Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:07 AM

85 posts, read 233,445 times

Advertisements

I moved to Centerport 5 months ago and could not be more content. the Harborfields sd is phenomenal, the local library is beautiful, and I drive to the Huntington train station only 8 minutes away. CSH is very nice, but I prefer CPT. Here you have access to Huntington Village, Broadway in Greenlawn, Main Street in Northport, as well as Larkfield rd. in East Northport. Good Luck to you in your search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 10:41 AM

10 posts, read 41,826 times
Re: the commute - I moved to Dix Hills and commute to NYC every day, around the time your husband does. In Dix Hills you are close to highways - in less than 20 minutes I am at Hicksville train station (do need to pay to park), and 40 minutes later in Penn. So just under 1 hour from front door to Penn Station. With many trains from Hicksville. Schools are great too.

Old 10-13-2009, 05:58 PM

44 posts, read 135,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kew2006 View Post
Oh, one other thing...concern about Laurel Hollow. Wondering if because it is not in Suffolk would I be in no man's land in terms community. Right now we live on the very border of two towns and have never really felt that we were a part of either community. Most of our activities take us to the other town (parish, shopping, etc.) but technically we don't live there. We don't know many people from our town because we chose to send children to parish nursery school and even if we stayed wouldn't do the public school. Wondering if that would still be the case in Laurel Hollow since many of our activities would probably be in Syosset.
Not at all. If community is important to I'd say most of your activities will probably end up taking place in and around Huntington Village and you'd easily feel like part of the larger Huntington community. Everyone I know in LH is very much a Huntingtonian. I agree that school district events will make up much of your activities calendar.

One important thing to bear in mind is that you will be unable to get a parking sticker for the CSH LIRR station if you live in Laurel Hollow and will have to use the not as nice and farther away Syosset train station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kew2006 View Post
very interesting. there is one house in Centerport that is AWSOME that is leading my husband toward there. But, we aren't buying until early spring so I doubt that one will still be there. Did you commute to city from there? Just trying to narrow down the area we want to target.
If you love the Centerport house, I say go for it! To be honest, I think Harborfields is every bit as good as CSH (based on the great kids I have known both districts to turn out). I think Harborfields (which is slightly more diverse) also affluent gives kids a more rounded idea of the "reality" of the larger population around them.

Commuting to Huntington that early in the AM shouldn't take more than 10-15 mins, depending how far you are from 25A.

Old 10-13-2009, 06:12 PM

264 posts, read 878,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Harborfields is a school district, not a village or a hamlet.
Oops. I tend to use Harborfields for the Centerport/Greenlawn area- but I do know that not all of Greenlawn is in Harborfields school district. and that some of Huntington goes to Harborfields.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island