Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 07:01 AM

240 posts, read 237,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Nassau and Suffolk cops are also part of the state pension system. There is no local pension system.
Aren't they in tier 2, which calls for no employee contribution? Also, aren't they able to add overtime to the pension calculation instead of just regular time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 07:11 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,040,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Fighter View Post
Aren't they in tier 2, which calls for no employee contribution? Also, aren't they able to add overtime to the pension calculation instead of just regular time?
I'm not sure if it's a different tier or just a different CB agreement, but what you say about their pensions is true. No contributions, able to pad last 3 years with overtime.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:17 AM

240 posts, read 237,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I'm not sure if it's a different tier or just a different CB agreement, but what you say about their pensions is true. No contributions, able to pad last 3 years with overtime.
How come the cops are able to do that and not other state employees? It seems nutty to be that it's done at all, but why let one group of employees get that crazy benefit and exclude the others?

Thanks

Old 06-11-2009, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56 Fighter View Post
How come the cops are able to do that and not other state employees? It seems nutty to be that it's done at all, but why let one group of employees get that crazy benefit and exclude the others?

Thanks
It most likely has something to do with a politician getting their palms greased by the PBA.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:44 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,384,540 times
Quote:
You didn't buy that condo in the last 5 years, I assume.

People always need to look at where housing prices are NOW for people who are talking about moving here. They cannot buy at 2000 prices..a 2 bedroom condo now is still running mid 200's. The 2.5X salary guideline doesn't work at 60K.
I bought it a year ago actually...I'm only 27 years old.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
You're SINGLE and you own a condo.

Talk to me when you are raising a family and you go to buy a house. I know what Condo's cost, I also know what kind of taxes are attached to them.

Talk to me when daycare costs $120 for two days!!! Imagine what a week costs for not one, but two kids. Probably your wife will make maybe a little extra above what it costs to cover the child care in her absence. .. unless, of course she is in a job that pays around the $60K mark..

But let's say your wife is an adminstrative assistant and would maybe make $40K. After taxes, after daycare she takes home maybe 50% of that bringing your salary to to say $80K. Mind you now your kids are in daycare 8 hours a day while both parents work.

And let's say you decide that the hours she puts in at work away from the kids is not worth what she actually brings home after paying for daycare etc. and so she stops working to be home with the kids. Average size family is maybe 2 kids? Try living on $60K a year then in a house on Long Island.

Single people pulling your salary are living just fine... it's those that get married and are trying to raise families that are getting killed by the cost of living. It seems the choice is to stay and live on LI and allow daycare to raise the kids ( or grandparents and school because of mom and dad working) or move someplace and actually get to spend time with the kids and live more comfortably on one parent's salary.

My mom didnt' HAVE to work, she only went to work when we were older because she was bored with herself while we were at school and it was part time... now BOTH parents have to be working full time to survive unless the husband alone is pulling in 6 figures!!
I would not be allowed to have a wife in this state...lol

Old 06-11-2009, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I bought it a year ago actually...I'm only 27 years old.
You bought a condo a year ago making 60K..or the 90K that the other poster linked to..... How about telling the truth?

Old 06-11-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
You bought a condo a year ago making 60K..or the 90K that the other poster linked to..... How about telling the truth?
I make $60k...if I made $90k I would be living in a house...or trying to anyway. I know I can't afford a house, so I didn't bother looking for one.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,919 times
Quote:

I believe that link was in reference to BigMike

Old 06-11-2009, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I make $60k...if I made $90k I would be living in a house...or trying to anyway. I know I can't afford a house, so I didn't bother looking for one.
Well, you said in another thread that you made 90K, so your credibility is at about Zero relating to anything you claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island