Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 07:48 PM

659 posts, read 2,517,945 times

Advertisements

This list also has superintendants, principals, chairs, deans, etc., not just teachers. The very high salaries of these people are on a different contract than the teachers and the many over $100,000 are these people. This list is misleading because it is not just teachers. It is artificially inflating.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:55 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,414,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by llama8 View Post
This list also has superintendants, principals, chairs, deans, etc., not just teachers. The very high salaries of these people are on a different contract than the teachers and the many over $100,000 are these people. This list is misleading because it is not just teachers. It is artificially inflating.
Yes, I noticed that but I looked at Herricks for the names of my sons' teachers and recognized quite a few names that were over $100K.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:02 PM

68 posts, read 197,910 times
Quote:
How are they inflating? It would only be inflating if they were listed in total. They are listed individually. I would think one could intelligently assume the top salaries for each district are the administrators.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 PM

213 posts, read 703,252 times
Quote:

Administrators, at least in my district are 12 month employees, work past last bell and attend night time and weekend events. Our teachers work 185 days a year and can't even come to a PTA meeting.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:15 PM

577 posts, read 979,740 times
RE:Administrators, at least in my district are 12 month employees, work past last bell and attend night time and weekend events. Our teachers work 185 dys a year and can't een come to a PTA meeting.

That's a common misconception administrators & the Superintendent in the East Williston School District are on a "12" month schedule but also get 20 vacation days so in reality they work about 20 more days then teachers about 180 or so days a year. Plus how hard do you think they work when there's a skeleton staff in the building. I guarantee you no-one is killing themselves!

Teachers do not work 185 days per school year...another misconception. They get sick days, personal leave days, emergency days, illness in the family days off, snow days etc. In East Williston the average teachers shows up about 160 times a year and if they're in the HS teach for 3:40 per day! Outrageous!

Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy123 View Post
Administrators, at least in my district are 12 month employees, work past last bell and attend night time and weekend events. Our teachers work 185 days a year and can't even come to a PTA meeting.
I am merely stating that the thread says teacher's salaries and the reality is the list also includes many administrators, not just teachers. I am just stating a fact as some may be mislead by the title of the thread and ready to bash teachers as making $150,000+ when in fact, they are administrators.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maisy123 View Post
Administrators, at least in my district are 12 month employees, work past last bell and attend night time and weekend events.
That's a good point to bring up. I was having a discussion recently with a coworker and they thought the administrators had summers off

Old 05-20-2010, 08:21 PM

That's a common misconception administrators & the Superintendent in the East Williston School District are on a "12" month schedule but also get 20 vacation days so in reality they work about 20 more days then teachers about 180 or so days a year. Plus how hard do you think they work when there's a skeleton staff in the building. I guarantee you no-one is killing themselves!
[/quote]

Ugh...I think you are making a lot of presumptions here. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:36 PM

59 posts, read 91,184 times
Administrators work past last bell? Awww... poor things.

How about grading papers until 1 in the morning on a regular basis?
How about prepping lab solutions and materials, then dealing with administrivia every second you have free during the day, maybe wolfing down lunch in about ten minutes?
How about staying late and giving up even that lunch time to review for tests with kids?
How about preparing lesson plans on your weekends, and MAYBE trying to get ahead on them during vacations?
How about spending thousands of your own dollars a year on school and laboratory supplies?
How about being made to sit through the same mind-numbing meetings over and over again, when you really could be doing something PRODUCTIVE for your students?
How about coming home physically exhausted every night after trying to provide your students with an education, but being forced to take on the extra tasks of cop, nursemaid, arbitrator, psychologist, and child welfare advocate?
How about doing all this, and more, at a starting salary of 50K or less?
How about coming home from an awards ceremony, on your own time, as moral support for the good students who actually try hard, about a half hour ago, then sitting down at your computer and having to read THIS B.S.?

GOOD teachers earn every cent they make.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANiceChianti View Post
Administrators work past last bell? Awww... poor things.

How about grading papers until 1 in the morning on a regular basis?
How about prepping lab solutions and materials, then dealing with administrivia every second you have free during the day, maybe wolfing down lunch in about ten minutes?
How about staying late and giving up even that lunch time to review for tests with kids?
How about preparing lesson plans on your weekends, and MAYBE trying to get ahead on them during vacations?
How about spending thousands of your own dollars a year on school and laboratory supplies?
How about being made to sit through the same mind-numbing meetings over and over again, when you really could be doing something PRODUCTIVE for your students?
How about coming home physically exhausted every night after trying to provide your students with an education, but being forced to take on the extra tasks of cop, nursemaid, arbitrator, psychologist, and child welfare advocate?
How about doing all this, and more, at a starting salary of 50K or less?
How about coming home from an awards ceremony, on your own time, as moral support for the good students who actually try hard, about a half hour ago, then sitting down at your computer and having to read THIS B.S.?

GOOD teachers earn every cent they make.
I absolutely agree with you. The tripe on this board are written by people that know nothing about teaching at all. Such ignorance is so annoying. They all act like they know it all.

LI obviously disagrees with them as almost all the budgets passed. I have learned to just let them spew their garbage. It is not worth trying to argue with people that really don't care to learn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island