Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Generally speaking I find the the folks that hate it most here either cant afford it (or are struggl
Agree 57 54.81%
Disagree 47 45.19%
Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2009, 08:31 AM

748 posts, read 2,887,208 times

Advertisements

I can afford to live in Long Island. And my current commute is less than 15 minutes to work. Everything is rosy until I go shopping at the Westbury plaza ( located in the Hamlet of East Garden city, I know) and have to circle 5 times to find parking. And when I do, someone else comes to me and says, that was my spot, you better take your car out since I was waiting before you!

I took my family to watch Fireworks in Jones beach, and it took me 1 hour to get out! I cannot help but dream of living in small towns and wish for a more human place to live in during those times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Try SoCal or DC.

Sorry but it sounds like more sourgrapes from the underclass(of which I am a part).I dont think Id be complaining as much if I wasnt worried about my next mortgage payment or sitting in traffic to get to my waterfront estate.

Maybe Im wrong, money cant buy happiness but it can buy some peace of mind.

Average LIers are freaking the F out right now because LI is losing its affordability, are being left in the past, and we know it.
This is a wealthy Island folks...never lose sight of it.

JMHO

Crooks

Old 11-24-2009, 08:32 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I think affordability is the number 1 factor, no doubt. That means house prices and taxes. However, high on the list for others is:

1. Traffic
2. Access to other points west of here.
3. Population density
4. What is generally perceived as a "me first" culture where rudeness prevails. Self interest and the accumulation of wealth are dominant here and you don't see a lot of selflessness, empathy, and kindness to others. To be fair, this is indicative of the whole NY metro region.

word.

Old 11-24-2009, 08:34 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Anyone who thinks Long Island is a wonderful place to live, whether they can afford it or not, are either sailing up the river of delusion or just aren't well travelled.

Thats probably 100% incorrect.

In fact its just the reverse.

Crooks

Old 11-24-2009, 08:35 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Long island is great, no doubt about it, but its over rated !
If your favorite store starts to sell milk @ $8 per gallon from tomorrow, you will complain right ??? Its not about the milk (which is awesome) but at $8 you might just think that its not worth buying it from that store anymore !!

Old 11-24-2009, 08:36 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
until I go shopping at the Westbury plaza ( located in the Hamlet of East Garden city, I know) and have to circle 5 times to find parking. And when I do, someone else comes to me and says, that was my spot, you better take your car out since I was waiting before you!
you would've heard them yelling it was their spot before pulling in if it wasn't for all the airplane noise

Old 11-24-2009, 08:37 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdeshpan View Post
I don't agree with you!
I have lived and visited all over (Virginia, NJ, Maryland, Dallas, San Jose, Seattle etc) and I really don't think this place (LI) is really worth all the money one would have to spend to find a decent place to live. All construction is years and years old and one still has to pay a fortune for crap.

If anyone, I think it is you those who say "agree" to this one haven't lived any place else...or else they would know that even though a lot of these other places are expensive, at least you can find a better quality of life there, with lower taxes and better schools.

Now I know you are gonna say why I am still here then -- I am here just because of both our jobs at this moment...will move out as soon as we can find something for both of us outside...hopefully Northern Virginia...love that place!

OH and BTW, trust me...we can definitely afford to live here...just don't find it worth our hard-earned money!

Just my $0.02!

Perhaps but when you can pull off the trifecta of great schools, magnificent ocean beaches next to the greatest city in the world, you'll have a strong argument.

It is me or is the majority of the dissatisfaction coming from Nassau?

Crooks

Old 11-24-2009, 08:43 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Perhaps but when you can pull off the trifecta of great schools, magnificent ocean beaches next to the greatest city in the world, you'll have a strong argument.

It is me or is the majority of the dissatisfaction coming from Nassau?

Crooks
if i lived in queens east, i'd probably not be as happy as i am now living in suffolk

Old 11-24-2009, 08:47 AM

244 posts, read 540,215 times
I have a job that I can take almost anywhere I can get enough Internet bandwidth, so I'm not stuck here. My family is all over the place, the wife's is all here. But she'd move in a heartbeat given the chance. So, neither money, family nor convenience are the prime reasons to stay here.

About the only reason I can figure is laziness

Given all that, here's a list of what I find wrong with LI:

1) Overcrowding. From too many people all over the place, to traffic, you name it. It's overcrowded. Extremely so. Unless, of course, you're in Manorville, Muttontown, or some other somewhat spacious area.
2) Property taxes. Unreal, and rising all the time. The schools are out of control, always have been, and seemingly always will be. I used to work in a place that gave me an insider's view of the education system here on LI. These people spend money like a drunken sailor without any idea of restraint. It's freakin' horrible.
3) Electric rates. Again, unreal.
4) Various other reasons I won't get into, way too many to list, but given 1 through 3 above, you get the idea.

Pet peeve:

Oh, and stop saying "IN Long Island". If "Long Island" was a city/town/whatever, it's "IN".

Long Island is not an entity. It's an ISLAND. You are ON Long Island.

If you were talking about "Long Island City", you can say "IN Long Island City".

Me, I'm ON Long Island, and IN Lindenhurst

Old 11-24-2009, 08:52 AM

76 posts, read 179,426 times
As much as I love LI, I would have to say that if you (or a spouse, family member) do not work in the city (or an industry directly tied to the island) you can probably find a comparable quality of life for less money elsewhere.

But if you do have a job in the city or are a school teacher/cop/whatever, etc, etc, you cannot beat LI. Sure beats the heck out of dirty Jersey and the snootiness of Westchester and CT.

To complain about the congestion and population density of the suburbs of the largest city on this continent (and arguably the most famous city in the world) is crazy. These things should be a given.

The beauty of this place is that you can step off the train from your $$$ Manhattan job and jump in your boat for an evening cruise or pick your kids up from an excellent school.

Last edited by TubaFish; 11-24-2009 at 09:05 AM..

Old 11-24-2009, 08:54 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
I think affordability is the number 1 factor, no doubt. That means house prices and taxes. However, high on the list for others is:

1. Traffic
2. Access to other points west of here.
3. Population density
4. What is generally perceived as a "me first" culture where rudeness prevails. Self interest and the accumulation of wealth are dominant here and you don't see a lot of selflessness, empathy, and kindness to others. To be fair, this is indicative of the whole NY metro region.
I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island