Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 03:27 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
Twice a year? I've only had ours pumped once, and that was two years ago (not long after we bought the house, and I was told it was pretty empty, even though the previous owners had NO CLUE if/when they ever pumped it). So... I probably don't need to do it again this year? I don't hear any gurgling... have had no sewage floods but I'd rather be proactive than reactive.

In an area with good drainage, what is the "norm" frequency for pumping, if there can be such a thing?
If you have sandy soil, you will have fewer problems. But from what I've observed, lifestyle can have an impact on the need as well (large family vs. small family; how many loads of wash, unless you have a drywell; frequent entertaining, etc.)

Spent 17 years in my last house and never once had it pumped (most of that time with kids - lots of washing!!) Must have been lucky...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 06:51 AM

3,515 posts, read 5,696,476 times
Just had mine pumped yesterday after an overflow in to the basement. Yuck.

Bit pricey but I had to have the pool pumped, chemicalized and the main line had to be cleared with the roto rooter device twice. $695.

Old 04-16-2013, 08:42 AM

1 posts, read 3,683 times
This tread is very interesting. It just so happens that I am having my cesspool cleaned today. I have lived in this house for 36 years and I think we had the cesspool cleaned once...I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I will see how lucky I am today. :-(

Old 07-11-2017, 03:28 AM

1 posts, read 2,026 times
Certified Cesspool & Drain is reasonable and I was shocked with there professionalism. The service lasted me over two years this time when I normally only get 8 months each time. I paid an extremely fair rate as well considering!

631-449-1572 or

[url=http://Www.CertifiedCesspool.com]Cesspool Pumping Suffolk County | Emergency Cesspool Svce[/url]

BEST RESULT OF ALL* QUOTES A REAL PRICE NO UPSELL

Old 07-11-2017, 08:48 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY cesspool View Post
Has anybody heard of a Carlson System? I'm being told that what i have, My understanding is that it is one unit over another. has anybody had one pumped and what was the cost .

Thanks,
Interesting.......that is a septic system with a leaching pool. Similar cost for pumping.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Why do these guys advertise for $99 then?
You know why! Get their foot in the door. I hate that!

Old 07-11-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7CatMom View Post
Our old cesspool needs to be pumped out twice a year as well. Sometimes you have poor drainage and as the pool ages it doesn't leach out as well as it used to.
We just had it done yesterday...$440 (no tax if cash) pumping and chemicals.

We know it needs to be done as we can hear gurgling in the pipes - at least it's a nicer warning than actually having sewage in the basement!
2x a year is too much.....you need to install a new system. You are just throwing away good money into a bad system.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:02 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
I put in a new septic tank with replacement cesspools and had it inspected 5 years after. Only a few inches of sludge in the septic tank and all was good.

Old 07-11-2017, 09:04 AM

Septic tank is much better for our coastal water but it is almost 2x the cost of a cesspool.

Septic should be pumped every 2 years or so. But since the waste is separated from liquid, it is less expensive than pumping a cesspool.

The best thing you can do for your cesspool is to separate your washing machine for the cesspool and install a dedicated drywell for it. #1 killer of cesspools is the laundry detergent, lint and fabric softeners.

Old 07-11-2017, 01:23 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Septic tank is much better for our coastal water but it is almost 2x the cost of a cesspool.

Septic should be pumped every 2 years or so. But since the waste is separated from liquid, it is less expensive than pumping a cesspool.

The best thing you can do for your cesspool is to separate your washing machine for the cesspool and install a dedicated drywell for it. #1 killer of cesspools is the laundry detergent, lint and fabric softeners.
Good point. My washer did drain to a drywell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island