Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:06 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Given that there are around 27,500 public high schools in the US coming anywhere in the top 1500 is pretty good.
We made 519 and all it means to me is that we have a very good school. If CSH is higher that's great for them, but considering that most people will never be able to go there, the ranking doesn't mean much other than it's made the Newsweek list of great high schools. So good for Miller Place making the list yet again no matter what the rank.
Agreed.

Despite the recent cuts Miller Place still has good schools.

Its an interesting take on public perceptions and the data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 11:25 AM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Slashed programs at the high school would include the drama club, literary magazine, newspaper, robotics team and SADD, among others. At the middle school, the cheerleading program would be eliminated as well as the football, basketball, volleyball and wrestling second teams.
These are all programs that could continue just without school funding. For example, Lacrosse just became a regular high school sport in our school but before that we had school club teams where the parents paid and volunteered their time so the kids could play the sport. So if the parents and kids want these programs then they'll find a way to have them.

Old 03-05-2011, 03:19 PM

Quote:
These are all programs that could continue just without school funding. For example, Lacrosse just became a regular high school sport in our school but before that we had school club teams where the parents paid and volunteered their time so the kids could play the sport. So if the parents and kids want these programs then they'll find a way to have them.
I agree.

Except the taxes are already high and its all hands on deck in many cases.

Either way, this thread wasn't about the district, just about public Newsweek perception and salesmanship.

I think you make a good argument and I happen to agree.
If the programs are to survive is another story.

Crooks

Old 03-05-2011, 09:09 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I think summary of this thread should be:

LI schools are good.

Most of the people who don't think they are good have an axe to grind about taxes. That's a perfectly valid "axe", but trying to defend the position that taxes are too high by saying the schools aren't good makes you look like an idiot.
This thread reeks of this. For the entirety of the time I have been reading this board the overwhelming push by the pro-LI people is always that the schools are the best and that we cannot defund schools, in fact most pushed to continue passing budgets, because we have some of the best schools. Then this comes out, and people scramble to attempt to give a reason why schools that are top-funded, in districts filled with a high percentage of educated households, in an area that stresses which SD is better, that our SDs don't really come in as the top.

Most people like to be savvy shoppers, so if my outrageously high taxes is only giving me a slightly better result (if at all) to other comparable districts, then obviously I am not getting my monies worth.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I agree.

Except the taxes are already high and its all hands on deck in many cases.

Either way, this thread wasn't about the district, just about public Newsweek perception and salesmanship.

I think you make a good argument and I happen to agree.
If the programs are to survive is another story.

Crooks
I was just using MP as an example because of the article. To me it's crazy for the citizens of a school district to get up in arms because they didn't make the top 50. I do think a list like this is a good indicator that a district is doing something right. And maybe home sellers can ask more for their homes.

The taxes are an issue. If I'm being taxed on the high side and expecting the SD to provide the extracurricular activities then I'm going to be ticked when they disappear. Especially if my taxes don't go down.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:49 AM

Quote:
I was just using MP as an example because of the article. To me it's crazy for the citizens of a school district to get up in arms because they didn't make the top 50. I do think a list like this is a good indicator that a district is doing something right. And maybe home sellers can ask more for their homes.

The taxes are an issue. If I'm being taxed on the high side and expecting the SD to provide the extracurricular activities then I'm going to be ticked when they disappear. Especially if my taxes don't go down.

Perhaps.

Im not sure which list thought it was ok to include Private schools either, but I believe we all agreed it was terribly suspect and BS.

I would venture to say that if they published the entire list (with the other 94%), that the whole LI school system, with few exceptions, would be in the top 25%. I believe that speaks more to the parents and communities than just about anything else.

Simply put, despite the buttraping, we put a much higher priority on education than other parts of the country.We have to if our kids are ever to be able to live here and afford our taxes

If I were in any district being stripped for parts and paying 15-20k a year plus, I'd probably go Postal too.

Crooks

Old 03-06-2011, 01:34 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:

What if you are consistently in the top 10 counties in the country when it comes to cost of said school districts? Why should you have to pay that much if you aren't "allowed to" expect your school district to at least be in the top 50?

Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Perhaps.

Im not sure which list thought it was ok to include Private schools either, but I believe we all agreed it was terribly suspect and BS.

I would venture to say that if they published the entire list (with the other 94%), that the whole LI school system, with few exceptions, would be in the top 25%. I believe that speaks more to the parents and communities than just about anything else.

Simply put, despite the buttraping, we put a much higher priority on education than other parts of the country.We have to if our kids are ever to be able to live here and afford our taxes

If I were in any district being stripped for parts and paying 15-20k a year plus, I'd probably go Postal too.

Crooks
Is there any national list that does not include private schools or public schools that have criteria students must meet beyond simply living in the district in order to attend?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Hey if you don't like including private schools then this will also make your day. Three schools from Henrico County made the list. 519 Deep Run (My son's school), 1029 Henrico, and 1161 Mills Godwin which is not bad for the tax money. But here's a little secret about Henrico High, it buses in two groups of the counties brightest.

Quote:
It is unique among Henrico County High Schools in that it has two specialty centers—the International Baccalaureate (IB) Middle Years/Diploma Program and the Center for the Arts Program (CFA).
Nothing wrong with including Henrico High but there isn't an asterisk or foot note indicating that the county is busing in a lot of smart kids to bring up the school's numbers. One reason for this has to do with the state Standards of Learning and making sure that what would normally be an under performing school gets certified. Bottom line, the school isn't somewhere I would move to.

So the list really doesn't always reflect a school district like MP, but also private and county wide schools all with different resources. Of course those kind of things aren't mentioned in the list.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
What if you are consistently in the top 10 counties in the country when it comes to cost of said school districts? Why should you have to pay that much if you aren't "allowed to" expect your school district to at least be in the top 50?
Good point, but I think the list is being looked at in ways that don't match what it's data represents. See my post above about Henrico High which meets the school district requirement but isn't strictly a neighborhood school. So if you want your kid to go there you could live anywhere and get them bussed to the school if they make the IB or CFA programs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island