Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 05:12 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,320,495 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdairyp View Post
big deal ballpark the same, $82,000 not 3/4 making over 100k.
Someone else said that and they mentioned only one SD as "3/4 making over $100K," not all of them. I HOPE HE FINDS THAT LIST AND CAN PROVE WHAT HE SAID.

Quote:
Are you claiming newsday to be biased in favor of teachers? since when?
Since they are considered such a "liberal rag" by many, I am surprised they are not, but no, I am not claiming they are biased in favor of teachers, but sometimes they don't get everything right, so it's better to go to the source.

Quote:
I have seen current gross salary lists for all of long island. Including all the administrators (and there are a huge number of them, more than you might think, there is a lot of fat there) about 1/3 of all the employed people make over 100k ... so if you looked at just the teachers its an even smaller amount and many of them are many years into the system
I agree that the layers and layers of highly-paid administrators, multiplied by over a hundred school districts on LI, are a huge drain.

Quote:
The point is people like to exaggerate here and think more than half of LI teachers are pulling in a six figure salary, which is not true.
I don't think 75% of them are making $63K and under either yet some people like to suggest that. I also don't think multiple teachers are making $230K a year just because 1 is. I just wanted to find out what is actually going on.

Quote:
And then it becomes comical because these same people will jump to another thread and claim you have to make 6 figures to 'make it' in long island. I guess these people think teachers should be struggling to teach here.
6 figure TOTAL FAMILY INCOME, not 6 figures for each part of the typical 2-adult wage earner family unit.

Quote:
Do you work at all or do you just make angry posts all day.
I think you're the one who is angry and has a chip on your shoulder. Why?

Did you know that the entire world does not work "9 to 5"? I'm not kidding you. Yes it's true! Life is really NOT like the sitcom "The Office." Many of us actually work whenever our employers want us to and for how long they want us to, thanks to the beauty of electronic leashes, such as the crackberry and the internet.

Therefore, please note that if anyone dares post on this forum between what you consider "the official working hours of the entire world," it does not necessarily mean they are naughty employees who are "supposed to be working." Thank you for your courtesy in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:34 PM

270 posts, read 970,094 times
Anyone know if there's a way to just get Teacher salary data from seethruny? I assume, from the large disparity of salary figures, that a listing for an entire district includes all employees, from a temp office worker all the way to superintendent.

I guess in the end it doesn't matter, since our tax dollars are paying for all of these folks anyway. It's interesting to see how far I had to go down the list before they drop below 6 figures. I had to scroll down 567 employees in the district before I fell below $63K, out of 932 total employees.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 PM

330 posts, read 888,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Did you know that the entire world does not work "9 to 5"?
It has nothing to do with time of posts, its frequency of posts. You like to start threads on teachers and taxes and you participate heavily in them. I peruse them and make a few comments here and there. Look at the current threads now, there are like three of them I think running in and out of police / cop salary etc. Soon to be closed down most likely, to be reopened in another form 3 days later, how many do we need.

I am angry and have a chip? why because I disagree with you. If you look through your posts they are rife with caps and exclamation points. Mine are generally full of data and backup and calling for facts from people making points off the cuff. You call foul on people and the stats they post but if the same is done to you it is out of anger?

Here is a simple fact, "When asked about “cutting current teachers’ salaries, pension plan and other benefits in order to reduce school property taxes,” 65% of Long Islanders were somewhat or strongly opposed. " But if you read these post you would think the whole world of long island is itching for cuts just waiting for a leader to do it.
Long Island Index: Aim High to Reduce Taxes

I merely want to see backup to what people are saying, in the form of links to relevant sources which I routinely provide in my posts but seem to be absent from most.

Last edited by djdairyp; 06-11-2009 at 06:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 06-11-2009, 06:29 PM

659 posts, read 2,518,568 times
Quote:
It has nothing to do with time of posts, its frequency of posts. You like to start threads on teachers and taxes and you participate heavily in them. I peruse them and make a few comments here and there. Look at the current threads now, there are like three of them I think running in and out of police / cop salary etc. Soon to be closed down most likely, to be reopened in another form 3 days later, how many do we need.

I am angry and have a chip? why because I disagree with you. If you look through your posts they are rife with caps and exclamation points. Mine are generally full of data and backup and calling for facts from people making points off the cuff. You call foul on people and the stats they post but if the same is done to you it is out of anger?

Here is a simply fact, "When asked about “cutting current teachers’ salaries, pension plan and other benefits in order to reduce school property taxes,” 65% of Long Islanders were somewhat or strongly opposed. " But if you read these post you would think the whole world of long island is itching for cuts just waiting for a leader to do it.

I merely want to see backup to what people are saying, in the form of links to relevant sources which I routinely provide in my posts but seem to be absent from most.
I truly agree with you. I gave up commenting on most arguements about teacher salaries awhile ago. Most people spew innacurate Newsday propaganda and refuse to see the truth about teacher salaries.

Because one teacher in central islip makes a lot of money, they are too ignorant to realize that 99.9% of teachers do not make even close to top salary and most teachers do not make enough money to live on LI. Because people went through the school system, they feel like experts on the topic of teachers. (However they ignore the pay raises of Ny officials and taxes paid to worthless govt programs).

I commend your efforts to educate the public. I know how you feel, there are way too many posts attacking teachers with no facts whatsoever.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:59 PM

82 posts, read 180,115 times
Default Won't buy ur dime for a quarter

Quote:

Here is a simply fact, "When asked about “cutting current teachers’ salaries, pension plan and other benefits in order to reduce school property taxes,†65% of Long Islanders were somewhat or strongly opposed. " But if you read these post you would think the whole world of long island is itching for cuts just waiting for a leader to do it.

I read the Link,..to be fair,..Most people polled would like to see the Teachers put their own money in pension/health Funds,..not the tax payer.

I for one don't want to see salaries reduced,..just that Teachers and all State employees take their salary money and put it towards their pension/health fund.

What people don't relize it that while (I'm a Union Worker), I make 44/hr before taxes,..my Union package is 89/hr. $10 goes to my health,..8 goes to welfare fund,..12 goes to my pension and their other things.

Union contracts are more than Salary,..I would GUESS,..if you don't mind,..that atleast their 30% more money given to a Teachers salary other than what you see. I would love to know the package number if anyone has it.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
I truly agree with you. I gave up commenting on most arguements about teacher salaries awhile ago. Most people spew innacurate Newsday propaganda and refuse to see the truth about teacher salaries.

Because one teacher in central islip makes a lot of money, they are too ignorant to realize that 99.9% of teachers do not make even close to top salary and most teachers do not make enough money to live on LI. Because people went through the school system, they feel like experts on the topic of teachers. (However they ignore the pay raises of Ny officials and taxes paid to worthless govt programs).

I commend your efforts to educate the public. I know how you feel, there are way too many posts attacking teachers with no facts whatsoever.
Thanks, I am getting to be about done with it as well I think, my primary interest on these threads is to read about housing in LI which is much more interesting to me but at times even that runs into teacher talk and I get drawn into it a little despite trying to resist.

Without people to fight with, the threads will simply become like minded people spewing off their anger and will die quicker plus become more boring. I do actually understand what people are complaining about and I do think LI teacher salaries are high, as they should be, in one of the most costly places to live in the US, but I do see changes on the horizon in some form and there will be a big party on city data.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokerdepot View Post
I read the Link,..to be fair,..Most people polled would like to see the Teachers put their own money in pension/health Funds,..not the tax payer.
It says they want increases in how much is put into pension/health (not a total coverage of it right, increased contribution), I agree ... but, the pension portion is small actually, Learning Abount NYSTRS | Library | NYS Teachers' Retirement System, if you scroll down you will see the percentage of salary given to pension, and some years it is near zero. Teachers do pay into it for the first 10 years as well. I do agree they should pay into it for their whole career. The teachers pension is often a point of attack for tax reduction but in reality it is so well funded and managed that killing it would have little effect on taxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepokerdepot View Post
I for one don't want to see salaries reduced,..just that Teachers and all State employees take their salary money and put it towards their pension/health fund.

What people don't relize it that while (I'm a Union Worker), I make 44/hr before taxes,..my Union package is 89/hr. $10 goes to my health,..8 goes to welfare fund,..12 goes to my pension and their other things.

Union contracts are more than Salary,..I would GUESS,..if you don't mind,..that atleast their 30% more money given to a Teachers salary other than what you see. I would love to know the package number if anyone has it.
Many teachers also do contribute to health care. For me, 20% of the cost is taken out of salary to pay for the health care package. This should be extended to all districts (some pay zero or smaller amounts) as well as other govt employees. I understand what you are saying about the extra 30% or so (I think its less, but don't know) for healthcare and that is more on the taxpayer but to be fair its also a benefit that most private sector employees working for companies get as well so all those salaries must be increased as well for comparison purposes.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:09 PM

124 posts, read 293,045 times
The reason is it nearly impossible to find teacher salaries anywhere is because it is LI's dirty little secret. Even the teachers that are posting refuse to offer up the salary steps. If you google certain districts you can go to their home page and find their contracts, but I (and others) have only been able to find 2 that actually list district salaries. Northport lists salaries (p.74 on their contract page and believe it or not Northport is one of the lowest paying districts). Teacher with Masters (and you must have a masters by year 5 in NY) is 15 years-$84,000. Teacher in Manhasset with masters, 15 years-$104,671 (page 39 of their contract). Also remember most teachers have their masters plus 15 or 30 or 45 extra credits. Granted these are steps earned by taking courses, however most teachers are reimbursed to take these courses. The funny thing about all these posts-it always comes back to the high cost of taxes on LI. and teacher salaries. It is easy to earn 6 figures in these districts by having the extra credits and/or by coaching, etc. Teachers earn extra money by doing lunch duties, bus duties or coaching. Many or most teachers do coach something. And honestly many are not experts in the field they coach, it is an extra job with extra pay for many.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:27 PM

655 posts, read 2,184,295 times
DeWitt Clinton is on that list?

Yeah, it's clearly flawed.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherNYer View Post
The reason is it nearly impossible to find teacher salaries anywhere is because it is LI's dirty little secret. Even the teachers that are posting refuse to offer up the salary steps.
I have posted them at least 5 times. Everyone wants to complain about transparency. #1) seethruNY has all teachers salaries in a database, number 2, here is the link to the salary scales for all LI ...
http://www.lischooltax.com/06-7NasSal.pdf
http://www.lischooltax.com/06-7SufSal.pdf

See no big secret. Now enjoy yourself in North Carolina and stop trying to settle some ex teacher grudge of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island