Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times

Advertisements

Mjeacoma, the article is wrong on several accounts: the Village of Brookville is not the site of where the Great Gatsby lived (that would be the Village of Great Neck estates) nor is it small (relative to other North Shore villages).

For those who may not be familiar with Brookville:

Brookville is a village (incorporated in 1931) in the central part of the Town of Oyster Bay, in the north-central part of Nassau County, along the Oyster Bay/North Hempstead town line.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Village of Brookville in the Town of Oyster Bay is bordered on the north by the Village of Old Brookville, the Village of Upper Brookville and the Village of Muttontown; on the east by the Village of Muttontown; on the south by the Hamlet of Jericho and the Village of Old Westbury; and, on the west by the Village of Old Westbury and the Village of East Hills in the Town of North Hempstead (the Oyster Bay/North Hempstead town line).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/08/Brookville-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Brookville is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the village name in their mailing address: places in the Village of Brookville have a "Glen Head, NY 11545", "Greenvale, NY 11548" and "Jericho, NY 11753" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2009, 11:03 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Mjeacoma, the article is wrong on several accounts: the Village of Brookville is not the site of where the Great Gatsby lived (that would be the Village of Great Neck estates) nor is it small (relative to other North Shore villages).
The Great Gatsby lived on the fictional West Egg Peninsula, not-so-loosely based on the Great Neck Peninsula...however it couldn't have been Great Neck Estates because at one point in the book Nick Carraway describes standing at the shoreline of the Great Gatsby's mansion and staring across the bay at East Egg (not-so-loosely based on the Cow Neck Peninsula). Great Neck Estates is on the west side, you can only see across to Douglaston from there. Most likely it was simply based on the part of Great Neck that would become Kings Point, as Kings Point hadn't become a village when most of the book was written.

Old 03-18-2009, 11:15 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times
There's a significant number of geography errors in that book, though (I believe Nick's walk is geographically impossible). Of course when we read the book in HS, we all had fun with the local geography.

It could have been that Fitzgerald based the setting on GN Estates, but transposed it to the other side of the peninsula so Gatsby could look at East Egg. Fitzgerald rented a house in the Estates so it would make sense that he based the setting on it.

Old 03-19-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
The Great Gatsby lived on the fictional West Egg Peninsula, not-so-loosely based on the Great Neck Peninsula...however it couldn't have been Great Neck Estates

You're correct SeanX4.

I was thinking of F. Scott Fitzgerald but typed Great Gatsby.

Old 03-19-2009, 09:37 AM

67 posts, read 360,639 times
Brookville - Old Long Island

Old 03-19-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldLongIsland View Post
Your link www.oldlongisland.com/search/label/Brookville does not work, and generates the following error message:

NOT FOUND.
ERROR 404.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:39 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
worked just fine for me.

Old 03-19-2009, 12:01 PM

183 posts, read 618,998 times
great site - thanks for the link to the old li stuff

Old 03-19-2009, 02:47 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexisT View Post
There's a significant number of geography errors in that book, though (I believe Nick's walk is geographically impossible). Of course when we read the book in HS, we all had fun with the local geography.

It could have been that Fitzgerald based the setting on GN Estates, but transposed it to the other side of the peninsula so Gatsby could look at East Egg. Fitzgerald rented a house in the Estates so it would make sense that he based the setting on it.
It's been so many years, I'd have to read it again....

I do remember the description of the "smoldering fields of ash" Jay Gatsby saw out the window from the train to Manhattan, which was supposedly a fairly accurate take on the LIRR Port Washington branch trestle over Flushing Bay and what the scenery in that area looked like at the time. The mechanic's garage was supposed to be on Northern Boulevard somewhere in Douglaston.

I wonder if I still have a copy of that book....I'd love to pull it out and see if I can find any other geographic similarities that eluded me when I was in high school.

Old 03-19-2009, 03:13 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,977,387 times
We have entered an economic era, of Class Warfare, where, "if" we don't learn the lessons of the past, we will be forced to repeat them...to our detriment.

Here's some background material.

http://chnm.gmu.edu/revolution/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island