Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 06:20 PM

11,299 posts, read 18,895,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Well certainly some folks are unable to do their lawns and need landscapers. I doubt these are the majority of people that use them though, as most folks are fairly able-bodied and have kids, though kids these days are being treated like adults way too quickly, instead of doing the things that kids do (doing chores,etc).
As far as the SUVs go, minivans are often a better option. They may not look as "cool" but they actually have more room than SUV's and are supposed to be very safe. It is too bad the station wagon has been phased out, though I still think Volvo and Audi make some pretty nice ones.
The shame is, while minivans and SUV's have been out for 20-25 years, the complete phaseout of station wagons only happened recently. I know the VW Passat had a wagon in the early 2000s. And I have a Saturn L-Series wagon (2002 model.....I think they stopped making them in 2005).

I wish station wagons were in vogue again, they'd do a lot of good.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,307,279 times
Quote:
Well from what I see of Smithtown as a whole it is fairly well to do, especially compared to Brookhaven. Sure there are pockets of working class neighborhoods, but the majority of it appears to be upscale. The problem with school and library taxes is the way they are set up. A fairer solution would be to raise taxes the most on the rich.
As far as Vecchio goes, I cant stand him. He's in bed with the rich developers, and has been King of Smithtown for too long. Come to think of it, Smithtown is one of the few LI Townships that doesn't have any ghetto areas in it. Even Huntington cant brag that.
I'm sure Walter can look up some income and home value data
Yet, in another highly "value adding" thread you post a pic of the one wall behind the Smithtown train station that has graffiti on it, wondering why it is becoming such a bad area.

Broad brushstrokes about any area, or ethnicity in your many threads, are foolish.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:03 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Yet, in another highly "value adding" thread you post a pic of the one wall behind the Smithtown train station that has graffiti on it, wondering why it is becoming such a bad area.

Broad brushstrokes about any area, or ethnicity in your many threads, are foolish.

Never said it was a bad area, the building is an eyesore and was suprised it lingered for so long. The train station could be a bit better, but most stations on the PJ line, like any diesel line, seem to have a certain not so great element about them.
Now if the PJ was electrified Smithtown LIRR would be a much more bustling place.

Old 05-27-2009, 09:05 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,177,363 times
Quote:
Never said it was a bad area, the building is an eyesore and was suprised it lingered for so long. The train station could be a bit better, but most stations on the PJ line, like any diesel line, seem to have a certain not so great element about them.
Now if the PJ was electrified Smithtown LIRR would be a much more bustling place.

Amen to that.

Old 07-11-2009, 09:19 PM

100 posts, read 222,653 times
I am a young teacher who just bought my first home in the Shoreham Wading River school district in 2007. My husband works for the FDNY and let me tell you IMO we both do not get paid enough to live here anymore! For those of you who think teachers make so much money LOL WE DONT! Most districts start at $35,000. Thats not much to raise a family on here. Then youre forced to get your masters, which is more money we dont have. My husband then puts his life on the line almost every day and doesnt make much either. This is why all new graduates are leaving LI.. Its insane The stress of it all is just not worth it. On top of everything we moved to Shoreham to get away from Pat Med, where I grew up and lived for almost 30 years and now MY budget doesnt pass either. So discouraging.. Shoreham is in a lot of trouble now.. Our schools dont even have kitchens of places for the kids to eat in. They eat in their classrooms. I just dont know what to do! Then we moved next to a nice sod farm when we find out theyre considering building on it.. Even though its terribly difficult to get a teaching job on LI, my husband and I plan on just giving up and leaving in a few years! As it is now we dont know how were going to live month to month

Old 07-12-2009, 09:34 AM

294 posts, read 610,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdnywife View Post
Most districts start at $35,000. Thats not much to raise a family on here. Then youre forced to get your masters, which is more money we dont have.
I think the $35k amount is inaccurate (too low - probably more like the low 40s or so). While you may have to pay for your masters, your accumulated credits/degrees are tied directly to your salary increases. I am a state worker and the non-engineering entry level salary (must hold a bachelors) is also in the low 40s. I'd say that is pretty comparable to that of a teacher just starting out in Suffolk, and unlike teachers, they work year round. We do have a tuition reimbursement program, but at the same time, you certainly do not automatically get salary increases for accumulated credits/obtaining a masters or doctorate.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:15 PM

124 posts, read 292,990 times
I agree that it is difficult to live on LI because of cost. But I agree with previous poster, I know the starting salaries for teachers with bachelors is higher. Plus you can earn extra money by tutoring, and doing after school club work. What you both have going for you that most people don't is you can't be fired once you're tenured. I think in a few years you will change your mind about moving once you receive your masters and your pay continually increases. Something that the private sector cannot count on, let alone being employed for life. The person I most sympathize with is your husband, that is a difficult job and one that puts him in harms way. But if you really hate it you definitely have the option to leave before you get too settled.

Old 07-12-2009, 03:24 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,945 times
Although I absolutely agree that most teachers do not make enough money to live on LI and are underpaid...I do need to disagree about starting salary. No public school on LI starts at $35,000. Low $40,000's yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island