Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 07:19 AM

2,335 posts, read 4,152,589 times

Advertisements

Radio sucks all around the country these days. I grew up listening to Vin Scelsa, Scott Muni, Meg Griffin etc. WNEW and 99X (before it became KISS-FM which I love too) were my favorite stations. Paco on KTU 92, great times.

It's just the Clear Channel-ification of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 07:49 AM

438 posts, read 832,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardiff Giant View Post
Radio sucks all around the country these days. I grew up listening to Vin Scelsa, Scott Muni, Meg Griffin etc. WNEW and 99X (before it became KISS-FM which I love too) were my favorite stations. Paco on KTU 92, great times.

So true. You might agree with this- Even the radio stations here in Austin stink.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:54 AM

Yeah, I never listen to the stations here in Austin though I have tried.

Either it's dirty south hip hip (awful), Spanish stations and BOB-FM (which isn't the worst thing).

I would take WBAB over Austin radio! Ha, not really. I forgot to mention that I do miss WPLR 99.1 in New Haven too. Do they still wig out on Friday afternoons?

Old 07-09-2009, 01:53 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,174 times
Quote:
Yeah, I never listen to the stations here in Austin though I have tried.

Either it's dirty south hip hip (awful), Spanish stations and BOB-FM (which isn't the worst thing).

I would take WBAB over Austin radio! Ha, not really. I forgot to mention that I do miss WPLR 99.1 in New Haven too. Do they still wig out on Friday afternoons?
Yes they do Cardiff, yes they do. The good ol' wigmeister.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:11 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,872 times
Sirius /XM Satellite radio!

Old 07-13-2009, 08:27 AM

After posting in this thread last week I decided to put the radio on for a few minutes on the way home. The first song I heard was a Milli Vanilli remix (I'm not kidding). I changed the station to find an old classic by England Dan and John Ford Coley.

I can't make this up! Thank heavens for my iPod (and Sirius in the wife's car)...

Old 07-13-2009, 09:39 AM

294 posts, read 743,990 times
Agree with all of the sentiments expressed here. I stopped listening to commercial rock music radio at least 20 years ago.

Since I'm into progressive rock, I found that this genre was revived in the early 90's and still continues today, completely under the radar. I only listen to online stations now where I can hear new prog rock. There are some incredible bands out there that would sound fantastic on stations like WBAB, but you'll never hear them unless you go on the internet. It's a damn shame.

Another good genre I like which goes below the radar also is loosely categorized as "stoner rock." A lot of bands reviving the fuzzed out analog guitar sound of the 70's. A band like Spiritual Beggars has completely channeled the vibe of 70's Deep Purple. This stuff would sound killer blasting out of your car radio.

So for me, it's only CDs or internet radio if I want rock.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,517,443 times
Quote:
After posting in this thread last week I decided to put the radio on for a few minutes on the way home. The first song I heard was a Milli Vanilli remix (I'm not kidding). I changed the station to find an old classic by England Dan and John Ford Coley.

I can't make this up! Thank heavens for my iPod (and Sirius in the wife's car)...
Driving back from Sandy Hook yesterday was torture. Traffic was great...but my Ipod connector went dead and was forced to listen to commercial radio....just awful! One more Lady Gaga song and I was going to drive off the Varranzano!

Old 07-16-2009, 08:46 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,237,928 times
Quote:

yep. ! No personalities anymore. Just stupid banter in the morning.

Old 07-17-2009, 02:39 PM

563 posts, read 2,570,535 times
I can hit scan on the radio and it will go through all the band and there is really nothing good on at all. These stations are the pits. I am glad my car has sirius but my wife's car is brutal when I have to drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island