Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 03:29 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkStreetKid View Post
Hey if you don't like including private schools then this will also make your day. Three schools from Henrico County made the list. 519 Deep Run (My son's school), 1029 Henrico, and 1161 Mills Godwin which is not bad for the tax money. But here's a little secret about Henrico High, it buses in two groups of the counties brightest.

Nothing wrong with including Henrico High but there isn't an asterisk or foot note indicating that the county is busing in a lot of smart kids to bring up the school's numbers. One reason for this has to do with the state Standards of Learning and making sure that what would normally be an under performing school gets certified. Bottom line, the school isn't somewhere I would move to.

So the list really doesn't always reflect a school district like MP, but also private and county wide schools all with different resources. Of course those kind of things aren't mentioned in the list.
Talking NoVa Right?

Whats the difference? Its like a Mid Atlantic LI.
Wouldnt surprise me at all. Having DC as a back drop is about as close to a NYC influence as you could have on education.

We looked at Reston years ago. Certainly no bargain, but beautiful.

NoVa's awesome.

You moved from Babylon ..right?

Crooks

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-06-2011 at 03:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 03:43 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Talking NoVa Right?
We're in Central VA, about 90 miles south of DC and NOVA. Other schools that did well in the immediate area are Midlothian (3 of their HS made the list), Richmond and Chesterfield. Further down the list than NOVA but with lower taxes and COL. But that's also missing from the list. It's nice seeing CSH up near the top, but without knowing the economics and taxes for the school you only get part of the picture.

I think the list is flawed but I'm not sure how to remove the flaws. The folks looking at the list have to do some research and draw their own conclusions. To use MP once more, they may be doing just as well as always but moved down the list because other schools could have a push going on that moved them up. So it's not like they're doing worse, just others are now doing better.

I moved from my beloved NB, my wife from CSH/Laurel Hollow (with a stop in WB for a few years).

Old 03-06-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
We're in Central VA, about 90 miles south of DC and NOVA. Other schools that did well in the immediate area are Midlothian (3 of their HS made the list), Richmond and Chesterfield. Further down the list than NOVA but with lower taxes and COL. But that's also missing from the list. It's nice seeing CSH up near the top, but without knowing the economics and taxes for the school you only get part of the picture.

I think the list is flawed but I'm not sure how to remove the flaws. The folks looking at the list have to do some research and draw their own conclusions. To use MP once more, they may be doing just as well as always but moved down the list because other schools could have a push going on that moved them up. So it's not like they're doing worse, just others are now doing better.

I moved from my beloved NB, my wife from CSH/Laurel Hollow (with a stop in WB for a few years).
Midlohtian is beautiful.

Good point on the list.

If I were transferred, I could do VA. I dont think I could do NC.
(See below)

Last edited by Crookhaven; 03-06-2011 at 04:54 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 04:20 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
I never really put any stock in these lists myself and really consider them just for entertainment... However, for all the talk everyone does about "Northern public schools", it's pretty amazing how many Southern schools appear highly ranked. FL stands out as one state that surprised me with so many entries.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:20 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Good point, but I think the list is being looked at in ways that don't match what it's data represents. See my post above about Henrico High which meets the school district requirement but isn't strictly a neighborhood school. So if you want your kid to go there you could live anywhere and get them bussed to the school if they make the IB or CFA programs.
All three of Valley Stream's high schools are on the list and they are strictly neighborhood schools:

299 Valley Stream South
422 Valley Stream North
742 Valley Stream Central

Not bad for a place some of my cohorts on the LI C-D board like to make fun of.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
All three of Valley Stream's high schools are on the list and they are strictly neighborhood schools:

299 Valley Stream South
422 Valley Stream North

Props for VS.

Crooks

Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,882,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Midlohtian is beautiful.

Good point on the list.

If I were transferred, I could do VA. I dont think I could do NC.
(See below)
Everyone says their traffic is worse than here... we took it off our list... no point.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Everyone says their traffic is worse than here... we took it off our list... no point.
Agreed we ***** a lot but were not as bad as other places.

IMO Worst traffic EVER SoCal Imagine LI w/o LIRR.

2nd Worst DC

3rd Boston(even after the dig)

4th NYC/LI/NNJ

Old 03-06-2011, 07:02 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post

Yes traffic in NOVA sucks big time.

Midlothian is just south of Richmond in central Va. no traffic at all

I was at the Richmond Coliseum today watching the semifinals of the CAA mens basketball. Me and my sons were the only fans rooting for Hofstra but they lost to ODU They gave you 3 games including the finals tomorrow for the price of 1.

I left after the game with no traffic at all. I never run into traffic in Richmond or Chesterfield.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:40 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

299 Valley Stream South
422 Valley Stream North

Awesome!!! Not bad for the "hood". Congrats to VS!

For what it's worth here's an article about the local (surrounding Richmond area) high schools that made the list. One thing you'll notice that even though these are county schools they all benefit from affluent neighborhoods and often a lot of taxes from area business. Also most of the schools here that made the list are also specialty schools. What that means in the case of affluent neighborhood schools (Deep Run, Mills Godwin, Freeman) which are normally top notch is not much, but in one case being a specialty school means a lot and shows a major flaw in the how the ratings are determined (how to rate a school within a school).

Top High Schools

Quote:
HENRICO HIGH SCHOOL (HENRICO)

Fully Accredited | Student pop. 1,985 | 1029th on Newsweek’s list | Specialty Schools (International Baccalaureate and Center for the Arts)

Henrico High School is included in Newsweek’s most recent list of top U.S. high school, but that appears to reflect students in the school’s prestigious IB program, a key criterion for Newsweek. The IB program draws some of the county’s brightest students, who must apply to the advanced studies program. It also includes a second specialty school, the Center for the Arts, which likewise draws top students.

However, SOL scores for the entire student body don’t reflect high overall performance. Of the schools in our list, Henrico had the lowest SOL pass/advanced. During the 2008-2009 academic year, Henrico reported more dropouts — 98 of them — than any other school in the Richmond metro region.

While drawing top students to its specialty programs, Henrico also serves many of the county’s most economically challenged students. Forty-six percent of Henrico students are at or below poverty level. The percentage increased after the recent adoption of school attendance boundaries that drew more poor neighborhoods into Henrico High’s area.

“We reach beyond the regular instruction day,” principal Ron Rodriguez says, with tutoring programs and Saturday school. “If we extend the day for our students, we’re going to get them where they need to be.”
BTW, Author David Balducci graduated from Henrico High.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island