Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 03:39 PM

60 posts, read 58,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
A bit of backpedaling, I see. You're still wrong. It's people like that you that whip up hysteria based on half-truths. Find our what the correct information is, get someone to explain to you how it is actually applied ... and then post it. By the way, the vacation cap has been in effect for more than 30 years, probably since before you were born. Unless 30 years is "very recently" to you...

Please take note that I have not defended anyone throughout all of your rants. I've simply tried to have you realize and understand that what you believe is your opinion, not a set of facts; and that you need to post accurate information. I've yet to see any.
Look, a cop gets the day off but if he/she is forced to work it they get paid double-time and a half. In my book, that's a day off. We are talking about the number of hours cops are required to work STRAIGHT time... and guess what, that number is about the same number of hours teachers work when you adjust for chart days, 5 on 3 off every other week, 6 weeks of vacation, etc.

How about the longevity checks cops get?? That's another source of income from the government for their jobs that isn't factored into the base of 98k for an SCPD. These are facts and you've yet to provide any.

Old 04-30-2009, 03:48 PM

939 posts, read 1,849,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofthewoods View Post
you all can argue back and forth all you want on the subject..but please do not forget that these men and woman will come when you call for help no matter the time of day or night. every day when they leave home they don't know if they will return. so far 41 law enforcement officers have been killed in the line of duty since jan 1.

sorry but the police bashing is getting a little crazy. please respect the people who put their life on the line for YOU.
Thank you. Where all the cop-bashing arguments fall short is that they fail to realize that regardless of how many deaths or injuries the police may experience, cops intentionally put themselves in harms way. In other words, when everyone else is running away from the danger, they're running towards it. And each time that you put yourself in harms way, your chances of being killed or injured increase. It's not the actual numbers, it's the potential.

But we'll never convince those posters. They think they've got it all figured out because they watch CSI and they know exactly what the cops do and how they're supposed to do it. It always brought a smile to my face to encounter so many people on a daily basis who knew how to do my job better than me and weren't the least bit shy about telling me that. How many other professions can say that?

Old 04-30-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi, my name is... View Post
Look, a cop gets the day off but if he/she is forced to work it they get paid double-time and a half. In my book, that's a day off. We are talking about the number of hours cops are required to work STRAIGHT time... and guess what, that number is about the same number of hours teachers work when you adjust for chart days, 5 on 3 off every other week, 6 weeks of vacation, etc.

How about the longevity checks cops get?? That's another source of income from the government for their jobs that isn't factored into the base of 98k for an SCPD. These are facts and you've yet to provide any.
You're doing it again. What makes you think uniformed cops get "chart" days? Again, you have no idea what this means ... but it sure must be some kind of a scam in your mind. I'm not going to tutor you on all of the contract provisions and how they're applied ... in your case, that would take way too long. Why don't move on a more productive discussion. All you can offer is a series of very biased opinions.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
You're doing it again. What makes you think uniformed cops get "chart" days? Again, you have no idea what this means ... but it sure must be some kind of a scam in your mind. I'm not going to tutor you on all of the contract provisions and how they're applied ... in your case, that would take way too long. Why don't move on a more productive discussion. All you can offer is a series of very biased opinions.
here is a DM I got from someone who is also sick of your tired act of defending the police and making it seem like what they get isn't all that ridiculous:
That pcdrnet's line of argument is bugging me with burden of proof nonsense, but I don't want to get involved. Here is a link to a NY times article that has the numbers in it.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpag...=&pagewanted=1

and here is one from the post

http://www.nypost.com/seven/12282008..._in_146127.htm

maybe if he sees it from a newspaper source he will stop whining.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
here is a DM I got from someone who is also sick of your tired act of defending the police and making it seem like what they get isn't all that ridiculous:
That pcdrnet's line of argument is bugging me with burden of proof nonsense, but I don't want to get involved. Here is a link to a NY times article that has the numbers in it.

I hate to quote myself but wow... it really is true that the NCPD and SCPD work less hours than TEACHERS while being paid significantly more!!!

Even though the school tax is larger, is appears the police are the ones who are really gaming the system!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:

And your point is what? The Post article is a press release from Steve Levy and, just like you, he tries to paint contract provisions in the most unfavorable light. For instance, cops don't get to take 26 sick leave days a year. The average cop uses a handful of days or else he runs the risk being designated a sick leave abuser, which brings about a whole host of administrative sanctions. But you wouldn't know this because you're running with headlines ... from that bastion of accuracy, the NY Post.

And the Times article doesn't do any better job. It talks about how many days a cop comes to work ... but what's more important is what the total number of hours is. Nassau cops work less days, but they work 12 hour shifts. Works out to the same numbers as Suffolk. But again, you wouldn't know.

For the last time, get some accurate information and get an accurate understanding of that information before you start thumping your chest about how all the big bad cops are screwing the public.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
I hate to quote myself but wow... it really is true that the NCPD and SCPD work less hours than TEACHERS while being paid significantly more!!!

Even though the school tax is larger, is appears the police are the ones who are really gaming the system!
And you base this on those articles? Try actually doing the math. Teachers work 180 days - cops 200 (including their vacation and personal days.) Teachers work 7 hour days and cops work 8. Please explain how cops work less. You're so blinded by your bias that you can't even work the numbers honestly.

Your ranting is getting tiresome. If you're that bothered by police compensation, maybe next time you'll make a better career choice. Until then, understand that what they've got in the way of pay and benefits is the result of legally binding contracts between the union and the county. It is what it is. Try whining to the County Executive. I'm sure he'll be receptive.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
And you base this on those articles? Try actually doing the math. Teachers work 180 days - cops 200 (including their vacation and personal days.) Teachers work 7 hour days and cops work 8. Please explain how cops work less. You're so blinded by your bias that you can't even work the numbers honestly.
You are severly misinformed... teachers work more than 180 days. They also work more than 7 hours. They also do not spend half of their shift in a parking lot reading the newspaper and drinking a cup of coffee. Teachers also cost about $40,000 less in salary alone (average ncpd after OT was $120k, average teacher is $80k). It's no contest who is raping the tax payers..

Old 04-30-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
And your point is what? The Post article is a press release from Steve Levy and, just like you, he tries to paint contract provisions in the most unfavorable light. For instance, cops don't get to take 26 sick leave days a year. The average cop uses a handful of days or else he runs the risk being designated a sick leave abuser, which brings about a whole host of administrative sanctions. But you wouldn't know this because you're running with headlines ... from that bastion of accuracy, the NY Post.

And the Times article doesn't do any better job. It talks about how many days a cop comes to work ... but what's more important is what the total number of hours is. Nassau cops work less days, but they work 12 hour shifts. Works out to the same numbers as Suffolk. But again, you wouldn't know.

For the last time, get some accurate information and get an accurate understanding of that information before you start thumping your chest about how all the big bad cops are screwing the public.
The average cop uses a few sick days and then banks the rest for a payout upon retirement!

The number of hours a cop works is still less than any other profession and basically equal to teachers. This is accurate info - just because you don't like it doesn't make it false!

Old 04-30-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:
You are severly misinformed... teachers work more than 180 days. They also work more than 7 hours. They also do not spend half of their shift in a parking lot reading the newspaper and drinking a cup of coffee. Teachers also cost about $40,000 less in salary alone (average ncpd after OT was $120k, average teacher is $80k). It's no contest who is raping the tax payers..
Take a look at the school calendar. School is in session for 180 days (state mandate). Teachers are physically in their buildings for 7 hours each day.

If you want to use PD overtime numbers, then you need to also use the additional monies that teachers earn from afterschool activities, summer school district work, etc. Compare apples with apples.

Again, you're trying to twist the numbers to prove your biased view of police compensation issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island