Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 07:48 PM

10 posts, read 82,849 times

Advertisements

We've been to 2 dealers and were told that although our vehicle is eligible for the CARS rebate program, that they could not physically give us the car until all the paperwork was submitted and approved by the government. Basically, negotiate price, put a down payment to hold the vehicle, dealer submits paperwork and hopefully in 7-10 days government sends approval and you can come in and get your car.
One of the dealers told us that they have suspended the Cars for Clunkers program because they refuse to give over new vehicles to buyers before the government has even approved them.
My husband says this is illegal. Has anyone had any luck buying a car through the Cash for Clunkers program here on Long Island?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2009, 07:55 PM

518 posts, read 1,821,476 times
thats because the program was running out of money, but i thought i read that they fed the program 2 billion more dollars to keep it going

Old 08-12-2009, 07:57 PM

874 posts, read 2,876,053 times
Why would they release the car without the government letting them know that they are definitely going to be reimbursed the money they took off of the price for the clunker program. Of course they would have to wait for the government to approve it first. If they do the deal and the government does not approve it then the dealer is personally out of the $3,500 or $4,500. The clunker bill was not created for the dealer to lose money.

Old 08-13-2009, 01:36 PM

453 posts, read 1,536,354 times
NHTSA says report them for fraud if they will not release the vehicle to you and/or apply for reimbursement without the transaction being completed (clunker in their possession etc). It's not illegal for them to opt out of the program, and a large number of dealers have opted out of the program.

We bought at Atlantic Kia and didn't have to wait.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:42 PM

874 posts, read 2,876,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
NHTSA says report them for fraud if they will not release the vehicle to you and/or apply for reimbursement without the transaction being completed (clunker in their possession etc). It's not illegal for them to opt out of the program, and a large number of dealers have opted out of the program.

If this is true a dealer would be out of his mind to be involved in the program. What happens if the government does not reimburse the dealer? He would just be out of his money?

Old 08-13-2009, 09:54 PM

453 posts, read 1,536,354 times
They can ask you to sign a waiver or still come ask you for the money (doesn't mean they'll get it), but they can't hold the new vehicle OR allow you to keep your trade while waiting for approval. But also, if all the paperwork is inline there shouldn't be a problem.

It's really a mess of a program, and it's a lot more work and risk than a lot of dealers anticipated.

Old 08-14-2009, 07:47 PM

999 posts, read 2,358,540 times
Quote:

This is the problem with our retarded govt...

Our money spent, going to another country, that's how to fix the economy.

That program should have only been for US vehicles.. Then you would figure there would be some patriotism in this country... imagine that!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:58 PM

518 posts, read 1,821,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post

That program should have only been for US vehicles.. Then you would figure there would be some patriotism in this country... imagine that!
even if the companies are foreign, buying their cars helps out the people who work for them in this country. aside from the dealerships themselves, many of the foreign companies have plants to build the cars here too. i think the domestic companies should start making better vehicles if they want to sell them and survive

Old 08-14-2009, 09:37 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,103 times
I just got rid of a 20 year old vehicle and received 4,500 toward a shiny new car. You need proof of insurance for the past year, title, reg. I had to fill out a short government questionaire and was basically in and out. The dealership, which had some of the best staff I ever dealt with, also provided rebates on top of that. Free money. low interest.

On top of that I was able to remove almost anything from inside the vehicle I wanted such as an Alpine system and speakers I put in less than 2 years ago. Was worth about 500 buck..any takers? cheap.

Dealership advised If I didnt get it someone else would...I didn't even have to worry about damaging the dash or doors removing it.

Easiest money I ever made.

Old 08-15-2009, 01:50 PM

2,897 posts, read 4,409,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMA View Post

Thats actually a good idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: