Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 05:55 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Just lay out in your yard in a bikini all day...
Keep your sunglasses on and watch them.
They do anything stupid, start yellin' at 'em...
Heh heh!
Laying out in a bikini might scare them away!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 06:18 AM

1,056 posts, read 2,140,552 times
they cannot come on your property. the homeowner must ask your permission to put up a fence over 4 feet. if not, you can take him to court and the town will make him take it down. it fun watching them take it down when the town tells them to. big chunk out of thier wallet.

even if the fence goes up, if your plant life grows onto the fence its his tough luck. its natures call: not his.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
they cannot come on your property. the homeowner must ask your permission to put up a fence over 4 feet.
Even if he's replacing an existing 6' stockade tied to a 5' chain link? I thought once a fence existed, replacing it was ok.

I've decided that I'm going to take the day off and work in my yard all day or sit and read a book. Oh, and I'm going to park sideways at the end of my 3 car wide drive so he or the contractors cannot park in my driveway, as he's often done (without asking). Tough if it's a narrow street.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:57 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Laying out in a bikini might scare them away!
Well, then maybe that's a good thing!

Old 07-14-2009, 07:55 AM

1,416 posts, read 5,600,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KENNY GUIDO View Post
the homeowner must ask your permission to put up a fence over 4 feet.
Depends on what the Town's code is for fencing in that particular location. Codes usually put either a 3- or 4-foot limit on fences that are located along the front yard property lines but the max is usually higher (6 or 8 ft) for fences that are along backyard property lines.

If someone wants to put up a fence that is higher than code allows in that location, they are supposed to apply for a variance. There will be a hearing for the variance, and before that hearing the Town will mail a letter or postcard to all homeowners whose property would be impacted by the variance being asked for. Those homeowners can then come to the variance hearing and object, if they wish.

To the OP: Might be worth your time to check with the town to see if your neighbor actually has a permit for the existing fence(s) he is replacing, and whether his proposed new fence is legal or not!

I agree with all those who say that the neighbor is allowed to trim any part of your plantings or trees that overhang his property line but he cannot cut, remove, or otherwise harm any parts that are on your side of the line.

Also, do you know for sure that his existing fence is on "his" property rather than yours? You said it's "on the property line" and that can be a real can of worms because technically a fence needs to be just INSIDE the property line (on the property of the fence-building owner). Does the survey that you got when you bought your house (it should be with your mortgage documents/title policy papers) show the neighbor's fence? It sounds as if one has been there for awhile.

My suggestion would be to first check with the town to see if any of the fences (stockade, chainlink, or proposed new one) are even on the books in the first place.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:06 AM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times
Well, today's the big day. I hope everything goes all right with you. I had the same problem with a neighbor once (also one of those plastic fences ) so I know how that can be. Let us know how things go.

Here is an article about PVC fences......

Illiopolis: Center of Disaster and Environmental Hazard

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 07-14-2009 at 06:06 PM..

Old 07-14-2009, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by totallyfrazzled View Post
To the OP: Might be worth your time to check with the town to see if your neighbor actually has a permit for the existing fence(s) he is replacing, and whether his proposed new fence is legal or not!

I agree with all those who say that the neighbor is allowed to trim any part of your plantings or trees that overhang his property line but he cannot cut, remove, or otherwise harm any parts that are on your side of the line.

Also, do you know for sure that his existing fence is on "his" property rather than yours? You said it's "on the property line" and that can be a real can of worms because technically a fence needs to be just INSIDE the property line (on the property of the fence-building owner). Does the survey that you got when you bought your house (it should be with your mortgage documents/title policy papers) show the neighbor's fence? It sounds as if one has been there for awhile.

My suggestion would be to first check with the town to see if any of the fences (stockade, chainlink, or proposed new one) are even on the books in the first place.
Actually, I closed on this house in 1998 without a survey using an online mortgage company. The fence was there before I moved in (and based on it's condition then, quite a while before). I've never added my own fence or had a survey done (though I know I'll need one to sell - and should have one - but they ain't cheap!)

I don't really care if he puts a new fence up - though I wish it weren't one of those plastic ones - but it's not my choice and he has a right to put up what he thinks looks nice from his side. I just want my plantings left alone. He has his side to do with what he wants, all I want it my side to do the same. Live and let live. If I could afford it, I'd put my own stockade in front of his fence to hide it from my side - but that's not possible.

Also, this guy could care less about town codes. He built a storage unit for his boat against the other neighbors property line, maybe 3 or 4' from the fence and large enough for the boat and cars and a motorcycle. I'm sure it would be classified as a garage - which you can't put that close to the property line. But since it wasn't against my fence, I let the neighbors have the call as to whether or not to complain. This guy is at the end of a dead end, so his 'front' yard borders my and my neighbor across the street side yards.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:42 AM

20,042 posts, read 20,844,919 times
"this guy" sounds like he needs a good beatin'
"this guy" and the couple of 100K just like him are part of the reason LI quality of life is in the toilet...just sayin...

Old 07-14-2009, 09:31 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
"this guy" and the couple of 100K just like him are part of the reason LI quality of life is in the toilet...just sayin...
Amen to that.

Come on in, cut down all the trees. Put up fucco. Surround the castle with a plastic fence (moat soon to follow.) Create a runway of concrete for the Escalades and Navigators. Add lots of curlicue corkscrew shrubs and a Mary on the Half Shell. Don't forget a ridiculously ornate concrete fountain. Please remember to behave like a 300 pound petulant child and bully the neighbors -- after all, they are nothing but year-round hicks who are 'benefitting' from the 'upgrades'.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:05 AM

Quote:
And that's why I want to move so badly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island