Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 11:41 AM

18 posts, read 39,450 times

Advertisements

We are moving from the west Coast, Los Angeles area (Pasadena) next year to Long Island.
My Husband is from the Manhattan area but has been away over 30 years.
I’m looking for an area that doesn’t close down by 7pm, if you won’t to go out for a bite to eat.
We love the area but are unfamiliar with the different places, Huntington bay, Islip and Brookhaven are a few places that we seen online. How are these areas? Is there other area to recommend ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 11:45 AM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
Huntington has lots of nightlife. You can definitely go out there, especially on the weekends, and find a very hopping scene. I grew up there, and went out there with some HS friends a couple of weeks ago and you would never know there was a recession or people were trying to cut back. Every place was packed.

I think you will find it's much the same in most "downtown" areas on Long Island though.

Where is your job going to be?

Old 07-20-2009, 11:54 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

shers, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:02 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shers View Post
We are moving from the west Coast, Los Angeles area (Pasadena) next year to Long Island.
My Husband is from the Manhattan area but has been away over 30 years.
I’m looking for an area that doesn’t close down by 7pm, if you won’t to go out for a bite to eat.
We love the area but are unfamiliar with the different places, Huntington bay, Islip and Brookhaven are a few places that we seen online. How are these areas? Is there other area to recommend ?
Huntington Bay is a lovely area a stone's throw from Huntington Village.
The website you saw for Brookhaven is for the Town of Brookhaven, which compromises several hamlets and villages. (I see Walter Greenspan has provided the breakdown as to what particular designations on LI mean.)

Within the Town of Brookhaven you might consider Port Jefferson Village (not Port Jefferson Station) Belle Terre, Setauket, Poquot, Old Field, Stony Brook all are within close proximity of Port Jefferson Village -- a 'New Englandish' town on the water with many restaurants and clubs, waterfront parks, special amenities for residents, etc.

There's Northport Village which has restaurants, waterfront parks and a strollable downtown.

Smithtown, within the Town of Smithtown, also has restaurants and a nightlife of sorts.

You don't mention a budget with regard to price of house or taxes, style of house you prefer, any special needs -- proximity to highway, easy commute to NYC, waterfront/waterview, etc... That info could give those of us on the board a better idea of what you might be looking for.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:07 PM

I I’m a photographer and my husband will be a consultant (semi-retired).
We’re looking around $650,000 to spend on a home. We want to get out and be a part of the community. Love all kinds of cultural activities.
Our youngest child is starting NYU this fall, no school age children at home.

Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 PM

I love various architectural styles of homes from California Spanish to contemporary. I know that I will have to tweak any home we buy. I will need a studio and a downstairs master suite for my aging mom. I will probably have to add those on.
I would love a house with a view or waterfront but I don’t think it’s in the budget. I would prefer to spend it on the house.
Thank you for your replies

Old 07-20-2009, 04:39 PM

341 posts, read 1,535,972 times
Huntington bay and Centerport would be very nice choices. My wife and I used to live in Los Angeles, moved to Manhattan 5 years ago and now we're moving to Long Island. We found a nice place in Huntington bay. What my wife really loved about Centerport and Huntington was the village and the geography. the hills remined her a lot of hollywood, actually (even though the parking is better and larget lots!)

Also look a bit at Sea Cliff - it's a cool little town. You'll get more for your money in Huntington or Centerport, though.

Old 07-20-2009, 06:21 PM

22,670 posts, read 36,804,509 times
The West Neck area of Huntington is nice because you can walk into the village. You can get in there in the 600's now.

Good luck!

Old 07-20-2009, 07:40 PM

124 posts, read 292,973 times
Huntington is a fabulous town, I grew up there and it is still hopping on the weekends. It offers shops, restaurants, cinema, park and museum. It is a great town. Huntington Bay and West Neck area are an excellent choice. Northport is a really nice town on the water also. But I think overall Huntington beats everything else.

Old 07-20-2009, 08:34 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherNYer View Post
Huntington is a fabulous town, I grew up there and it is still hopping on the weekends. It offers shops, restaurants, cinema, park and museum. It is a great town. Huntington Bay and West Neck area are an excellent choice. Northport is a really nice town on the water also. But I think overall Huntington beats everything else.
Really?
You need to get out more.

I'd take Northport, Port Jefferson, Babylon Village and Sayville over Huntington in a heartbeat.

All of which have great culture, MUCH better schools and far less drama to the south.

Huntington seems to think its still the crown jewel of Suffolk county.
Albeit lovely, it has some very stiff competition.

IMHO Huntington peaked many years ago, it really ought to stop drinkng its own kool aid.

Crooks

FWIW
650k puts you in Belle Terre
http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/Belle-Terre_NY_11777_1108529730 (broken link)

Last edited by Crookhaven; 07-20-2009 at 08:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island