invent "self service" check outs and bar code reader stations, "WHY" would you need "ANYONE" to help you, for ANYTHING ?

HOW many people go shopping, without an idea of what they want, before, they go shopping ?

I don't see "why" ANY STORE, needs ANY human beings in a store...other than making sure they can "tackle" you, "if" you are walking out the door and stealing something.

You can get a hired thug to do that...and for "free" in some localities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island