Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 07:25 AM

21 posts, read 58,265 times

Advertisements

I only mentioned it because someone else suggested it here, and because it is near where most of my family live. But I can see from the stats you post that it is not in line with what we're looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 07:28 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,175,232 times
Brookhaven Democratic Committee

Unitarian Chuches and a thriving Jewish, Asian, Indian, Mixed community.

You need to get past White/Black

liberal does not equal race

Crooks

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
The districts that serve VS South are predominantly Valley Stream 24 (which also serves the Village area to the north of Sunrise Highway) and Hewlett 14(which serves a small and more southern area of VS South). Hewlett 14 is a better school in terms of statistical performance, but you will have much higher property taxes than VS 24 and your kids will be going to school almost exclusively with children who are not diverse nor liberal, but are from a highly white and conservative area.

Curious as to what makes you interested in Stony Brook. It cannot be described as diverse in terms of racial/ethnic makeup and actually smacks to me of a place that only gets called liberal and progressive because there is a university and college students are mostly liberal and progressive, so perhaps the population "looks" like it is because there are so many college students there. However, college students are transient and most leave the area for good in a few years (to be replaced by different mostly liberal and progressive college kids). Although maybe you just like college towns and being around students. Nothing wrong with that!

I think the heart of Stony Brook, which is the permanent residents, could be better described as leaning on the conservative side (even the professors), with a few that might appear to be liberal and progressive because they do things that are "trendy" when viewed by other conservatives, like adopt children of different races, but even their values are generally more on the conservative side. At any rate, here are the C-D stats:

Races in Stony Brook:

White Non-Hispanic (89.8%)
Chinese (3.1%)
Hispanic (2.4%)
Black (1.2%)
Asian Indian (1.2%)
Two or more races (0.9%)
Korean (0.6%)

Last edited by Crookhaven; 10-11-2009 at 07:37 AM..

Old 10-11-2009, 10:17 AM

1,010 posts, read 3,931,608 times
"You need to get past race" is always posted by people who live in almost entirely white communities and are trying to justify Long Island segregation. (Rocky Point: 95.6% white. Garden City: 94.2% white.)

It is impossible to be "past race" when we are living with the legacy of racial segregation and steering.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:18 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,688,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
You need to get past White/Black

liberal does not equal race

Crooks

Historically, liberals are hypocritically very racist: after pushing for busing in the 1950s, they were the first to move to the Great Neck area (includes the Village of Great Neck and the other 8 villages and 4 hamlets that are in the "Great Neck, NY 11020 through 11024" ZIP Code postal zones) and other suburban communities when busing came to their Brooklyn neighborhoods.

A decade earlier, the post-WWII liberal Congress passed Urban Renewal legislation that included legalized redlining that, within a few short years, block-busted some well-integrated neighborhoods in Brooklyn and concentrated Blacks into a few ghettoized neighborhoods.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:54 AM

21 posts, read 58,265 times
So I'm seeing liberal = racist = great neck...Hm. Seems there's another, even more sinister association being made here.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:13 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Historically, liberals are hypocritically very racist: after pushing for busing in the 1950s, they were the first to move to the Great Neck area (includes the Village of Great Neck and the other 8 villages and 4 hamlets that are in the "Great Neck, NY 11020 through 11024" ZIP Code postal zones) and other suburban communities when busing came to their Brooklyn neighborhoods.

A decade earlier, the post-WWII liberal Congress passed Urban Renewal legislation that included legalized redlining that, within a few short years, block-busted some well-integrated neighborhoods in Brooklyn and concentrated Blacks into a few ghettoized neighborhoods.
Conservative Garden City has had a MUCH uglier history regarding race than Great Neck has...

Old 10-11-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Conservative Garden City has had a MUCH uglier history regarding race than Great Neck has...
True; but, I've never heard anyone claim that the people in Garden City were hypocrites.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:17 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I agree with Dix Hills.

However, I would not agree with RVC.

RVC is not diverse:

Races in Rockville Centre:

White Non-Hispanic (86.5%)
Hispanic (7.7%)
Black (3.7%)
Other race (2.8%)
Two or more races (1.0%)

It is also not a liberal town. Maybe there was some liberal in charge once upon a time which is where they got their low-income housing project from.

For example, why did Rockville Centre refuse to have this community, Lakeview, in their school district and foist them off on a different Village, Malverne:

Races in Lakeview:

Black (84.9%)
Hispanic (6.9%)
White Non-Hispanic (5.2%)
Two or more races (3.9%)
Other race (3.4%)
American Indian (1.3%)

Ancestries: West Indian (23.8%), Subsaharan African (2.7%), United States (2.4%), Irish (1.4%).

Why did they not welcome these children?

Lakeview is so closely associated with Rockville Centre, that when you are looking for homes on the website of the MLS of LI, the houses in Lakeview are actually listed on the website under Rockville Centre. There is no category at all for Lakeview itself.

Go on there (MLSLI.com – Long Island Real Estate – Find A Home in Nassau, Suffolk & Queens) and search Rockville Centre for homes. The homes listed as going to the Malverne School District are actually in the Hamlet of Lakeview.

I could be wrong, but a long time ago I swear there was a massive fight by Rockville Centre to shunt Lakeview children off to the Malverne SD. Feel free to correct me if I am imagining things.

PS: I wonder how many RVC residents that read this are going to dash off angry emails to the MLS of Long Island.
That is interesting, as I read a book titled, "Up North" that talked about Blacks from the South moving to Rockville Centre in the '20's. I wonder if Lakeview is what that book in actually referring to?

Also, I believe Malverne has always had a large Black student population. Here's some information about how the Malverne SD was involved in a school integration case and some history about the issue: http://people.hofstra.edu/alan_j_sin..._iii_3d_26.pdf

http://www.s4.brown.edu/schoolsegregation/schoolsegdatapage/codes/schoolseg.asp (broken link) (you can click on Olson v. Board of Ed. 1966)

Old 10-11-2009, 12:20 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Would places like Wheatley Heights, Baldwin, West Babylon and Farmingdale fit?

Old 10-11-2009, 12:26 PM

Default For those who may not be familiar with Lakeview

The Hamlet of Lakeview can be geographically very confusing because Lakeview is one of those many villages and hamlets on long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Lakeview:

Lakeview is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) in the center section of the Town of Hempstead, in the southwest part of Nassau County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Lakeview in the Town of Hempstead is bordered on the north by the Hamlet of Malverne-Oaks and the Hamlet of West Hempstead; on the east by the Village of Rockville Centre; on the south by the Village of Rockville Centre and the Village of Lynbrook; and, on the west by the Village of Malverne.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/5e/Lakeview-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Lakeview is one of those many villages and hamlets on long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name as part of their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Lakeview have a "West Hempstead, NY 11552" and "Rockville Centre, NY 11570" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): //www.city-data.com/forum/long-...-resource.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island