Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2009, 12:18 PM

74 posts, read 199,113 times

Advertisements

Was looking at a nice house in Nassau County the other day that seemed perfect for us however there were a couple of things that bothered me. First thing was that the house was sharing a side fence with one of those water collection sites. I dont know how to explain it any better but its a huge piece of land dug out deep to collect water during rainfall. Surrounded by trees but still sort of an eyesore. Does anyone know if there are any risks associated with being next to a site like that. Am I at risk for flooding because of it. More bugs? etc.. Also I noticed in the backyard there was a sewer grate that the property map told me was an open dry well. Ive never seen a sewer grate in someones backyard before. Im concerned my kids will trip and hurt themselves on it. Why is it there and can it be removed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 06:49 PM

1,416 posts, read 5,599,768 times
When I was a kid we used to call those sites a "sump". Nowadays I think the applicable term is "catch basin". They are either owned by the town or the county, I don't recall which. As for health issues it probably depends on the weather in any given season as well as how fast the collected water drains. Obviously if water sits for any appreciable length of time it will become a breeding site for mosquitoes during the warm months.

Not sure if the grate in the backyard of the house you saw has any connection with the catch-basin or whether it's something the owner put in for drainage purposes. Your best bet is to ask your realtor to ask the seller's realtor for a more detailed explanation. Does the house's yard at that point slope toward the catch basin, or it is maybe in a low-lying area of its own?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:32 PM

544 posts, read 938,912 times
House is next to a sump, has a dry well in the backyard...move along.

Bugs in the summer if there is any standing water. Critters. An attractive nuisance for the neighborhood kids.

Growing up in Nassau in the early 70's I recall stories of a children who drowned in sumps. They were looking for frogs, playing with the water -- being curious kids.

Old 05-14-2009, 04:43 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,139,915 times
I know the sump you are talking about. its by the sunrise mall, correct? you have no problem because it never has water, at least not long enough to do any harm.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:38 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,566 times
I view the sump as a positive. Consider it vacant land that can't be built on.
Sumps are "Recharge areas" for ground water. These are generally dry areas, designed to drain rapidly. If it has water in it, it's a "pond", not "Sump". I would not worry about bugs at all.
Seriously, I would like the house that much more becasue it's next to a sump. One less neighbor to worry about.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:43 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,566 times
Forgot about the drain in the backyard...
I guess your kids could trip on anything, huh?
This grate/drywell is designed to collect water runoff. I would be curious why it's there; did the property have a water problem and this was installed to correct it?
I think your home inspector can figure this out for you. I wouldn't call the grate a deal breaker.

Old 05-14-2009, 08:39 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
My best friend has lived next to a sump for over 15 years and has had no issues with it at all. As someone else said, it makes for a nice, peaceful neighbor.

Old 05-14-2009, 11:54 AM

187 posts, read 863,205 times
I have a sump right across the street. Been here for 4 1/2 years and no probs whatsoever. As others said, 1 less neighbor!

Old 05-14-2009, 03:07 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,212 times
I guess its all right.... I saw a couple of houses like that, what put me off is the lack of aesthetics sense surrounding the actual sump itself.... its like a bunch of trees growing randomly on the edge of the sump and it looks really crappy. I mean thats what you will see from your backyard....
Other than that, I'm on board with the "1 less neighbor" logic !!

Old 06-30-2017, 03:50 PM

8,518 posts, read 3,752,114 times
In the spring the mosquitos go nuts. My friend had to throw tadpoles and minnows in his across the street. In summer and winter it's fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island