Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 02:05 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,471,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
It's much more sophisticated than that these days. They vary the items by store, not just by region. The big chains do a LOT of research and analyze purchases. (One of the reasons they ask for your zip code when you're buying: they find out what people in particular areas buy, and tailor the merchandise accordingly.) They will adjust the mix of items (or the lines chosen) differently, depending on the clientele. Even a store like Macy's will go for a more upscale slant (in content and presentation) in Manhasset than in Sunrise Mall.

Generally, these stores have an inventory from which individual managers can pick and choose (to some extent).

But that's my point... their inventory is geared toward the population they serve. Using "all of" Long Island was a bad example on my part but you get the idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 03:44 PM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I do not agree that Walmarts attract the "dregs of society". It depends more on the neighborhood it's in. I've been to East Meadow,Middle Island, Setauket and they all seem like regular people shopping there, the stores are neat and not messy. Middle Island may have an older feel for it but its still a nice store.
OTOH, Westbury, Sunrise Mall, and Islandia are a mess, total ghetto stores. It aint Wal-mart's fault, the stores are located in or near ghettos. Westbury gets alot of the garbage from New Cassel, Islandia gets it from CI and Brentwood.
Its the shoppers from these neighborhoods that trash the stores. Walmart charges higher prices in these stores to cover all the theft costs.
And it aint just Walmart. Target in Levittown is neat and clean, but go to the one in Hicksville and it's a mess. It's because of the NEIGHBORHOOD, not the store.
I will travel out of my way to go to a nicer store, since it will often cost less and be a better shopping experience.
If people want these stores cleaned up, clean up the neighborhoods! And that is more complicated, like shutting down illegal rentals, instead of building new buildings that sit empty on Prospect Ave.
You got to clean up the trash before you can start anew.
the last time I checked, the sunrise mall wasnt located near a ghetto.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:47 PM

732 posts, read 1,735,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
the last time I checked, the sunrise mall wasnt located near a ghetto.
Amityville?

Old 02-26-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoleModel View Post
Amityville?
amityville is not really next door, per say. even the parts that are near the mall are not that bad. I know alot of people that live close to it that live in amityville and they are pretty much your average white working american.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:48 PM

1 posts, read 2,126 times
In middle island we need stores !!! There is nothing here to shop, everthing looks sooooo dirty , what is goin on with the corner of rocky point and 25? That gas station its been closed for years! What about where k mart used to be? It is a messy town here. We don1 t even have a good super market ! I am disgusted with this town !!!

Old 04-15-2009, 01:16 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,161,099 times
You pay for what you get..Middle Island is....well Middle Island.

Old 04-15-2009, 07:04 PM

592 posts, read 1,814,549 times
Hey watch it!! We raised our children in Amityville. Lived there for 16 years during the 80's, (along with late 70's and early 90's) and loved it there. Lots of great people there--of all colors. We all (our kids and us) still go back to see friends there and go to church there, in fact, when we're on LI.

Old 04-19-2009, 09:13 PM

280 posts, read 603,902 times
Walmart = All the rest. Why are people picking on Wal-Mart? Because we are blind, we have been conditioned. Go to Stop & Shop, look carefully, and you'll see some veggies being rotten, you'll see bloody little puddles near in the meat section, you'll see store personnel halfway asleep, some won't even look at you as they hand you the receipt. Look at Target. Are products really that different from Wal-Mart's? Look at the materials everything is made of: foam (toys, shoes), polyester (bath mats, blankets, clothing, toys), plastic (dishes, furniture, toys). All unhealthy, and full of chemicals. Do you not think that these companies use the same designers? Look around, practically everything looks the same!! I should have worked in marketing/ads ;-), I see through this stuff. You market the colors, shapes, patterns to different populations differently. Wal - Mart will be more subdued, Target will be more "splashy", more orange, more pink, more of everything, you'll see lots of lines, spots. You go to Target and you think, now this is "me". No. This is America 2009. And it will stay this way for a looooong time. So adjust!

That's why, if you want different, shop online. You won't even have to leave your house. Shop Pottery Barn, shop Bloomingdales if you like. But let people be. Everyone wants the best for their kids, for themselves. People you complain about have been likely born into the lifestyle they're currently in. They don't know any different. They don't know what BETTER means. This is IT for them. Have some compassion.

And don't forget, when the lines are super long and you just "can't stand it" at Wal-Mart, just go to the customer desk, they'll check out your toilet paper super fast ;-)

Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
you'll see store personnel halfway asleep,
theres a guy that works overnight in the massapequa walmart that is homeless and sleeps in the store. I think its disgusting but who are we going to complain to? he is also a manager!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:23 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,616 times
"That's why, if you want different, shop online. You won't even have to leave your house. Shop Pottery Barn, shop Bloomingdales if you like. But let people be. Everyone wants the best for their kids, for themselves. People you complain about have been likely born into the lifestyle they're currently in. They don't know any different. They don't know what BETTER means. This is IT for them. Have some compassion."

Geez, I don't need anyone to have pity on me!! I just want to buy my groceries at a reasonable price! LOL!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island