Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 11:35 AM

330 posts, read 888,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherNYer View Post
djdairyp--what is your point? That teachers salaries are comparable in NC to Long Island teachers? Great!! I am a teacher in NC and I have 15 years experience, most of them being in NY-LI to be exact (not board certified yet-which ironically is big in many other places but LI) and make over $50,000. I do have my masters degree. I own my home and taxes are about $2,000 a year. I do live extremely comfortably down here. You mention Nassau county's top scores-yet Nassau county is NOT NY STATE. It is one small part of NY, just like their are many areas of NC that are more rural than Wake County, so you are comparing apples to oranges. You have good schools and bad schools in every state, county and town. Are you telling me Hempstead is on the top for state scores? THE big difference here is there are NO TEACHER UNIONS, which are bleeding LI dry. I don't recall Long Island ever being mentioned in a top 10 survey of best places to live for overall quality of life. Enjoy Long Island, it is a great area, but again you are paying a high price for the privilege of living there.
This is the long island forum, so yes nassau and/or suffolk would be the comparison to be made, the posts relate to LI, not NY. My data did not list NC state comparison COL, it listed various counties in NC so I dont see the problem. Anyhow, this is in reference to other posts that compare the state of NC to long island in relation to taxes, etc. It wasn't my comparison to begin with, I am simply working within the confines of what was already created.

My point is that people want to say that teachers are egregiously paid and its the reason for high cost of living on long island and they also are claiming the schools are not much better, with zero hard data to back it up. Most posts are pure speculation and opinon, where is any back up for what people say.

My point, is that I am addressing both of those issues. If you say you live very comfortable down there, and you agree salaries are similar adjusted for cost of living, then you agree that teachers in long island are not the main cause of the expense. This thread is not about which is better, NC or LI, or what the quality of life comparisons are ... it is about complaints of bloated teacher unions, which seem to be getting similar adjusted salaries to those in north carolina who are living very comfortably without all the complaints of bloated salaries. That is for now, until the massive growth catches up. Traffic is already starting to become a problem there and taxes are on the rise.

Housing is the number one massive expense here, in addition to everything costing more, electric, gas, services, etc. Teacher salaries make up part of the puzzle, but people seem to think the salaries are way higher than anywhere in the country, when I have just shown that a COL comparison makes NC teachers on a similar footing as LI teachers. So either NC teachers have bloated salaries as well, or something isnt right. Whether NC is better than LI or not, I really don't care, this is simply a statistical and monetary comparison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 07:52 PM

124 posts, read 292,990 times
BOTTOM LINE--not one post on this thread or other threads encourages ANYONE to move to Long Island--that about sums up the discussion about the appeal of LONG ISLAND!!! Inflated housing, taxes, utilities, insurance, etc.,makes one ask--uummmhh-what is the allure of Long Island then??? Plenty of other towns and cities and states have culture, museums, beaches, good schools--makes you wonder what is sooo special about LI.

Old 05-24-2009, 08:28 PM

330 posts, read 888,316 times
Quote:
BOTTOM LINE--not one post on this thread or other threads encourages ANYONE to move to Long Island--that about sums up the discussion about the appeal of LONG ISLAND!!! Inflated housing, taxes, utilities, insurance, etc.,makes one ask--uummmhh-what is the allure of Long Island then??? Plenty of other towns and cities and states have culture, museums, beaches, good schools--makes you wonder what is sooo special about LI.
I still don't see how this is relevant to this thread, its not about whether or not people want to or like to live on LI, but I will indulge.

A handful of anonymous people with a gripe come to a board largely to complain about somewhere and this is relevant information? Try reading threads revolving around why people love long island, there are many of them, and there are many posters who will say why LI is great, besides the cost which is probably the number one complaint. I personally don't think LI is 'great' and it has its problems but its not the epitomy of despair as many would make you believe here and has a lot to offer. The idea that LI is unappealing to all is simply based on misconceptions of people who post on this board. i.e. "I am moving from Louisiana and taking a new job in NYC making 35,000 a year, where should I live for excellent schools and a great safe community?". Hmmm, whats the answer going to be to this question? Some LI haters will give all kinds of reasons why it stinks here. Others who like it here will simply tell this person the reality of the long island suburb which is more 'city-like' than some other cities in the us and has costs that many can't fathom.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:12 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprprprp View Post
I voted yes and it was for the children (and the hardworking teachers who educate them too!)

Thanks Long Island teachers- you get alot of criticism and not much praise.

When budgets are defeated its always the students who suffer, which is why I always support the budget. Look at what happened in Smithtown's Library district, they voted the budget down and the libraries are closed on Sundays now and on many evenings.

Old 05-25-2009, 10:26 AM

130 posts, read 536,137 times
The thing that I don't think djdairyp and Johninwestbury aren't getting from some of us is, so yes, Johninwestbury, maybe it was more convenient for your library to be open on Sat. and Sun. for the people who work during the week and are too busy to go at night, BUT SOME PEOPLE who live in Smithtown's district MAYBE JUST COULDN'T AFFORD TO PAY ANYMORE TAXES! There IS a breaking point, which some of you just don't seem to grasp. Are we supposed to be thrown out of our homes because we simply can't pay another $75 or $100 more a month, or whatever the extra amount may be, to make the other people in the town who make more than us or have the extra money to pay the increase in the taxes? I don't see that you get the REAL POINT? There was in the past, articles in newspapers about some of the elderly people on LI eating pet food to be able to stay in their homes so that they could pay their bills. A lot of people are working two or even three jobs to pay their bills. It is not about criticising teachers or denying them pay, everyone should realize that. But when property taxes are the major bulk of the tax bill, that is the thing that people object to. It is about the facts of some people's lives. Is that DESPERATE enough for you all to grasp that more taxes and bills isn't an option.....................

Old 05-25-2009, 11:59 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by click View Post
The thing that I don't think djdairyp and Johninwestbury aren't getting from some of us is, so yes, Johninwestbury, maybe it was more convenient for your library to be open on Sat. and Sun. for the people who work during the week and are too busy to go at night, BUT SOME PEOPLE who live in Smithtown's district MAYBE JUST COULDN'T AFFORD TO PAY ANYMORE TAXES! There IS a breaking point, which some of you just don't seem to grasp. Are we supposed to be thrown out of our homes because we simply can't pay another $75 or $100 more a month, or whatever the extra amount may be, to make the other people in the town who make more than us or have the extra money to pay the increase in the taxes? I don't see that you get the REAL POINT? There was in the past, articles in newspapers about some of the elderly people on LI eating pet food to be able to stay in their homes so that they could pay their bills. A lot of people are working two or even three jobs to pay their bills. It is not about criticising teachers or denying them pay, everyone should realize that. But when property taxes are the major bulk of the tax bill, that is the thing that people object to. It is about the facts of some people's lives. Is that DESPERATE enough for you all to grasp that more taxes and bills isn't an option.....................
All I can say is I dont think the residents of Smithtown are in that dire of a situation. They're still driving around in huge SUV's, I see plenty of them, usually of the GMC Yukon variety. I also still see plenty of landscapers around too. Those are not considered neccesities. Before they say they cant afford a higher library tax they should look at tightening their own belt. Ditch the SUV and drive something smaller and maybe mow your own lawn (gasp!).
If I was looking at a defeated library or school budget in say...William Floyd I wouldn't be saying this, but none of the areas in Smithtown strike me as Blue Collar. Kings Park may have used to be, but it's gotten more upscale in recent years.
Considering all their money they could certainly do better when it comes to their library. Westbury Schools may be much less wealthy but we certainly have a better library. Ditto for towns like Riverhead too.

Old 05-25-2009, 01:14 PM

532 posts, read 1,270,686 times
Quote:
I moved here last year. Love the Island, the beaches, schools, etc. My family is happier here and find it a better place to live than our previous residency. I have no desire to go to the forum of my former home and let everyone know how great my life is here and how my new home is better than where they live. If you're happy with the move, great, but why the need to convince everyone else that you made a good move?

Old 05-25-2009, 02:01 PM

124 posts, read 292,990 times
Just stating the facts! Again I wonder why on current post on this forum many of you (including those of you so fervently pleading LI's case) are WARNING people to stay away!! I've said it before, I grew up on LI and began raising my own kids there, and love it, but many people are wondering if they too can take the leap and leave. I am only here to tell you it is possible and you will have a nice quality of life. LI has alot to offer, but soon most people will be forced out, it is difficult to live somewhere when it cost over $1,000 a month just to turn the key in your front door, then add on a big mortgage and utilities. Enjoy LI, I'm glad you are happy there, it is a pretty place.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,312,494 times
I don't warn people to stay away UNLESS I know they don't have the money and won't have the earning power to make it here. Then I am doing them a favor warning them away from a dire situation they may get themselves in with some cheapo LI employer offering them what looks like an impressive salary out in Podunk, Middle America, but won't actually cut it here. I don't think there's anything wrong with that and I don't think that by doing that I am saying LI is a bad place to live and that people should stay away.

Old 05-25-2009, 02:13 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,945 times
Some people have been griping about LI on this forum for years (way before the "bad" economy). People love to complain...it's human nature. Most of these people are still on LI because it is a great place to live (not perfect). Every place has its problems, but I wouldn't live anywhere else no matter how comfortable economically I would be.

I've been to Virginia and NC...there is not much there. Yes you get a big home and less financial struggling (for some), but all of the things that make LI and NY great are missing.

I went to Texas and I could get a mansion for the price of my LI home. My husband and I discussed this and swore we could never live in Texas. There is something about LI that I love and I would never give it up. Most people moving are people who have to move due to finances. LI is still very desirable. People just always need to dicsuss negatives and not positives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island