Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 11:28 AM

3 posts, read 5,798 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

My wife and I are interested in moving to LI. We currently live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and work in Manhattan and we make good income.

We are interested in moving to a nice town with easy commute to the city and the houses should be in our price range (max 450 K). Note that since we are first time home buyers, the lower the price the better for us. Ideally we would prefer a house in 300's.

We were thinking of New Hyde Park, Garden City Park, Mineola, Franklin Square, East Meadow and Levittown.

We would like to know your thoughts and opinions regarding these towns. Note that easy commute and safety are important factor for us.

Also one more question, for our budge we wonder what is the average closing costs in the towns that we mentiooned above?

All your inputs are appreciated.

M & D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 11:32 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2li2009 View Post
Hi all,

My wife and I are interested in moving to LI. We currently live in Bay Ridge, Brooklyn and work in Manhattan and we make good income.

We are interested in moving to a nice town with easy commute to the city and the houses should be in our price range (max 450 K). Note that since we are first time home buyers, the lower the price the better for us. Ideally we would prefer a house in 300's.

We were thinking of New Hyde Park, Garden City Park, Mineola, Franklin Square, East Meadow and Levittown.

We would like to know your thoughts and opinions regarding these towns. Note that easy commute and safety are important factor for us.

Also one more question, for our budge we wonder what is the average closing costs in the towns that we mentiooned above?

M & D
Well the good news is you're already on LI. So that part you have.

For an easy commute, well I wouldn't go further east of those areas. New Hyde Park isn't a bad area, but not sure of the prices.

2,942 posts, read 6,005,661 times
Not sure about the towns, but average closing costs usually are 1.5% to 2.0% of the gross transaction price, so if you purchase a home for 350k, figure about 5-8K in closing expenses.

264 posts, read 877,937 times
Your best bet out of those is probably New Hyde Park or Garden City Park if commute is one of your bigger concerns- you could find a nice-priced house in those areas.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:22 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,675,092 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

new2li2009, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html and //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

//www.city-data.com/forum/long-...you-think.html may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a house that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:15 PM

32 posts, read 67,092 times
If your looking for a house under $400K with an easy commute to the city, look into South Valley Stream. The schools are good and it's accessible to shopping and the parkways. Plus the taxes are generally lower than the rest of Nassau County.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:22 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,877,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Well the good news is you're already on LI. So that part you have.
Please tell me people only say this because of a technicality. My wife is from Bay Ridge and I grew up in Queens. There's absolutely no way we felt we were a part of LI.

Anyway, you want a house in the low 400s and an easy commute to Penn Station, try Hicksville (away from the train station). 5 minute drive to the station (still far enough away) and then 40mins straight west every morning, my wife has done it 7 years now.

If you are looking to move to a town permanently though, Hicksville schools are lacking (past elementary anyway)... we're planning on upgrading soon for that reason only. The town itself has been pretty good for us.

Old 09-29-2009, 02:52 PM

Hi All,

We would like to thank each and every one of you who took the time to reply back to our post. We will definitely consider all your inputs.

We hope to find the right place to purchase a home and live where we can stay put for very long time.

For us, an easy commute and safety are very important. We don't have kids but we are planning to have children in the near future so we are interested in places with good schools.

Based on our research we find NHP and GCP are very convenient because of their locations. That's why we have them on the top of our list.

We also like Levittown, the prices are really good there in comparaison to other areas in Nassau. However the commute maybe is much longer than NHP and GCP.

Again we appreciate all your inputs and thoughts to help us make a good decision.

M & D

Old 09-29-2009, 02:56 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,167,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2li2009 View Post
Hi all,

M & D
I see youve been priced out of Bay Ridge.
(Keep in mind taxes are the killer on LI...are you ready for around 10k in taxes?)

Given the towns you mentioned, Id prefer to stay there if I had the money.Bay Ridge is very nice.

Id add Babylon and Huntington to your list.
(Think mid 4s)

Crooks

Old 09-29-2009, 03:03 PM

That's correct Crookhaven, we were priced out of Bay Ridge. Too expensive!!!

Huntington is a nice place but too far from Manhattan. Our commute will be difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island