Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 06:56 PM

137 posts, read 356,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
White Castle is the pinnacle of franchise owned fast food. They use the best quality beef, they sell a unique product and they're open 24 hours EVERY day. If your stomach can't handle it you're a WIMP!

i was told white castle doesnt even use meat in thier burgers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2010, 07:36 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YELLOWMONTE View Post
i was told white castle doesnt even use meat in thier burgers.
I don't think they do either. I can stomach McDonald's but I can't even look at anything from White Castle much less actually eat it. I went once, and I spent the entire visit wondering how anyone could eat it.

And I am a pretty big fan of fast food.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:06 PM

239 posts, read 612,498 times
Default I <3 White Castle!

Wasn't White Castle the first fast-food burger place? And don't they steam their burgers instead of "flame broil" (aka: fry) them?
Anyway, I think the stomach problems associated with White Castle are purely psychological. Anything nicknamed "Belly-Bombers" will certainly lead a person to think that his or her stomach will act up, thus leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy ...
White Castle is so good. I am suspicious only of the chicken rings. HOW do they get them to be that shape???????

Old 03-24-2010, 09:19 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,722,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MegDrew View Post
Wasn't White Castle the first fast-food burger place? And don't they steam their burgers instead of "flame broil" (aka: fry) them?
Anyway, I think the stomach problems associated with White Castle are purely psychological. Anything nicknamed "Belly-Bombers" will certainly lead a person to think that his or her stomach will act up, thus leading to a self-fulfilling prophecy ...
White Castle is so good. I am suspicious only of the chicken rings. HOW do they get them to be that shape???????

Hey -- the egg has to pop out of someplace!

Old 03-25-2010, 04:48 AM

137 posts, read 356,885 times
i thought all american in massapequa was the first burger place!

no, I dont think white castle was. I think thier design was meant to help people distinguish them from other burger joints, so they werent the first.

Old 03-25-2010, 09:34 AM

White Castle in general predates All American, but I believe All American was in place before Massapequa White Castle.

White Castle (restaurant) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"White Castle is an American regional fast-food hamburger restaurant chain–the first of its kind in the United States–known for its small, square hamburgers."

"White Castle was founded in 1921 in Wichita, Kansas. Walter A. Anderson partnered with cook Edgar Waldo "Billy" Ingram to make White Castle into a chain of restaurants and market White Castle. At the time, Americans were hesitant to eat ground beef after Upton Sinclair's 1906 novel The Jungle had publicized the poor sanitation practices of the meat packing industry. The founders set out to change the public's perception of the cleanliness of the industry. To invoke a feeling of cleanliness, their restaurants were small buildings with white porcelain enamel on steel exteriors, stainless steel interiors, and employees outfitted with spotless uniforms."

Old 03-25-2010, 09:46 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
I vote for more Chick-Fil-A 's ... I love their stuff.
Also anyone knows where to get good Po-Boys in Suffolk ? I crave for it once a month !

Old 03-26-2010, 09:31 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,108,790 times
I thought Nathan's was the oldest (the soda cups and everything say "since 1916")? McDonald's is up there too.

Old 03-26-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I thought Nathan's was the oldest (the soda cups and everything say "since 1916")? McDonald's is up there too.
From the Nathan's site I learned that Nathan's started as a stand on Coney Island in 1916 and didn't open it's second stand until 1956 in Oceanside. The third location opened in Yonkers in 1965.

White Castle started after Nathan's, but was well on it's way to becoming a regional chain in the 1920's. Nathan's is older as a location while WC is older as a chain.

McDonald's came late to the party opening it's first location in 1940.

Old 03-26-2010, 11:57 PM

136 posts, read 492,694 times
Bring back Roys!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island