Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 10:18 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
I doubt that, go to any day laborer spot and I guarantee that you won't find one American citizen there. The reason being that hey are to lazy to do real work and would rather stay home and collect unemployment, while complaining that they can't find work because of illegal. I don't agree with illegal being here but at the same time they do perform a service to this country that our own citizens refuse to do. They actually put forth an effort compared to the lazy asses on welfare.
Therein lies the rub.

Most Americans do not need to go to places where day laborers congregate in order to find work. As legal citizens, they have the documentation required to be hired legally. Unfortunately, some employers would rather skirt the law and avoid paying taxes and the higher payroll an American would require to live here. The illegal day laborer is accepting cash, allowing the unscrupulous employer to evade taxes. The illegal is also living cramped into a home with many of his fellow countrymen, in situations which are in violation of local codes, as well as unsafe. (We've seen news reports of fires in illegally divided homes and apartments, resulting in deaths.)

1) INS should go to where the day laborers congregate and ship them home.
2) The jobs freed up by deportation of day laborers should be reported to the NYSDOL
3) NYSDOL should offer these jobs to those on unemployment. Refuse the work and lose the benefit.
4) Anyone on the public dole should be subject to random drug testing. Test positive, lose the benefit.

As a society, we are responsible for allowing the government to continue programs consisting of handouts as opposed to hand ups. There is nothing to motivate the individuals who sit back and collect, knowing there is no retribution for their inaction.

Granted, we have allowed this to happen, we have enabled the government to turn a blind eye to the increasing illegal population as it was also to the benefit of large business to have cheap labor. But at what cost to the taxpayers?

What is to say that if the day laborers are granted amnesty and the benefits the 'lazy' Americans receive, that they, too, won't start working the system?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2009, 03:34 PM

73 posts, read 292,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Therein lies the rub.

Most Americans do not need to go to places where day laborers congregate in order to find work. As legal citizens, they have the documentation required to be hired legally. Unfortunately, some employers would rather skirt the law and avoid paying taxes and the higher payroll an American would require to live here. The illegal day laborer is accepting cash, allowing the unscrupulous employer to evade taxes. The illegal is also living cramped into a home with many of his fellow countrymen, in situations which are in violation of local codes, as well as unsafe. (We've seen news reports of fires in illegally divided homes and apartments, resulting in deaths.)

1) INS should go to where the day laborers congregate and ship them home.
2) The jobs freed up by deportation of day laborers should be reported to the NYSDOL
3) NYSDOL should offer these jobs to those on unemployment. Refuse the work and lose the benefit.
4) Anyone on the public dole should be subject to random drug testing. Test positive, lose the benefit.

As a society, we are responsible for allowing the government to continue programs consisting of handouts as opposed to hand ups. There is nothing to motivate the individuals who sit back and collect, knowing there is no retribution for their inaction.

Granted, we have allowed this to happen, we have enabled the government to turn a blind eye to the increasing illegal population as it was also to the benefit of large business to have cheap labor. But at what cost to the taxpayers?

What is to say that if the day laborers are granted amnesty and the benefits the 'lazy' Americans receive, that they, too, won't start working the system?
The only problem with #3 in your list is does it make sense for someone who makes $25-30/hr to be forced to take a job that makes 1/2 that instead of using that time to find a job in his field that pays close to what he was making? It's try, some people are lazy and ride the benefits (which only last a limited amount of time) but there are a ton of people looking and interviewing for jobs paying more than $405/week!

Old 04-29-2009, 04:15 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,541 times
Illegal Immigrans? Swine Flu anyone?

Old 04-29-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napjester666 View Post
The only problem with #3 in your list is does it make sense for someone who makes $25-30/hr to be forced to take a job that makes 1/2 that instead of using that time to find a job in his field that pays close to what he was making? It's try, some people are lazy and ride the benefits (which only last a limited amount of time) but there are a ton of people looking and interviewing for jobs paying more than $405/week!
If a person is unemployed they are making $0 per hour while they collect unemployment benefits that their employer has contributed to. Given the high number of claimants and the fact that the amount of money in the UI coffers is rapidly depleting, offering a claimant a job would be helpful by taking some of the pressure off the UI fund.

If I offer an unemployed person a job which they have the skills to perform, and they refuse it, they can lose their unemployment benefits.

I've had guys coming to me looking for $1,500 per week in construction. They go from me, to the next guy, to the guy after him...they want big dollars in a slowing economy -- it isn't happening. We all have to tighten our belts and put aside the pride.

Going back to the OP -- there are plenty of people, here legally or every race, who are willing to do the grunt work.

It is unfair, stereotyping, and racist when other posters suggest that white Americans are lazy and that Hispanic day laborers will do what the white man won't.

Old 04-30-2009, 04:51 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,141,482 times
Quote:
If a person is unemployed they are making $0 per hour while they collect unemployment benefits that their employer has contributed to. Given the high number of claimants and the fact that the amount of money in the UI coffers is rapidly depleting, offering a claimant a job would be helpful by taking some of the pressure off the UI fund.

If I offer an unemployed person a job which they have the skills to perform, and they refuse it, they can lose their unemployment benefits.

I've had guys coming to me looking for $1,500 per week in construction. They go from me, to the next guy, to the guy after him...they want big dollars in a slowing economy -- it isn't happening. We all have to tighten our belts and put aside the pride.

Going back to the OP -- there are plenty of people, here legally or every race, who are willing to do the grunt work.

It is unfair, stereotyping, and racist when other posters suggest that white Americans are lazy and that Hispanic day laborers will do what the white man won't.
I dont think its racist to call a the white man lazy. If I wasnt white, then it would be racist. Its like a black man calling another black the "N" word. its not racist when your in fact, the same race.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:57 PM

544 posts, read 940,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
I dont think its racist to call a the white man lazy. If I wasnt white, then it would be racist. Its like a black man calling another black the "N" word. its not racist when your in fact, the same race.
I'm Hispanic and married to a hard working white person. Yes, I find your post racist. You're branding whites lazy. What if I were to call all Italians mafia? All Irish drunks? All Muslims terrorists? You and I both know it's not true for all people in those groups, nor are all whites lazy and all illegal aliens hard working.

One black person calling another the "N" word is working a double standard. If it isn't acceptable to use the word, it should not be used by anyone.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:19 PM

212 posts, read 699,882 times
$100 a day.20 days work.hard labor work.who wants the job?

Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 AM

151 posts, read 534,971 times
Quote:

OK, granted it is unfair and stereotyping. Though the fact still remains that most Americans (black, white, brown, pink purple) would rather collect unemployment then take a step down and do menial labor.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:41 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arangoa79 View Post
OK, granted it is unfair and stereotyping. Though the fact still remains that most Americans (black, white, brown, pink purple) would rather collect unemployment then take a step down and do menial labor.
Many Americans that have been spending their careers in offices very well may not be able to stand at a labor pick-up place and represent themselves as ready to go and up to speed when it comes to construction, landscaping, etc. That is what the employer of day laborers is looking for ... people who can jump right into the tasks, not people who are more of a hazard with a hammer or power tools than a help! If the employer has a large job and needs helpers and clean up crews that is the only type of thing they would take people with little to no experience for.

If things get worse with unemployment you may see more construction helpers, demolition crews, and landscaper trainees that are Americans starting at the bottom in physical labor jobs.

I think that perhaps the cheap labor boom of illegal aliens may be over soon anyway. I read an article in Newsday where an organization is helping Chinese women who work in nail salons who are overworked, underpaid and cheated. This same organization helps foreign people in the restaurant trades like delivery guys. They are helping these people fight for the same rights as American workers. It does not matter if the workers are here illegally, as employers are still required to pay them and treat them equivalent to American standards. Illegal aliens can sue for back wages, etc., and they are not required to disclose their immigration status to the courts either. The courts cannot ask. So they can work for years and be underpaid, not given proper breaks, etc., and then sue the employer for front and back pay. If this movement grows and has more good court victories, illegal aliens will not be sought after for cheap labor anymore because they won't be cheap and even if they are cheap today, they may sue the employer in the future for all the back wages, so the employer saves nothing.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Many Americans that have been spending their careers in offices very well may not be able to stand at a labor pick-up place and represent themselves as ready to go and up to speed when it comes to construction, landscaping, etc. That is what the employer of day laborers is looking for ... people who can jump right into the tasks, not people who are more of a hazard with a hammer or power tools than a help! If the employer has a large job and needs helpers and clean up crews that is the only type of thing they would take people with little to no experience for.

If things get worse with unemployment you may see more construction helpers, demolition crews, and landscaper trainees that are Americans starting at the bottom in physical labor jobs.

I think that perhaps the cheap labor boom of illegal aliens may be over soon anyway. I read an article in Newsday where an organization is helping Chinese women who work in nail salons who are overworked, underpaid and cheated. This same organization helps foreign people in the restaurant trades like delivery guys. They are helping these people fight for the same rights as American workers. It does not matter if the workers are here illegally, as employers are still required to pay them and treat them equivalent to American standards. Illegal aliens can sue for back wages, etc., and they are not required to disclose their immigration status to the courts either. The courts cannot ask. So they can work for years and be underpaid, not given proper breaks, etc., and then sue the employer for front and back pay. If this movement grows and has more good court victories, illegal aliens will not be sought after for cheap labor anymore because they won't be cheap and even if they are cheap today, they may sue the employer in the future for all the back wages, so the employer saves nothing.
I guess one could say some Americans (based upon their careers) have gotten soft; you've made a good point about how office-types aren't going to handle the physical manual labor as well as someone who has already been doing that. Soft does not mean lazy as other posters have implied.

The information you've given about groups for illegals trying to gain them the standards which legal American workers receive is very interesting. This whole thing could eventually implode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island