Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2009, 09:42 PM

69 posts, read 241,326 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious because it seems that no one has cared about the theater or it's future until an application was filed by someone looking to start a business in the location. Only then did the residents decide the theater was so integral to their lives and pulled out all the stops to get it renovated. If you didn't care before, why care now?

The residents rose up and prevented someone from starting their own business which, from my understanding, would be a blessing for the area given the economic downturn. There are plenty of boarded up store fronts, so I would think that if the town had buyer willing to open a business as opposed to keep an abandoned building that no one previously cared about, that they'd make the right call.

It just gets me to see all these petitions and protests and people trying to raise money to protect the theater--where was all this effort for *years* when the building was just sitting there? Don't you want businesses that actually generate income and tax revenue in your town? Plus it was a day care, which I'm sure many local residents would find useful.

I happen to know the people involved with the day care and they have waited very long for a location to start their business. It's sad to me that they are now unable to do that. I get the idea of preserving what people might feel is a landmark, but my point is that no one gave a crap about it all that time...not until someone wanted the location.

I'd like that mentality explained to because it's very frustrating to watch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 06:16 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
I can't recall seeing movie listings for the Islip movie theater for at least 7 or 8 years now. I think it's only been abandoned for 2 or 3 years now though.

Old 08-06-2009, 10:18 AM

16,905 posts, read 16,130,561 times
Sounds to me that people "gave a crap" all along - it's just that there was no threat to it's existence until now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: